Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Clubs have advantages and disadvantages

If they're evened out, there is no bias ...

yeah nothing is evening out the bias. Travel is not overcome because of academies and the MCG isnt neutral because you have to travel 3km further than you normally would...instead of 3,000km

Yep, GF experience and not being overawed by the event is important.

Whether you have played some games at the G in May and July is largely irrelevant.

Teams that have GF experience are advantaged in GFs.

I'd certainly agree with this. I don't think some supporters, particularly those interstate, understand what it is like at the MCG on GF day but with Carlton having played in 3 games there that mirror that recently (r22 2022, both finals last year)... it is hard to explain, but when the MCG is packed and the stakes are at their peak, it changes and becomes impossibly stifling. The atmosphere is so thick, every sound so amplified...

You see it sometimes in the first quarter of grand finals - even great players just can't execute and go back to absolute basics, while other players seem to thrive in the heavy atmosphere and look a totally different player (ie: Bobby Hill). Jack Martin said last year after Carlton's win vs Sydney that after he took the game saving mark with 30 seconds to go it was so loud and oppressive that he simply couldn't think - he just stood there for a couple of seconds, then booted it as far as he could and hoped it was the right thing to do. I'm an MCC member and have been to neutral games like this too, it isn't about the team I support. Another recent was that Collingwood/GWS prelim from a few years back where Collingwood had it locked in GWS defensive 50 for what felt like 60 minutes, down by less than a goal, and both teams were just melting trying to execute to break the game open.

It doesn't reach that point often - I don't think it always gets there on GF day, for example. I can remember a few Boxing Days and old school one day games (Warnie's hattrick), that famous soccer game vs Iran (and the Australian players completely melting down and being able to execute in the last 10 minutes a classic example), ANZAC day, that's about it.

To say that Melbourne get an advantage on Grand Final day by playing against Freo in front of 15,000 in May is silly. I don't even think Collingwood/Richmond/Carlton get an advantage from playing regularly in front of 80,000, to be honest. GF day is a totally different ground - Those high electricity MCG games are like playing on the moon.

GF experience is worth its weight in gold imo, and those rare players that thrive on that atmosphere and go up a notch when everything packs in... sheesh. That alone makes Dusty the best of his generation for me - he just became impossible to stop in that environment

being able to overcome a bias doesnt mean it doesnt exist.
Then perhaps a better title would be footy anomalies and how they are overcome.
Results would suggest whatever those anomalies are they appear to be trending to favour the interstate teams rather than be a disadvantage?
Unless they’re just better at doing footy than Victorian teams?

yeah nothing is evening out the bias. Travel is not overcome because of academies and the MCG isnt neutral because you have to travel 3km further than you normally would...instead of 3,000km

Travelling less is an advantage. Having only two teams in such a big footy town is an advantage. Academies are an advantage. Etc... You can't equalise travel, but it is indeed possible for other advantages to be equal to or larger than the travelling less advantage - to suggest otherwise is bizarre. These respective advantages/advantages aren't really measureable. The thing is it's very easy to just look at one advantage/disadvantage, ignore other advantages/disadvantages and declare bias - but unless it's actually supported by outcomes, how can you declare one advantage to be far greater. It's pure vibe.

Is it time for another review? The bias isn't working.

View attachment 2069429
Sesame Street Fainting GIF

experience is worth its weight in gold imo, and those rare players that thrive on that atmosphere and go up a notch when everything packs in... sheesh. That alone makes Dusty the best of his generation for me - he just became impossible to stop in
Dusty was definitely great. But Bacha Houli should have won the first Norm Smith and I reckon his best one, against Geelong, was at the Gabba.

Dusty was definitely great. But Bacha Houli should have won the first Norm Smith and I reckon his best one, against Geelong, was at the Gabba.

Houli was good, but Dusty had 29 possessions - 22 of them contested. 2 goals and 2 goal assists. Very worthy winner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yep like travelling on 6 days turnarounds and no ground to train on the day before against a team that hasn't travelled since early June
And this week against Geelong will make it the 7th time this season where we travel from/to somewhere with a 6 day break between games.
As noted elsewhere, Essendon play in Melbourne in rounds 13, (14 bye), 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23.

Five whole interstate trips in 13 rounds, you say? What a bunch of road warriors, it's hard to imagine such an onerous schedule. They deserve a big, long break, obviously.
But what you conveniently ignored was during this travel they were 2nd on the ladder.

As I have asked before put up something that shows travel loses matches, it seems all you have is such and such said so, so it must be true.
Plenty of evidence that it hinders players F&^%$ all.

Five whole interstate trips in 13 rounds, you say? What a bunch of road warriors, it's hard to imagine such an onerous schedule. They deserve a big, long break, obviously.
It's a ridiculous scenario and Essendon supporters trying to defend the indefensible. I nearly feel sorry for them.

Nearly!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back