Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

The one that makes me laugh the most is when some little smartie on a clip does something they think is amazing or a surprise and they exclaim or write, “Walla!”

They mean, of course, “Voila!”
Unless, it's accompanying a McDonald - Tipungwuti Highlights Video 😉

Ugh! :rolleyesv1: The young voiceover girl with the annoying millennial accent is doing more ads. She's now doing ads for BWS, BUPA and Menulog. How does that happen? Does some w@nker media person at the company say, "hey, let's hire that girl with the stupid, fake voice." "Yeah, what a GREAT idea!" Are they trying to appeal to young people?

She used to do a Toyota ad: "Tek a test drarv t'dair" :tongueoutv1:

Last edited:
Ugh! :rolleyesv1: The young voiceover girl with the annoying millennial accent is doing more ads. She's now doing ads for BWS, BUPA and Menulog. How does that happen? Does some w@nker media person at the company say, "hey, let's hire that girl with the stupid, fake voice." "Yeah, what a GREAT idea!" Are they trying to appeal to young people.

She used to do a Toyota ad: "Tek a test drarv t'dair" :tongueoutv1:
Not sure I know the one

Cleanliness

"Clean lee ness"

~ jordan lewis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Temperature is in its early 20s according to JB
Ha. That's a little pet peeve of mine. He does it all the time. Yes, he refers to numbers as "late" or "early", obviously instead of 'high' or 'low', like: "I reckon the crowd is in the late 40s".

1725702147947.png

Last edited:
I searched the thread and it seems its been a while since someone brought up 'one wood', which seems to be creeping back in to the media vocabulary. Maybe it never left and I'm just listening more lately.

The context in which the footy media seem to mostly try to use the analogy is where the thing they are referring to as the 'one wood' is the team or player's main strength or most reliable method e.g.:
  • their contested ball is their one wood
  • scores from turnover is their one wood
  • his marking is his one wood
  • long kicks to the tall forwards is their one wood
  • intercept marking is his one wood

But surely most with a basic understanding of golf would know that the one wood/driver is rarely the most reliable club, for many golfers it's the complete opposite to the point they never even use it.

If they really want to say 'one wood', the better context would be where the usual things aren't working (long kicks to the talls isn't working - the 4 iron off the tee isn't working), so it 'might be time to pull out the one wood' and try to smash one 300 metres down the middle, try something different.

But better to just not use unsuitable analogies in the first place.

Last edited:
I searched the thread and its seems its been a while since someone brought up 'one wood', which seems to be creeping back in to the media vocabulary. Maybe it never left and I'm just listening more lately.

The context in which the footy media seem to mostly try to use the analogy is where the thing they are referring to as the 'one wood' is the team or player's main strength or most reliable method e.g.:
  • their contested ball is their one wood
  • scores from turnover is their one wood
  • his marking is his one wood
  • long kicks to the tall forwards is their one wood
  • intercept marking is his one wood

But surely most with a basic understanding of golf would know that the one wood/driver is rarely the most reliable club, for many golfers it's the complete opposite to the point they never even use it.

If they really want to say 'one wood', the better context would be where the usual things aren't working (long kicks to the talls isn't working - the 4 iron off the tee isn't working), so it 'might be time to pull out the one wood' and try to smash one 300 metres down the middle, try something different.

But better to just not use unsuitable analogies in the first place.
Uses the One Wood while playing the Quarterback role before shooting from Downtown.

Another one from the VFL coverage on the weekend. "team x (can't remember which) are as flat as a hat". I've heard of "flat as a tack", but hats?
It used to be “flat as a shit carters hat”. They probably tidied it up.
Before everyone had sewerage connected, Stan the dunny man would come around and take the toilet pan away and give you an empty one. He would wear a flat hat and carry the pan on it. Remember it in parts of Melbourne in the 70’s.

It used to be “flat as a shit carters hat”.
Before everyone had sewerage connected, Stan the dunny man would come around and take the toilet pan away and give you an empty one. He would wear a flat hat and carry the pan on it. Remember it in parts of Melbourne in the 70’s.
Yep, that's what all those stone laneways behind houses in the inner suburbs were for

Another one from the VFL coverage on the weekend. "team x (can't remember which) are as flat as a hat". I've heard of "flat as a tack", but hats?

It was Beveridge after the Dogs lost. It was used as a sound bite too so I heard it over and over. He actually said "as flat as the proverbial hat". Explanation as above. It did sound odd to me too as that expression has gone by the wayside these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back