shake_and_bake

All Australian
Jul 4, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
australian cricket team
Just thought i would do a bit of an individual report on the blokes years who havent played a senior game yet apart from tenace, d.johnson, west and mumford who have played a few games between them but prodominatly been in the vfl this year. just for a bit of an insight for some people who dont see vfl games and to keep up to date with how our depth is going.

1. Jason Davenport - 9/10 - Second half of the year has been absolutly amazing. first half he was mainly playing how he has in previous years as a winger and even moved forward and has been our leading goalkicker (31, equal with hawkins). 2nd half he got to have a go in the middle and had some important jobs on opposition midifielders and killed them, has found himself in the best probably the last 5 weeks. favorite for the bnf.
Played 20 games for 31 goals, named in the best 11/20 games

10. Kane Tenace - 4/10 -Dissapointing year even in the vfl. played mostly in the midfield but when prismall and byrnes were in he played half back, not very accountable, had some ripper games in the middle which he should but his kicking as always has been a real let down and i think he might of played his last game for the cats although he is still contracted i think.
Played 17 games for 4 goals, named in the best 6/17 games

12. Trent West - 5/10 - Been a pretty consistant year from westy, nothing special though. The reason his at a 5 is because his ruckwork has been good for the whole year but he hasnt been able to add any other strings to his bow in regards to playing other positions. He could probably do more around the ground for a ruckman who is only 198cms, saw glimpses during the year but wasnt showed enough for a 3rd year player who was virtually one of the leaders in such a young side
Played 16 games for 7 goals, named in the best 3/15 games

16. Dawson Simpson - 4/10 - Its really hard to rate dawson as his game time has been very limited and im also rating on there expectations so i gave him a 4 because i think his done ok from a big 1st year player. needs to work on alot of things like his fitness and alot of other stuff that the club would be well aware of. needs to stop leading out of the goal square when his 1 on 1 inside 50 against someone who is 10 cms shorter than him, really annoys me when his done that but all in all its been a tough developing year for dawson, tries his heart out which is what we want to see in young players.
Played 16 games for 2 goals, named in the best 0/16 games

18. Nathan Djerkurra - 6/10 - His pre season didnt go to plan with a few injuries and he only came back in the last practice game so he took a little bit of time to get into things but ive been happy with his year, 2nd half in particular has been very good, his played in the midfield which is good to see, had tagging roles, and also played a bit up forward, stoppage work has improved heaps and his kicking has also improved, i think the club would be reasonably happy with djurko
Played 16 games for 12 goals, named in the best 3/16 games

22. Scott Simpson - 7/10 - This bloke should be a very good player in a few years for the cats. Started off in an absolute blaze of glory, it sort of came out of nowhere, he killed the practise match and then got a game in the nab cup and then round 4 of the vfl kicked 8 goals against a top 2 side. He was in the top 3 of the goalkicking for a while but mid year had a minor knee operation and missed 3 or 4 weeks and since then hasnt really been too damaging but thats common for most young kids to drop off in the 2nd half of the year. has an outstanding work rate and great hands and his kicking is getting better.
17 games for 23 goals, named in the best 3/17 games

25. Adam Donohue - 7/10 - gets a 7 because he has had a pretty good year for someone who could still be in the under 18s. Played mostly in the backline but has proved he can play on a wing or even up forward as onviously shown yesterday with a best on ground and 3 goals. reads the play extremely well, skills havent been the best but has been a pretty consistant player for the majority of the year and i think the club would be happy with his progress
19 games for 6 goals, named in the best 4/19 games

28. David Johnson - 6/10 - Only gets a 6 because his had an injury prone year, if i was judging on how he has played in the games his played in then he would probably get an 8. He has just made the backline so much stronger when his been in. Reads the play so well and has been courageous as ever this year. His opponent never gets overly too much of the ball but he always seems to get more than his opponent. One of my favorite players just the way he goes about it is something else and his done extremely well for a draft pick that was 71 or something, might be in trouble at the end of the season which would be dissapointing but as is the case with tenace, i think his contracted next season.
12 games for 0 goals, named in the best 5/12 games

31. Dan McKenna - 5/10 - inconsistant year for mine. Seems like a player that if he starts well he plays well, but if he starts poor he plays poor. He is a utility which is good, started the year in the forward line, didnt do too much but then mid year he went back and had a few great games but as is the normal way for young kids, he dropped off toward the end of the year. He seems to give his opponent too much room to move on the lead when he plays back, he never really has touch on his opponent. Its good that he can play back and forward though, needs to bulk up majorly over the break.
19 games for 10 goals, named in the best 2/19 games

34. Simon Hogan - 9/10 - Had a super year has young Hogan, his put on weight and muscle over the off season and pre season which is what he needed to do and his been emergency on several ocassions which has shown to me that the coaching staff rates him. Played the 1st few games as a half forward but moved into the midfield for the rest of the year because his fitness is superb and probably the reason he got drafted. Racked up alot of posessions during the season and ive heard leigh tudor on numerous ocassions talk him up. will make his debut next season ive got no doubt, needs a strong, injury free pre season though.
19 games for 13 goals, named in the best 7/19 games

36. Brodie Moles - 8/10 - had a great year. Played everywhere on the ground, half forward, half back, midfield, wing which is really good to see and it will help him going forward with staying with the cats. has outstanding foot skills, makes good decisions but my only concern is his defense, he needs to pay more attention to his opponent, i think his too much of a one way player and needs to develop a defensive game to stay at the club. Tudor has tried him in the backline for this reason i think. overal i have been extremely impressed with him, mature aged rookie who has already had 1 season in the vfl last year with Tasmania so he will continue to develop, a chance to get upgraded i would of thought.
18 games for 11 goals, named in the best 6/18 games

37. Jeremy Laidler - 8/10 - I really like this kid, moves well, kicks well, he is courageous and he can also play anywhere on the field. Played prodominatly as a half back, had to play tall on ocassions but his done well, started as a wingman and i was impressed with his start and he continued through the year with consitancy. Has showed great overhead marking skills and he is a tough cookie. He is also a strong chance to be upgraded on the senior list imo but i dont think he and brodie moles will both be put up so we will have to wait and see but his had a great year.
18 games for 2 goals, named in the best 6/18 games

38. Chris Kangars - 6/10 - Came to the club as an athlete but i think his learnt alot about football this year, he has had to play key position back for the whole year and has done a reasonable job. There has been a few times where he has had his colors lowered by some bigger names like morton, riewoldt, josh smith but he has beat a couple of big names including mitch thorp. can only play defense, doesnt have great skills and decision making but his closing speed and spoiling is 1st class. got a 6 because his been heavily beaten a few times and he just hasnt been attacking enough throughout the year but he has developed alot and i think he will get another chance next year.
18 games for 0 goals, named in the best 2/18 games

41. Shane Mumford - 9/10 - From where he was last year i think its just an amazing effort to firstly be rookied by Geelong, but then to make his afl debut and get elevated. His attack on the ball and 2nd efforts have been his trademark for the whole year which is why i think he was prefered ahead of west when he went in the ones side. He has also developed a forward game which i like. has played as a lead up forward on ocassions and did it pretty well. Should get elevated next year but in saying that, it would mean 5 ruckman on there list so if he doesnt i think other clubs will be interested and he will be a reasonable chance of going elsewhere next year if he doesnt get elevated.
16 games for 5 goals, named in the best 6/16 games

42. Liam Bedford - 5/10 - I think his time is up as a afl listed footballer, injury prone year for him unfortunatly which wasnt good because he was flying up until he had several injuries which will force him out i think. Played as a backman the whole year, early on he was terrific, got alot of the ball, he started alot of geelongs attacks and also kept his man to nothing but injuries as i said made it tough for him and never really found any form in the 2nd half of the year. kicking skills arent up to the afl standard, he is lightning quick though but all in all a little bit of a disapointing year for liam.

There they are, vfl reports. ive rated the players basically on there expectations. so if you have any comments or questions, feel free to post. cheers:thumbsu:

Awesome stuff, I haven't been able to see much of the VFL side but seems Davenport had another good year.

yeah his been outstanding, him and hogan will fight for it but i think jason will win by a fair margin. prismall and byrnes will obviously poll well but they only played 8 games or so.

wow only a 3/10 for Tenace. Thats pretty harsh. :eek: Considering he played a couple of senior matches at the start of the year I can't believe you scored him so low. But then again... I'm not quite sure why he was playing in the seniors (AHEAD OF PRISMALL!!!!!!) in the first place. He will be lucky if he remains on the list for another year. It was really a make or break year for the guy and from his performances this year he wont make it.

Trade? Delist? I think he is contracted for one more year too so does that mean we can still trade him or delist him? I don't really get how it all works.

wow only a 3/10 for Tenace. Thats pretty harsh. :eek: Considering he played a couple of senior matches at the start of the year I can't believe you scored him so low. But then again... I'm not quite sure why he was playing in the seniors (AHEAD OF PRISMALL!!!!!!) in the first place. He will be lucky if he remains on the list for another year. It was really a make or break year for the guy and from his performances this year he wont make it.

Trade? Delist? I think he is contracted for one more year too so does that mean we can still trade him or delist him? I don't really get how it all works.

yeah i gave him a 3 because this is his 5th year im pretty sure and with sucha young side they really needed his leadership and i dont think they got it. he just needed to do more he should be dominating vfl. thats why he got a 3. yeah i think we can but if we delist him we have to pay him out for next year and if we trade him the club has to pay geelong his contract out which wont happen so its either stay or gone! i think he will stay though

actually ive had a good think about it and i think 3 is too low, i put him up to a 4, not much difference but now that i think about it he wasnt as bad as a 3

Excellent work Shakenbake.

With Tenace, if he is contracted and no-one wants to trade, we have to hang onto him. If we drop him we cannot put another on the list. Similarly if we did drop him whilst still contracted, his salary is still payable on our salary cap.

If he is uncontracted for next year, I'd say he'd be packing his team trackie and cleaning out his locker.

Excellent work Shakenbake.

With Tenace, if he is contracted and no-one wants to trade, we have to hang onto him. If we drop him we cannot put another on the list. Similarly if we did drop him whilst still contracted, his salary is still payable on our salary cap.

If he is uncontracted for next year, I'd say he'd be packing his team trackie and cleaning out his locker.

oh ok so him and david johnson should be safe then at the cats for next season.

I agree with most of those ratings except I think 8 is a bit too high for Brodie Moles. As a mature 22yo recruit who came over from Tassie with big wraps I would have expected him to stand out more in a team with so many teenagers. I admit I haven't seen all the VFL games this year but in the games I've seen his disposal and decision making has looked pretty ordinary. He moves well and gets a fair bit of the ball but so does Shannon Byrnes when he plays in the VFL.

10. Kane Tenace - 4/10 -Dissapointing year even in the vfl. played mostly in the midfield but when prismall and byrnes were in he played half back, not very accountable, had some ripper games in the middle which he should but his kicking as always has been a real let down and i think he might of played his last game for the cats although he is still contracted i think.
Played 17 games for 4 goals, named in the best 6/17 games

12. Trent West - 5/10 - Been a pretty consistant year from westy, nothing special though. The reason his at a 5 is because his ruckwork has been good for the whole year but he hasnt been able to add any other strings to his bow in regards to playing other positions. He could probably do more around the ground for a ruckman who is only 198cms, saw glimpses during the year but wasnt showed enough for a 3rd year player who was virtually one of the leaders in such a young side
Played 16 games for 7 goals, named in the best 3/15 games

18. Nathan Djerkurra - 6/10 - His pre season didnt go to plan with a few injuries and he only came back in the last practice game so he took a little bit of time to get into things but ive been happy with his year, 2nd half in particular has been very good, his played in the midfield which is good to see, had tagging roles, and also played a bit up forward, stoppage work has improved heaps and his kicking has also improved, i think the club would be reasonably happy with djurko
Played 16 games for 12 goals, named in the best 3/16 games

Great report S&B. :thumbsu:

The only ones I'd differ substantially on are the above.

Every game I watched Tenace in (probably about half a dozen games) he was either our best or among our best. His kicking can be awful but at VFL level where there is less pressure, he seems to have it more under control. He probably has no future at the club (are you sure he's contracted?) but he is a top quality VFL player.

Thought West had a pretty good year. I worry a bit about his ability to match it against the bigger bodies but I didn't think that stopped him being a good ruckman/utility player at this level. Agree that he'll need to improve in non-ruck areas of the game further. His ability to pick the footy up below his knees is as good as someone I've seen at his size.

Very disappointed with Djerrkura this season. I won't get much support for this, but he will be looked at when they're making the tough list decisions at the end of this season. He shows glimpses of brilliance, but is such a let down in a lot of contests through missed tackles, over committing or poor decisions. I hope I'm proved wrong but I've got concerns about whether he'll make it.

I agree with most of those ratings except I think 8 is a bit too high for Brodie Moles. As a mature 22yo recruit who came over from Tassie with big wraps I would have expected him to stand out more in a team with so many teenagers. I admit I haven't seen all the VFL games this year but in the games I've seen his disposal and decision making has looked pretty ordinary. He moves well and gets a fair bit of the ball but so does Shannon Byrnes when he plays in the VFL.

From the games I saw early in the season I would have agreed but lately he has come along in leaps and bounds. I think he's been given more of a job to do and he has relished it. Playing more as a defensive midfielder or off half back has suited him well. His disposal is generally pretty good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah well firstly to catempire i actually do agree with you about west, probably deserves a 6 but i think with him being in his 3rd year, he was coming up against alot of vfl listed ruckman that arent any good and was getting beaten. but yeah he did have quite a good year when i think about it. djerkerra i thought has developed new parts to his game so ill disagree with you on djerkerra, does make poor decisions though but i only gave him a 6. and tenace, he did have a reasonable year but as i said the vfl side needed him to do big things and he didnt deliver enough, only reason he got a low score.

and about brodie moles, ive watched him closely and i personally think his one of the best kicks in our vfl side. from what ive seen this year, especially when he played a practise match against brisbane he was fantastic.

36. Brodie Moles - 8/10 - had a great year. Played everywhere on the ground, half forward, half back, midfield, wing which is really good to see and it will help him going forward with staying with the cats. has outstanding foot skills, makes good decisions but my only concern is his defense, he needs to pay more attention to his opponent, i think his too much of a one way player and needs to develop a defensive game to stay at the club. Tudor has tried him in the backline for this reason i think. overal i have been extremely impressed with him, mature aged rookie who has already had 1 season in the vfl last year with Tasmania so he will continue to develop, a chance to get upgraded i would of thought.
18 games for 11 goals, named in the best 6/18 games

I would be supprised if they upgrade him this year with the draft being weaker (supposedly) next year I think they should keep him on the rookies for a 2nd year and use as many draft picks as they can this year on kids. Then next year can upgrade him when we will probably want to use as few as possible picks.

so what are the chances of djerkurra being re-signed?? I reckon he'd be picked up if he went back to the draft.

my sources tell me his already signed for 1 or 2 more years. most probably wont believe me coz i cant name the source otherwise me and this person would be in the crap but you'll find out sooner or later

I think we would see more of an improvement in Westy if he was given more of a chance to plays seniors. Thats not going to happen this year and he will struggle to get a match with a fit Otto and Blakey. One things for sure... he is a very handy backup.

I'm also super impressed with Brodie Moles. He is fast becoming one of my favourite "no-name" VFL players. He has improved immensely throughout the season. He seems really confident in his footy and backs himself. Can't wait to see what else he can do. Such a versatile player, reminds me a little bit of Mackie.

Jezza Laidler is another player who has shown great abiltiy and improvement throughout the season. He is a consistent player who you can always count on. Hopefully he will remain on the list!!!

Great report by the way SnB. :)

I'm a huge fan of djerkurra and I want to know what it would take to get djerkurra to the tigers? I doubt he'd fall to us if he went in the PSD. If he wanted to go to richmond would you give him to us for a late pick like last year or possibly one of our players (not sure who you'd want/need)? I am very suprised to hear he may be delisted!

I'm a huge fan of djerkurra and I want to know what it would take to get djerkurra to the tigers? I doubt he'd fall to us if he went in the PSD. If he wanted to go to richmond would you give him to us for a late pick like last year or possibly one of our players (not sure who you'd want/need)? I am very suprised to hear he may be delisted!

his already signed, im 90% confident his signed a 1 or 2 year deal so sorry:p

his already signed, im 90% confident his signed a 1 or 2 year deal so sorry:p

When did he sign S&B?

I assumed he would be coming to the end of his initial 2-year deal (i.e. Drafted at end of '06).

Jezza Laidler is another player who has shown great abiltiy and improvement throughout the season. He is a consistent player who you can always count on. Hopefully he will remain on the list!!!

Great report by the way SnB. :)

I don't think that Geelong can delist him anyway as he is only in his first year as a rookie.

Not that I think that they would want too delist him.

I don't think that Geelong can delist him anyway as he is only in his first year as a rookie.

Not that I think that they would want too delist him.

yeah they can delist rookie's after 1 year. liam bedford was very lucky last year apparently.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL yearly individual report

Remove this Banner Ad

Back