VFL strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 8, 2006
Melbourne
I heard that Big Donald has met with Port Melbourne and Frankston in the last couple of days.

Does anybody have a preference for what should happen with the development players or those left over each week?

What about going it alone?

I have heard that Frankston could be interested in starting an affiliation with NOrth.
But apparently all the talk about us and the GC seem to be in the way, thus they are hesitant about starting up an affilitation with North. Because, if, as rumours suggest, the club may be moving to the GC in a couple of years.

This is another reason why the club needs to either shut down GC rumours or come out and tell us what their plans are, NOW.

I have heard that Frankston could be interested in starting an affiliation with NOrth.
But apparently all the talk about us and the GC seem to be in the way, thus they are hesitant about starting up an affilitation with North. Because, if, as rumours suggest, the club may be moving to the GC in a couple of years.

This is another reason why the club needs to either shut down GC rumours or come out and tell us what their plans are, NOW.

Agree that GC rumours are extremely damaging to the club, but don't see it should be of Frankston's concern. If they want to try an allignment (or half an allignment) with us, they should just sign on for one year to test it out. GC would have nothing to do with it.

I would hope though, that we would at least consider going it alone. This would almost outweigh the benefits of paying 100% of the salary cap. Why would we pay a 100% anyway? Unless we trade for some big name player, our current list doesn't deserve to be paid at 100% due to lack of star players. I'd invest the money into VFL team for development purposes, and leave the salary cap room for the time when we actually start winning finals and players can have a legitimate case for a payrise.

I can see some benefits of going with Frankston and North Balarat. More senior exposure for more players and a affiliate either side of the city to allow more members access to have a look at them. I think having two affiliates is a good balance and it is cheaper than a stand alone, which unfortunately is very relevant to our club.

The club just can't afford to go it alone yet.
it can't afford it financially, and it cant afford the time to set it up with all that is happening with relocation.

I'm happy for a dual alignment to continue. It seems to have worked (except in the case of Tassie who just don't have any quality players and is in another state)

IMO it would be a major shift from the Dolphins if they were interested in coming on board with us. Bryan Mace rules the club with an iron fist and while he was drawing breath I'd expect they'd like to remain a stand-alone club?

The club just can't afford to go it alone yet.
it can't afford it financially, and it cant afford the time to set it up with all that is happening with relocation.

I'm happy for a dual alignment to continue. It seems to have worked (except in the case of Tassie who just don't have any quality players and is in another state)

The comments from the coaching staff seemed to indicate that it wasn't working. Players were often played in positions which didn't suit their development. Loose checking midfielders were rarely asked to be accountable because at that level they were able to amass a heap of possession and their opponents were just not the same calibre. The Tassie boys lacked leadership, when we were aligned with Port we had potential players in the twos because they already had players of that position in the team.

We built our success in the 90's from under 19's up.

Putting our own VFL team on the park will ensure a Melbourne identity and presence. Imagine, games every second week at Arden street, a place where senior players can keep playing when they are no longer up to AFL standard but give that leadership and experience to the kids coming through. Imagine Arch or Stevo, captain of the North Melbourne Kangaroos VFL club, giving advice to our rookies and newly drafted players as they try to force their way into the senior side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong being a stand alone side has helped their player development immensly IMO. It was fantastic for us when Petrie, Harris, Jones, Motlop and Pratt were fringe players.

I heard a rumour of Kangaroos ending up with Werribee.

This is how it would happen Williamstown would become aligned with the Bulldogs.

Werribee would then look for an alignment and the Kangaroos would be the option.

Any thoughts?

A few of these options were discussed with the head of the VFL on 3AW Sports Tonight on Thursday. He did confirm the relationship between the doggies and Werribee was strained so that was a possible opening for us, and that discussions were open with Frankston.
Williamstown would be a good fit for us too.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back