News VB captain, Dangerfield and Sloane co-vice

Remove this Banner Ad

I strongly disagree and don't think the evidence supports you - you don't squander a lead with a dubious game plan as you don't get the lead in the first place.

Our game plan wasn't that different to sydney.

That being said, l can at least see where you are coming from. Even if its a bit revisionist

Although it doesn't say much for the club if you were right that over many years they couldn't see it. After all they didn't "want" to get rid of Neil. He just lost the players so badly that their hand was forced. Eventually.

Wasn't his game plan a high energy, high gut running defensive game plan?

Losing leads does if the player could not sustain it for the entire 4 quarters. It's also not like him to change his mind. His was stubborn, he didn't change his mind to prove sone stupid point and if the players were losing game after squandering a large lead, why? Fitness as they were far too spend to finish a game.

IIRC - his game plan required all 18 players to gut run and clog up the back half of the ground and then run forward. When the players were tired, their low skills fell away and they were not able to compete. The zones and clogging up the ground allowed them to gain a lead and break to score. Against quality teams, this wasn't as successful and we had no plan B.

Perhaps but it does strongly suggest there is a less than viable part of the other options that makes them secondary

I don't think you can say there is anything at all more viable about this scheme, than choosing a long term sole captain for the future

And I think they have.

I don't think VB is going anywhere ( in terms of captain) for 2 or 3 years.

Did anyone hear VB on 5AA tonight? I didn't but afterwards I thought I heard Rowey say that VB said he didn't even consider stepping down? Could be wrong but how could he not even consider that option?

Rowey was anti the decision, good to hear someone speak out against it.

Such a silly move, 3 captains.

Also did Sando say VB was one of the most professional athletes in the world? Sando stop talking silliness.

Also did Sando say VB was one of the most professional athletes in the world? Sando stop talking silliness.

Yeah he did say that.

What's so bad about it? He did not say his performance, ability, potential or athletic prowess were world class.

He said professional. He said he had world class professionalism. As in how he prepared his body to play the game, how he trained, how serious he took his training and development, his skills and knowledge, how he looked after himself, his body, his diet, hydration and rehab. That can be world class, things like that can be measured and assessed to being a world class athlete.

Stop finding things to bag him about because you didn't get your wish FFS.

You'd consider stepping down if you hadn't the support of the players or didn't think you'd be back and able to contribute.

Why would this be surprising unless he thinks because he has lost the support of the BF fraternity he should step down.

silliness it seems is catchy

Did he say world class or one of the most professional athletes in the world? The reason I find this silly is there are millions of athletes all over the world playing different sports, to make such a claim without having seen these millions of athletes train is more than silly.

Did he say world class or one of the most professional athletes in the world? The reason I find this silly is there are millions of athletes all over the world playing different sports, to make such a claim without having seen these millions of athletes train is more than silly.

It's not really that ridiculous, is it? We always hear that AFL athletes prepare with a similar level of professionalism to other elite sports across the world, and VB is among the best in the AFL.

As for VB not considering standing down, why would he? The club clearly wanted him to stay on. He is intending to be back this year (whether that's a realistic goal is another question, but of course it is a goal he would have set for himself). Why would he consider stepping down? Furthermore, why would he declare in an interview that he was thinking of standing down right after the club gave him an endorsement? All it would achieve would be sending mixed messages.

I get it, you're not happy with the announcement, but that doesn't mean you have to invent fault in every sentence from every person involved in the decision.

You'd consider stepping down if you hadn't the support of the players or didn't think you'd be back and able to contribute.

Why would this be surprising unless he thinks because he has lost the support of the BF fraternity he should step down.

silliness it seems is catchy
Because he has a severe injury that some BF fans have called career threatening, also allows him to concentrate on his recovery whilst eliminating the silliness of 3 captains

Darren Burgess coached at one of the premier sports clubs in the world and believes out athletes are training at those standards. If our best is VB its easy to make the comparison.

Because he has a severe injury that some BF fans have called career threatening, also allows him to concentrate on his recovery whilst eliminating the silliness of 3 captains

This injury is only "career threatening" if you buy into the theory that VB will struggle to get back into the best 22 once he returns because others will have shot past him in the interim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was barely best 22 this year.

Kerridge
Lyons
Crouch (maybe both)
Grigg

Will all go past him this year, if they didn't already.

Our only decent mid who might retire this year is Thommo.

So you honestly think VB should have sat back and said "you know what, I reckon a bunch of players are going to go past me this year, meaning that I might never play again. Better hand in the captaincy"?

Be serious.

So you honestly think VB should have sat back and said "you know what, I reckon a bunch of players are going to go past me this year, meaning that I might never play again. Better hand in the captaincy"?

Be serious.

Should have retired I guess.

It's not really that ridiculous, is it? We always hear that AFL athletes prepare with a similar level of professionalism to other elite sports across the world, and VB is among the best in the AFL.

As for VB not considering standing down, why would he? The club clearly wanted him to stay on. He is intending to be back this year (whether that's a realistic goal is another question, but of course it is a goal he would have set for himself). Why would he consider stepping down? Furthermore, why would he declare in an interview that he was thinking of standing down right after the club gave him an endorsement? All it would achieve would be sending mixed messages.

I get it, you're not happy with the announcement, but that doesn't mean you have to invent fault in every sentence from every person involved in the decision.
Yes it is ridiculous, if he said he is one of the most professional athletes in the afl fair enough, but we are talking about the world, it's a big place.

Why would he consider it? I've explained that.

Publicly stating it, what harm would there be in saying he had to consider if it was the best thing for him and the club but he decided he was the right choice?

It's not inventing fault, it's my opinion.

Be serious.

I am being serious.

He should've recognized, and been made to recognize, that his form last year didn't warrant a spot in the side, that numerous other players have rocketed past him, and that his priority is his own form and performances - that you shouldn't be Captain if you aren't a certain starter.

Darren Burgess coached at one of the premier sports clubs in the world and believes out athletes are training at those standards. If our best is VB its easy to make the comparison.
So Burgess compared AFL footballers with the most professional athletes in the world?

So your saying AFL footballers are the most professional in the world?

No, I actually asked you to give me a list who you believe are the most professional athletes in the world?

But yes, they would be on par in terms of being professional.

They would be far more professional then NBA players, major league players and NHL players.

This injury is only "career threatening" if you buy into the theory that VB will struggle to get back into the best 22 once he returns because others will have shot past him in the interim.
If he kept up his 2013 form that would be career threatening enough.

But I don't believe it is career threatening, others have when took offence to a joke.

No, I actually asked you to give me a list who you believe are the most professional athletes in the world?

But yes, they would be in par in terms of being professional.
I don't know which sports are the most professional in the world let alone all the athletes that play individual sports, that's my point. It's silly to make that claim one way or another without seeing all the worlds athletes train.

Remove this Banner Ad

News VB captain, Dangerfield and Sloane co-vice

Remove this Banner Ad

Back