Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think you really know what you are asking, go look at Collingwoods record at Vic Park.

I thought you meant Vic park in Brisbane where the new stadium might be built. You realise under this deal you're based in Brisbane yeah?

Melbourne clubs have big advantages for supporters with so many more games in our home town. Can't believe some clubs piss that away. And the ground final is a big footballing advantage when we're good enough to get there. But home and away nets out regardless of how much many only mention their travelling disadvatage without looking at the reality that they get exactly the same advantage for the same number of games when teams travel to them. And recruiting clearly in the Northern clubs favour

Not with NGAs

Our home ground (or ex) is called Victoria Park our win record there was close to 75%

Yeah I don't think you understood what I meant. You don't exist in Melbourne anymore other than the 5 away games (3-4 at Marvel; 1-2 at the MCG) you get per season.

Not with NGAs
? You think Next Generation Academy's come close to Brisbane and Sydney academies - who have the same acces to Father Son - might net out more even with the GWS and GC academies - although willing to bet that the GC will do the best in the long run due to the nature of migration from other statesto the gold coast region?

Yeah I don't think you understood what I meant. You don't exist in Melbourne anymore other than the 5 away games (3-4 at Marvel; 1-2 at the MCG) you get per season.
I got ya, you were having a sook about how hard done by you are.
My point was, we would move from the MCG in heartbeat if we could, but it wouldn't shut people up.

? You think Next Generation Academy's come close to Brisbane and Sydney academies - who have the same acces to Father Son - might net out more even with the GWS and GC academies - although willing to bet that the GC will do the best in the long run due to that nature of migration from other statesto the gold coast region?

We've had one late first round pick (pick 14) in the academy's history. People act like we are getting multiple first rounders every season.

I got ya, you were having a sook about how hard done by you are.
My point was, we would move from the MCG in heartbeat if we could, but it wouldn't shut people up.

A simple, oh yeah I didn't understand would have sufficed.

A simple, oh yeah I didn't understand would have sufficed.
I did understand, you want to swap places with Collingwood, you think you are hard done by.

Well if they moved the GF to Brisbane till 3000 and we were the only team in Vic, I still wouldn't swap, even if we never won another flag.

It's just a sport, i've said this before, believe it or not, but I enjoyed 2022 more than last year.

You don't have to win for it to be fun.

We've had one late first round pick (pick 14) in the academy's history. People act like we are getting multiple first rounders every season.
Brisbane haven't done as well as you'd expect they'll do in the long run. But add the Coleman brothers. And yes, one of them didn't work out - but that's still two second round slections for a handful of beans. Not sure if any others. Certainly not Sydney's crop or GCs recent haul. Not sure about GWS other than Green who is a ripper.

I did understand, you want to swap places with Collingwood, you think you are hard done by.

Well if they moved the GF to Brisbane till 3000 and we were the only team in Vic, I still wouldn't swap, even if we never won another flag.

It's just a sport, i've said this before, believe it or not, but I enjoyed 2022 more than last year.

You don't have to win for it to be fun.

Old boy, I'm still not sure you understand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane haven't done as well as you'd expect they'll do in the long run. But add the Coleman brothers. And yes, one of them didn't work out - but that's still two second round slections for a handful of beans. Not sure if any others. Certainly not Sydney's crop or GCs recent haul. Not sure about GWS other than Green who is a ripper.

I'm glad you brought up Kiddy as an example of how unfair our Academy is!

Do you mean the same Kiddy Coleman who no one picked up in the 2018 draft? Collingwood could have had him for nothing! Taken as an over ager in 2019.

Yep. Last first rounder Sydney had with our academy was something like 2020. This is not that common a thing.
Mills, Heeney, Blakey, Campbell, Gulden - that other bloke we bid on early last year. Lots of first and second round picks for Sydney - averaging close to one a year. Then there's free hits with Cat B rookies like Wicks.

I'm glad you brought up Kiddy as an example of how unfair our Academy is!

Do you mean the same Kiddy Coleman who no one picked up in the 2018 draft? Collingwood could have had him for nothing! Taken as an over ager in 2019.
Yes. Very good player. The guy who Essendon bid a second round pick on in 2019, but you guys were able to match with a handful of sawdust.

Mills, Heeney, Blakey, Campbell, Gulden - that other bloke we bid on early last year. Lots of first and second round picks for Sydney - averaging close to one a year. Then there's free hits with Cat B rookies like Wicks.

Gulden was not a first rounder. Plenty of clubs overlooked him, in fact several clubs overlooked him two or three times and the way the points system works there is a lot less of a gap between value and cost after the first round.

Gulden was not a first rounder. Plenty of clubs overlooked him, in fact several clubs overlooked him two or three times and the way the points system works there is a lot less of a gap between value and cost after the first round.
I know that he was a second rounder. The way the point system worked, you basically got second round picks for free - you could match with virtually nothing. They were free second round picks - bloody handy.

Yes. Very good player. The guy who Essendon bid a second round pick on in 2019, but you guys were able to match with a handful of sawdust.

Collingwood should have taken him in 2018, bad recruiting hey.

Kiddy was seen as speculative and drafted earlier than expected at pick 37. Has turned into a marvellous player. You’re acting like we have been drafting all of these sure things at pick 5.

Collingwood has higher drafted NGAs on their list than the the highest pick taken in our academy’s history!

Collingwood should have taken him in 2018, bad recruiting hey.

Kiddy was seen as speculative and drafted earlier than expected at pick 37. Has turned into a marvellous player. You’re acting like we have been drafting all of these sure things at pick 5.

Collingwood has higher drafted NGAs on their list than the the highest pick taken in our academy’s history!

So should Brisbane and they had far more knowledge - bloody lucky that he didn't go in the midseason draft.

I agree that Brisbane haven't had much of a haul yet -it's been below par (surprisingly considering the go home 5, your biggest recruiting advantage has been had from other clubs - you've killed it )

But if the academy hauls aren't projected to grow and get beter, WTF is the point of the academies. The reality is it's expected to continue to grow and advantages will accumulate. It's just a matter of time - has already well and truly begun to kick in for Sydney. Gold Coast should start really benefitting in a few years.

And it's not just the 18 year old stars who go early - it's the extra knowledge and extra bargains that you'll continue to get late - like Andrews.

It's a bloody handy leg up that has the rest of the footy world understandably envious.

So should Brisbane and they had far more knowledge.

I agree that Brisbane haven't had much of a haul yet -it's been below par (surprisingly considering the go home 5, your biggest recruiting advantage has been had from other clubs - you've killed it )

But if the academy hauls aren't projected to grow and get beter, WTF is the point of the academies. The reality is it's expected to continue to grow and advantages will accumulate. It's just a matter of time - has already well and truly begun to kick in for Sydney. Gold Coast should start really benefitting in a few years.

And it's not just the 18 year old stars who go early - it's the extra knowledge and extra bargains that you'll continue to get late - like Andrews.

It's a bloody handy leg up that has the rest of the footy world understandably envious.

I just wish we had some NGAs, no resources or investment required. Just an ancestry dot com account.

I just wish we had some NGAs

You don't really want a Vic NGA zone. The elephant in the room on this is if the WA clubs are willing to spend big on development (and they can probably afford to) their NGA zones will be gold mines. Every Aboriginal kid in WA zoned to two clubs. Should be able to score a couple of greats a decade each from those zones plus some other very good players - if they're willing to spend. SA next in line with NGA zones, but hey it's all Vicbias - because we play a lot of neutral games in Melbourne with no advantage against our opposiiton.

You don't really want a Vic NGA zone. The elephant in the room on this is if the WA clubs are willing to spend big on development (and they can probably afford to) their NGA zones will be gold mines. Every Aboriginal kid in WA zoned to two clubs. Should be able to score a couple of greats a decade each from those zones plus some other very good players - if they're willing to spend.

How much is an ancestry dot com account these days? That is how it was being done under the old rules. Next to no resources or investment required from clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back