Autopsy VFL - Roast, Toast and Discussion (Bye next week)

Who was your best on ground for the AFL listed players vs Port Melbourne (3, 2 and 1 vote)?

• Corey Ellis

Votes: 34 65.4%
  • Anthony Miles

Votes: 33 63.5%
  • Tyson Stengle

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Noah Balta

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Callum Moore

Votes: 6 11.5%
  • Ryan Garthwaite

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Connor Menadue

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Nathan Broad

• Oleg Markov

• Patrick Naish

• Liam Baker

• Mabior Chol

• Shaun Hampson

• Ivan Soldo

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Ben Miller

• Nathan Drummond

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Very entertaining day at the footy today. Lots of good signs from AFL listed players. The VFL listed players were all great too. A couple of years ago you really noticed the difference between AFL and VFL listed players. Not so much anymore so credit to whoever does our VFL recruiting.

Miles continues to bash down the door for senior selection. Has to be next in line for a spot in the side and probably should be there in Prestia's place tomorrow.

Ellis very good. Really took the game on and was very attacking with his disposals rather than taking the safe options.

Balta looks like he could be anything. Reads the ball in the air and off the boot really, really well. Gets himself into some great positions and has a neat kick on both sides of the body. Turned the ball over a few times with some average decision making but the positives by far outweighed the negatives.

Soldo was very good both in the ruck and around the ground. Love his aggression and his attack on the footy. Really wouldn't want to get caught up in one of his tackles! Provided an option up forward and kicked a couple I think. Still not sure if he's mobile enough for AFL level but he continues improving so all credit to him.

Chol had some good moments throughout the match and kicked a few. Dropped a couple of simple marks and misjudged the flight of the ball another time when he had his defender cold. A few missed opportunities that would have turned a good game into a very good game.

Stengle and Bolton both excellent early but both hardly sighted after halftime, especially Bolton. The game was over by then but need to stay involved for longer. Stengle really good with the ball in hand in traffic. Bolton may need to look to release the ball a bit earlier than he does. Ran himself into trouble a few times. Only a matter of time I think for both these guys to get more opportunities at the top level.

Great to see Drummond back. Didn't see a lot of it but kicked a nice goal with all the boys getting around him afterwards. Probably would have been pretty happy to just get through without any dramas. A good starting point for a young bloke coming from a long way back.

Disappointed our percentage dropped from 500% at one point to a measly 185%. :mad::D

2 players I don't rate in my vtoes today, Ellis and Soldo played the best games I've seen them play closely followed by Miles.

Moore and Balta are the reason you go along, pure entertainers. God I hope this form translates to AFL, if so we are in for an exciting era.

Chol is imo the most improved player on the list. There were times last year he struggled to touch it, he's got a real presence out there now even a bit of a strut. Hits marking contests hard and is hunting it at ground level. Still think there's a lot more improvement in him.

Small forwards were electric in the first half. Arts a VFL listed player is a good player.

A little dissapointed with Menadue and Markov today. I think Menadue may have had a close checking opponent today.

Naish looked classy albeit very outside think we'll have to wait til he puts some size on to see a more rounded player. Plenty of upside though

Drummond significantly better than last week, small steps.

Finally really think CCJ should be playing in font of Hammer. Hammer imo is not an option to play AFL, Chol and Soldo would play before him.

2 players I don't rate in my vtoes today, Ellis and Soldo played the best games I've seen them play closely followed by Miles.

Moore and Balta are the reason you go along, pure entertainers. God I hope this form translates to AFL, if so we are in for an exciting era.

Chol is imo the most improved player on the list. There were times last year he struggled to touch it, he's got a real presence out there now even a bit of a strut. Hits marking contests hard and is hunting it at ground level. Still think there's a lot more improvement in him.

Small forwards were electric in the first half. Arts a VFL listed player is a good player.

A little dissapointed with Menadue and Markov today. I think Menadue may have had a close checking opponent today.

Naish looked classy albeit very outside think we'll have to wait til he puts some size on to see a more rounded player. Plenty of upside though

Drummond significantly better than last week, small steps.

Finally really think CCJ should be playing in font of Hammer. Hammer imo is not an option to play AFL, Chol and Soldo would play before him.

I think Menadue is the carry over emergency as he was in a tracksuit during the song.

3 C. Ellis
2. A. Miles
1. T Stengle

Honourable mentions to Balta and Moore. Garthwaite played very well too, though spent most of the game at the opposite end to where the ball was.
Garthwaite is going to be a gun defender, just knows how to play the position

Problem is when he comes back into seniors he can’t transfer his VFL form etc

Indeed, but I think if he ever gets the opportunity to be the main man in the centre in the AFL team he has the ability to get similar numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was very impressed with our boys today, all over the field from the first bounce
We were switched on and ready to play the Richmond way,
Soldo, miles , cellis, ballard, were all very good in the centre square,,

Cellis looks like a different player when he plays in the midfield , more comfortable and reads the bal, so welloff the rucks hands, his kicking and general ball use was very good today , also laid some very good strong tackles , hope he continues on with this form
Going onto round 2 in weeks, if he does come into the seniors , then hopefully he gets to play onball or dont bother playing him at all

Miles was typically miles hard tough in and under his pace and spread have improved as well as his efficiency with ball in hand,,,

Stengle was his brilliant best , smart elusive , always knows what to do with ball in hand very rarely wastes a disposal , great mark for his size, and very hard to tackle
Very close to senior selection

Soldo gets better with every game he plays, running better , marking better, kicking beter and starting to get to more contests, ,really happy with his improvement

Chol as above , like soldo,,, love his left foot such a lovely laconic player

Balta,, ooooooh im excited , gee he looks good, really strong and confident in the air, takes the game on , very good mark , great on either side of the body, makes a few mistakes but who doesn't in there first year, ,, will be very interested in seeing if they develop him up fwd as well, , ( worth going to the vfl to watch )

Garth,, never ever gets flustered , great mark or spoil , he knows and makes a right choice, just about every time, so so reliable , reminds me of A kellaway , ,,, not faraway from senior selection

Markov and menadue , were fairly quiet , Menadue is the emergency tomorrow ,

Bolton was electric in first half, at one stage i thought he and Stengle were emulating the krakouer brothers, they have a great understanding between them,he faded out as the game wore on, he just needs to improve his tank and bolts will be fine

Broady, was very good, typical broady game , will come strait in next week

Morris was awesome love his leadership and his bang and crash every time he goes near the ball

Hammer - -no

Drummond got a bit more of the ball than last week, kicked one beautiful long goal
Still think he could be a good senior player, just hope he gets over his bad luck,
Second half of this year, he could do a broad or towny like last year

Ask any questions thanks for all the likes

Back