Review Vent/Autopsy Thread. Here for all your post match needs.

Remove this Banner Ad

The apologists, as usual, are out in force again. Just happy to have a club.

This football club is bereft of leadership.

Gia. Goodbye.

Whoever think Higgins played a good game fair had their head up their arse all night because he is a disgrace. Downhill skier of the highest order.

Hargrave was woeful.

Lake's earnt a two-week holiday.

Markovic is NOT UP TO IT.

Cross is gone.

And our best player, not just tonight, but since his debut, has a grand total of FOURTEEN games under his belt.

And as someone else said...they still get clapped off just for showing up.

Just bewildering and unacceptable.

looked up to it last week and kept Reiwoldt to 13 touches and only 2 goals when he has destroyed us in the past. he should play the rest of the season.

agree with Hargrave but i thought Cross was ok.

Grant is no good outside our own 50 and should be played as a deep forward.

i thought Cordy looked a little dangerous as the game went on and if he had better hands he could of kicked atleast 3. I would persist with him over Roughead as a forward as Roughead just doesnt give a contest.

We had a lot of passengers out there tonight, which is not acceptable in a professional sport.
Just because Grant and Gia laid one good tackle at some moment in the game doesn't mean they are an automatic selection for next weeks game. They are forwards, they are paid to kick goals for the team, which is something they cannot do. If I was doing the team I wouldn't have them playing, with Sherman and Vez to take their place.
Not even going to start with Higgins because he is useless.
Dahlhaus, Minson, Markovic and Boyd all played well, would have liked to see Murphy up the ground but he was playing on Milne.
Cross on Goddard was stupid, although he is a great servant of the club you knew he would get destroyed by him.
Jones just cannot compete in the air, I know he was high in the list of most contested marks last year, but you need to remember that's when Barry Hall was still going around taking the main defenders. He doesn't know how to and is incapable of using his weight to his advantage. Not to mention how many times I saw him using the one arm in a marking contest.....
Lake will be given a spell, I'm thinking 2 weeks, for obvious reasons.

Would LOVE to have a fully fit Morris and Williams out there, just so there would be somewhat stability in the back half, then to somehow try to conjure up some formality in the forward line.

The crap we witnessed tonight goes well beyond individual players. But I have to say I do agree that Cross is starting to become a worry. Lots of rubbish performances tonight of course. But he's dropping off alarmingly fast, in my view.

It is also true that we looked incredibly slow out there too. But I feel that might have been because the players were trapped in panic. They don't seem to know what they're doing at the moment - often handpassing to no-one, or hospital handpassing. Might take them a few months to get used to Macca's style.

And I know people are going on about Jones and Cordy but a) they need games, it's as simple as that. And much more importantly b) Our major problem in the forward line tonight was NO CRUMBING. I was getting extremely frustrated with Gia. Cordy landed the ball in exactly the same place at every marking contest. He's ready made for a crumber. We need to get Dahlhaus or Picken into the Forward line quicksmart.

And on Picken, he isn't getting nearly enough love tonight. I thought he did a very solid job. At one point he chased at full tilt for 150m straight across 4 different players. It was the kind of example many of our players (including our Captain) could learn from.

What's that going to solve?

He can take a grab. Has a big frame on him. If we can try and get him 1 out we have a chance.

I though djekurra(?) played well when he came on as the sub. I think he should be in from the start.

With Lake most likely suspended we are in trouble down back next week.

Read the whole thread and agree with many of the sentiments.

I could pick on certain players but that is not where the issue is. Can anyone please tell me what has seriously changed since last year except for a game plan that appears to be jump on the ground get the ball and handball it to someone under pressure?

When Blight went to Adelaide he made some significant changes to personal - Mcdermott, Mcguinees and Jarman. What has Macca done for us. Higgins, Grant, Cross, Minson, Shaggy - all past or not up to it. Boyd, Gia, Cooney and Lake all need different roles that use their skills.

Coons is gone. Lets now admit that. He cannot hit the ball and is fast becoming the worst brownlow medalist in history. In my opinion his only role is deep forward. He is a good mark and generally a good kick. He could ecke out another 3 years in that role.

Gia, deserved his chance this year. His second half last year was fantastic. If you are seriously blaming a deep forward in a smashing for our loss then you simply do not understand the game and should turn your PC off. But he does need to do more and that means getting to more contests in the forward line - like his goal last night. That was not a "cheap goal" as I saw posted earlier. It was a perfect crumbing forwards goal.

Boyd. I love him but he kicks it to much to our disadvantage. This is where we need some outside mids who can take the ball off him. Tutt, Griff, Higgins anyone?

Lake has been OK this year. Not AA but serviceable. But I am thinking we need his focus up forward. It may be robbing Peter to pay Paul, but we need a presence up forward to help the Jones. You cannot win serious games without kicking a score - St Kilda's last 3 years anyone!

And on Jones, he looks like he is becoming disillusioned with the delivery into the forward line. He just did not run to position a number of times and if we are not careful we could lose him as the real quality forward that he can become.

So in the flavour of change - should Grant go back? He kicks the ball well and the mids simply do not kick to him in the forward line. Higgins across HB - is that a better option?

Why is Tutt out. Why is Ves out. Why is Roughy playing as a loose man in defence?

We have 4 to 6 years of Melbourne like performances if we continue with this path of playing players on rep rather than performance.

blaming Macca 2

Why should the blaming Macca thread have been closed

There was someone one liners but most of it was constructive criticism

This is a footy site that people can vent off their thoughts you mods shouldnt close a thread unless its defaming, rude ,or not in the best intrest for people to read

Off to Burma maybe Mods

Re: blaming Macca 2

Fred, Blaming Macca isnt going to achieve anything. It woldnt have mattered last night who was the bloody coach. He is 3 games in - Rome wasnt built in a day. He obviously did something amazing as a part of the Geelong team to change the culture down there and get the success they had.... To turn the Handbagger culture down there around wouldnt have been easy, believe me....

the fact is, we dont have the players with the talent, we dont have games in under the youngsters belts yet. Our recruiting over the last 5 years has been pathetic....

there needs to be wholesale changes at next years super draft -

Spend the rest of the year playing everyone, work out who will make the grade and who wont, and cut our losses and move forward quick smart

Re: blaming Macca 2

Why should the blaming Macca thread have been closed

There was someone one liners but most of it was constructive criticism

This is a footy site that people can vent off their thoughts you mods shouldnt close a thread unless its defaming, rude ,or not in the best intrest for people to read

Off to Burma maybe Mods

Use the official thread started by Igloo please

The blame Macca thread had nothing constructive, nothing positive and was based on a few posters taking shots at eachother because of their own views.

Tone it down or take a break fred, you're not the only BF poster who is unhappy with the loss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just sayin' that it made it a bit harder for you to compete tonight.

Very generous of you and yes, the umpiring was awful. However, you can still win a game with the umps robbing you from time to time. The Saints simply worked harder. It's hard to assess them based on the Dogs performance but September isn't beyond them.

Very generous of you and yes, the umpiring was awful. However, you can still win a game with the umps robbing you from time to time. The Saints simply worked harder. It's hard to assess them based on the Dogs performance but September isn't beyond them.

I actually didn't notice the umps too much last night but refreshing to have an opposition supporter agree we got the worst of them :thumbsu:

It was a pitiful game resembling amateurs vs professionals. Like many others I say no structure past the centre square and there was little evidence of a game plan that was based on smart football.

Whether it be a combination of inexperience and youth, there is a long way to go yet. Our centre line needs a major restructure but until we have more experience on the field we're going to have to live with it for now.

While the forward is a basket case I dont understand why Panos isnt getting a chance (how has he been going with the 2's ?)

I left at 3-qtr time last night, along with thousands of others. I've never left early in the past, even when we were getting done by 80 points, but there was something so spiritless, uncoordinated, and unimpressive about last night's game that I couldn't find a reason to stay.

Probably the most annoying thing of the night was that although the saints have been heavily criticised for not playing enough youngsters it was these guys who looked really impressive (strong, quick, and skillful) while ours (Jones, Grant, Wood, Cordy) looked anything but.

I thought we might spend 2 years near the bottom of the ladder but it's looking more like four or five before we'll challenge again...

I reckon one of our worst performers was the guy somewhere around bay 34/35 telling Riewoldt to keep his clothes on.

If the same sledge everytime the big pansy went near the ball was worth goals we would have won tonight! Get some new material mate - it wasn't even funny the first time....it is soooo 2011 :p

As far as the real stuff goes - it is going to take time to adapt to a new coach, our first two were positive in elements - tonight was god awful...from the first bounce they just didn't want it. No one backing htemselves to kick a long shot at goal, trying to pass it off. Why no big man in the square? Too many times going forward to a 1 on 3 and then it looked like we were triple teaming Riewoldt at some stages and they had loose men everywhere. Lots of chases given up...really disappointing

I believe there might be an A-League franchise available from the Jets...make an offer - 2 Goals in 3 and a half quarters is pretty impressive :p

Panos did not play for Willi yesterday, was pretty good the week before and didn't play the week before that against the Bullants

I suspect he has a niggle of some sort. Even so, I don't believe he is the answer to the forward line. He is best suited as a half forward/half back and is not the sort of player who takes a lot of contested marks.

It's just too much to expect Jones can do it alone at this stage in his career. Right now Cords and Roughy are just not quite there to be a contested force in the forward line. But they both have so much upside that I am affraid only time and games can help.

Grant is not key position. We have a few alternatives on the list. But all also need games and time. Tom Hill, Tom Campbell and Fletcher Roberts are all likely types. We should see them all get a taste of AFL this year. Campbell is the most ready. Redpath is a work in progress, I think he's finding the step up at VFL level pretty hard. He showed a bit yesterday but he's miles off.

We got smashed in the middle yesterday. Liberatore had a poor night with just 6 disposals and Clay Smith battled hard but just didn't impact, he might be tired? Boyd continues to get heaps and give his all but be the clanger king game high 9!

We got very little out of a lot of players, including Griff and Cooney who it just seemed were not on the ground. Higgins was more prominant than both of them.

We know Cross is not the future but he gets hung out a bit, he was far from worst but he does makes too many errors.

I thought Minson was pretty good all night, but still does not take enough marks forward prob never will. But we suffer when he is not in the ruck. I thought Marko battled hard, Murphy kept Milne quiet, but we lacked his run. Hargrave was up against a much bigger man and did ok. But he turns it over too much too. Wood was good and Addison also.

Our biggest issue is key forward. Tom Campbell is best placed to impact there and should be elevated. Mitch Wallis should be back in this week also.

Just to follow up my criticism of Gia, we made the same amount of entries into our forward 50 as the Saints, but didn't work on our opportunities, one of the things that really annoys me about Gia is that he can't keep his feet, he is always falling over:mad:

Panos did not play for Willi yesterday, was pretty good the week before and didn't play the week before that against the Bullants

I suspect he has a niggle of some sort. Even so, I don't believe he is the answer to the forward line. He is best suited as a half forward/half back and is not the sort of player who takes a lot of contested marks.

It's just too much to expect Jones can do it alone at this stage in his career. Right now Cords and Roughy are just not quite there to be a contested force in the forward line. But they both have so much upside that I am affraid only time and games can help.

Grant is not key position. We have a few alternatives on the list. But all also need games and time. Tom Hill, Tom Campbell and Fletcher Roberts are all likely types. We should see them all get a taste of AFL this year. Campbell is the most ready. Redpath is a work in progress, I think he's finding the step up at VFL level pretty hard. He showed a bit yesterday but he's miles off.

We got smashed in the middle yesterday. Liberatore had a poor night with just 6 disposals and Clay Smith battled hard but just didn't impact, he might be tired? Boyd continues to get heaps and give his all but be the clanger king game high 9!

We got very little out of a lot of players, including Griff and Cooney who it just seemed were not on the ground. Higgins was more prominant than both of them.

We know Cross is not the future but he gets hung out a bit, he was far from worst but he does makes too many errors.

I thought Minson was pretty good all night, but still does not take enough marks forward prob never will. But we suffer when he is not in the ruck. I thought Marko battled hard, Murphy kept Milne quiet, but we lacked his run. Hargrave was up against a much bigger man and did ok. But he turns it over too much too. Wood was good and Addison also.

Our biggest issue is key forward. Tom Campbell is best placed to impact there and should be elevated. Mitch Wallis should be back in this week also.

Thanks for the info TK, from the sounds of things there arent too many in the 2's banging on the door.

How does Campbell cope with pressure in the 2's? If he's ok then he might be able to stand up in the seniors. Where are his weaknesses?

Wood was good and Addison also.

Surely you jest, they had 30 posessions between them of which only half hit a target (most of those were dinky sideways kicks to Lake or Hargrave) had 7 clangers and only 3 rebounds and laid 2 tackles between them, they (along with Hargrave) make up prob the worst half backline in league at moment. Ves should be played as he couldn't possibly do any worse than these 2 at moment, Addison is a certain delisting at years end so why bother playing him over someone that may still make it.

Surely you jest, they had 30 posessions between them of which only half hit a target (most of those were dinky sideways kicks to Lake or Hargrave) had 7 clangers and only 3 rebounds and laid 2 tackles between them, they (along with Hargrave) make up prob the worst half backline in league at moment. Ves should be played as he couldn't possibly do any worse than these 2 at moment, Addison is a certain delisting at years end so why bother playing him over someone that may still make it.

This is what worries me, I'm not sure he is. McCartney has been banging on about players giving their all, and has been talking up Addison. He likes this sort of player. Would any other coach even bother putting games into this guy?

A weeks a long time in football. Look forward to the next game and have moved on this morning. No point looking at that game anymore as it will only do your head in. Melbourne are the ones we need to put to the sword. Will be an interesting first quarter with both sides down on confidence.

Good luck Macca and go Dogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Vent/Autopsy Thread. Here for all your post match needs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back