Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess if you only go by the sample size of 11 games from this year and ignore the previous decade where you've regularly been in the top 4 teams for free kick differential % at your home ground.

Not to mention the fact you also play a large number of your "away" games at your home ground where you also feature quite comfortably at the pointy end of the free kick differential % for the past decade.
17 games out of 24 in Melbourne
Fair to me!!

17 games out of 24 in Melbourne. Fair to me!!
London based EPL teams get 26 EPL games in London, but Newcastle only get 19 EPL games in Newcastle.

Playing games where majority of teams and fans are based makes sense to me.

What isnt fair, is some teams not getting all their home games at home.

The real defining differences are being in your own bed, being with your own partner/family, having your friends and family around and at games etc. The mental and physical differences between that reality and being in a hotel room miles away from all of that every second week is absolutely incomparable to any so called "Away Game" that involves you retaining all of that support.
Anyone whom can't recognise and acknowledge that reality is a lying idiot.
If you are right and you think it through, it's all even - except for the teams that sell home games interstate.

Non Vic teams get that advantage over their opposition 10 times and are at that disadvantage 10 times. A club like Collingwood it's 5 games with that advantage and 5 with the disadvantage.

The question is, does doing it more often have a cumulative negative impact, or does it make you better at doing it, less unsettled by it and thus less disadvantaged by it - an overall advantage.

Last edited:
What isnt fair, is some teams not getting all their home games at home.
So true, Cats should be playing all their home games in Geelong no matter the opposition or crowd size.

To be fair you also get away games and the Gf at your home ground so….
WC, Freo, Port and Adel also get away games at their home ground

I am all for providing more club members access to GF. Get rid of AFL members which is a Victorian membership, and make it 50k club members getting cost price tickets to the GF.

To be fair you also get away games and the Gf at your home ground so….

Yep and they'll cry till the Cows come Home that they don't have this advantage..

And they're usually the people that think the MCG is the Cats Home Ground....

No no no no.

Geelong is not in Melbourne.
We play at the MCG by contractual obligation, it has not and never will be our Home ground.

Last edited:
I think deep down most Victorians know there is a bias towards Victorian sides.

If they didn't I don't think they would spend nearly this much time trying to argue otherwise

1723507632787.png

I mean there are so many more Victorians on this thread than non-Victorians, all outraged at there mere suggestion of a bias towards Victorians. Like a bunch of old men outraged that as a whole society perhaps benefits men over women.

If they didn't I don't think they would spend nearly this much time trying to argue otherwise

View attachment 2077860

I mean there are so many more Victorians on this thread than non-Victorians, all outraged at there mere suggestion of a bias towards Victorians. Like a bunch of old men outraged that as a whole society perhaps benefits men over women.

Someone's got to balance the bullshit and propaganda war being won by non-vic clubs which nuffies and the media are buying into.

Here's how ridiculous it is. Craig McRae comes out and says something that everyone knows and is well supported by data - home state advantage is real and includes umpiring. And the Nuffies are up in arms and come out and argue that he's talking rubbish and that it's only real for Vic teams ... no advantage in Non-Vic home games apparently...

But, but, but, we have 10 games where we're at a disadvantage - you only have 5. Yes but we only have 5 where we're at an advantage, you have 10 ...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's be clear here and let's all be 100% honest with ourselves: is the AFL draw/fixtures 100% fair and even? No. That shouldn't be blamed on the clubs though. There is no doubt that Victorian clubs are favoured by the fixtures due to not travelling as much but where they lose out is that they don't get Home Ground Advantage as much as the non-Victorian teams. Where the non-Victorian teams lose out is the amount of travel they do but the big win for them is that they get Home Ground Advantage every second week. So really both Victorian teams and non Victorian teams are advantaged and disadvantaged throughout the season. The draw/fixture is as even as possible whilst taking into account all things considered, some of which i have mentioned here.

Someone's got to balance the bullshit and propaganda war being won by non-vic clubs which nuffies and the media are buying into.
Will Ferrell Lol GIF

View attachment 2077860

The VIC media are just as bad, if not worse than Sydney's NRL media. It's can't be even more clear this weekend with Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Richmond out of the 8. Literally, JB's comments on Triple M yesterday, "What a disaster for the AFL cause it's gonna cost them money big time". Also massive panicking that their potentially won't be a final in Melbourne for the first 2 weeks.

Rather than just a dumb gif. How about you counter the argument that it balances out due to teams who get more games with a travel and home ground disadvantage also get the same number of games with that exact same advantage in their direction.

You can argue cumulative impact - US sport suggests the opposite and that the disadvantages shrink the more often you travel - which would actually make an overall advantage for teams that travel more. Is there any evidence that the cumulative impact builds up and performance deteriorates over the season for teams that travel more - that's pretty much the only potential argument in terms of travel advantaging Vic's in the Home and Away?

Yet all we hear is non-vic clubs claiming they're at a huge disadvantage because Collingwood and Richmond play neutral games at the MCG, with dumb arguments about the number of games at a venue which ignore whether there is actually an advantage in those games. Or even dumber arguments that Hardwick has started advocating for non-Vic clubs now that he's become the coach of one - gee what a surprise that he's doing his job and advocating for his employer's interests.

In terms of imbalanced advantages - it goes without saying that the MCG granny advantages the Vic teams in it. And it goes without saying that with the new NGA academy rules Vic teams are now firmly at the bottom of the heap in terms of recruiting concessions.

Which would you prefer? Better team due to recruiting advantages? Or an advantage on the rare occasion that you make the Granny? Or perhaps to just continue with the victim stance over your away disadvantages whilst ignoring your home advantages. I'd go the final one - looks to be working well - it will help you get the former and you're likely to see what has been statistically really even home and away results tilted in your favour.

Last edited:
It's baffling that people just make up whatever they want.

Collingwood v Richmond at the G, there is no advantage to either team.

Carlton v Essendon at the G, there is no advantage to either team.

It really isnt hard to follow

Both teams are familiar with the ground
Both teams have what 25k fans at the game

No advantage and no disadvantage, neutral games

Again, I have used all seasons from the 21st century.

The ladder shows that if you want to finisb top2, you dont want to be a Melbourne based team who play lots of neutral games.

Just like Richmond vs Collingwood, 2018 Preliminary Final at the MCG....no Home Ground Advantage to either team, why...because both teams are MCG Tennants. Mind you though, Richmond had a virus go through the club, and they peaked too early plus Collingwood were too good that night in that game.

But yes I understand what you're saying.

View attachment 2077860

4 of the top 6 are Collingwood supporters, desperate to deflect.

This is despite their own coach saying they had an unfair advantage earlier in the year and Longmire echoing this sentiment yesterday.

View attachment 2077860

Have you found any teams that average 13 interstate trips a year yet?

Asking for the fourth time.

17 games out of 24 in Melbourne
Fair to me!!
Total games in Victoria:

Essendon 17
Carlton 17
Collingwood 17
Bulldogs 17
Richmond 16
St Kilda 16
Geelong 16
Melbourne 15 (sell their 16th to Alice)
Hawthorn 13 (sell 4 to Launceston)
North 13 (sell 4 to Hobart)

Strange why we only ever hear about one team’s “home” games though…

So where do you want Victorian teams to play when they play each other? On Mars??..
The best way of evening it up is for Non-Vic teams to play thier home games against each other in Alice Springs. That way you could have all teams playing 5 games with a home state advantage, 5 games with an away state disadvantage and the rest in a neutral state - like Collingwood and Richmond do.

It can work!

Total games in Victoria:

Essendon 17
Carlton 17
Collingwood 17
Bulldogs 17
Richmond 16
St Kilda 16
Geelong 16
Melbourne 15 (sell their 16th to Alice)
Hawthorn 13 (sell 4 to Launceston)
North 13 (sell 4 to Hobart)

Strange why we only ever hear about one team’s “home” games though…

So you have proven just how little Victorian teams have to travel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back