Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the Carlton cheer squad shiteaters barracking (I can't call it commentating) on the Carlton-Richmond VFL game said Harvey Langford did his draft hopes "no dis-harm".
smashing pumpkins 90s GIF

Sam McClure ā€œthere was an uncomfortability at Melbourneā€™s end of season functionā€.

Thatā€™s not a word is it?
Better English would be ā€˜a feeling of discomfortā€™, but the yanks think you can put ā€˜lyā€™ on anything and make it a word -( but then they drop ā€˜lyā€™ of adverbs like ā€˜really, quickly,ā€™ etc.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot of interests getting "peaked" (as opposed to "piqued") by teams and players around this time of the year, as we head towards the trade period.

Culprit: practically any AFL journo with a Twitter account.
And "join the cue", or "right on cue", instead of queue. Very common on the forum.

Also, a sneak peak.

And "join the cue", or "right on cue", instead of queue. Very common on the forum.

Also, a sneak peak.

Hmm, I'd have though "Right on cue" is correct, as in they didn't miss their cue. The commentators are talking about something and then it happens. "Toby's the danger man for GWS with the ball inside 50 and - right on cue - Greene creates something out of nothing!"

Hmm, I'd have though "Right on cue" is correct, as in they didn't miss their cue. The commentators are talking about something and then it happens. "Toby's the danger man for GWS with the ball inside 50 and - right on cue - Greene creates something out of nothing!"
Yeah, sorry, wasnā€™t thinking. Now Iā€™m embarrassed šŸ˜š

I think I've seen a bit the opposite way around e.g. "Que (as opposed to "Queue") the excuses from their supporters..."
The one that makes me laugh the most is when some little smartie on a clip does something they think is amazing or a surprise and they exclaim or write, ā€œWalla!ā€

They mean, of course, ā€œVoila!ā€

The one that makes me laugh the most is when some little smartie on a clip does something they think is amazing or a surprise and they exclaim or write, ā€œWalla!ā€

They mean, of course, ā€œVoila!ā€
unless they're bogans, then they definitely mean "Walla!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back