Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

So what youre basically saying is, ignore the outcry in 07 and the supposed inquest that is perfectly timed between the period of non Vic domination and Vic domination and instead look at the big picture which is 'balanced'.
Then in 10yrs time when Vic teams have continued their recent form you get to either say oh well there obviously was an imbalance but the horse has bolted or but if non Vics dominate from 2035 to 2045 and things again balance, then the almost 30yrs of Vic dominance is justified.

Please, not even the most 1 eyed Victorian could accept that logic with a straight face.

I'm not being one eyed at all. The stats I posted are fact. They aren't made up and the facts show that it's not lopsided towards Vic Teams.

Why pick out a certain period (2005 onwards). Best to look at the entire history.

Grand Finals: Vic Teams vs Non Vic Teams at the MCG

Victorian Teams: 10
Non Victorian Teams: 9

Grand Finals: Vic Teams vs Non Vic Teams at all Grand Final Grounds

Victorian Teams: 11
Non Victorian Teams: 9

1991 Grand Final was played at Waverley Park (Hawthorn vs West Coast)

MCG Tennants vs Non Victorian Teams in Grand Finals at the MCG

MCG Tennats: 6
Non Victorian Teams: 4

MCG Tennants: Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn & Melbourne

Hardly lopsided towards Victorian teams. The team who wins the Grand Final, whether they are a Vic team or non-Vic team, they win it because they are good enough. It's as simple as that.

and yet, 15 of the last 17 premiers have been Victorian. You would think those numbers would indicate something was wrong.

Only another 30 more odd years of seeing the interstater whinge fest.

Should put it on the State governments of all the teams involved to invest in a 80k capacity stadium at least, then let the team on top host the GF if it comes to that.

Do Geelong supporters whinge also if the GF isnt down geelong way ?

and yet, 15 of the last 17 premiers have been Victorian. You would think those numbers would indicate something was wrong.

And yet the entire history of Grand Finals between Vic teams and non-Vic teams paint's an entirely different and more accurate picture.

Should put it on the State governments of all the teams involved to invest in a 80k capacity stadium at least, then let the team on top host the GF if it comes to that.

Exactly. Those who are complaining....its a poor mindset.

We’re any changes made free the 2007 ‘outcry’?

I cant remember any but the cycle since has seen more vic teams win.

Does that not suggest nothing needs to be done? Maybe abandon the gather round as it’s extra travel for teams already complaining of too much
None that have ever been made public, but then would you expect they would make it public, honestly?
Regardless, the obvious change in fortunes cant be ignored.

Do we just put it down to balance over a 35yr period and let it continue and hope that the recent trend isnt due to an imbalance that will become obvious in 10yrs or do we not let it go unchecked.

I guess it depends on which side of the border your team resides.

13-2?
It's 11-9 for Vic v Interstate GFs, pretty even.

Exactly. That 13-2 figure has been cherry picked. The data I posted earlier (see above somewhere) shows the entire history between Vic teams vs non-Vic teams in Grand Finals.

But of course, we wouldn't want the truth and facts to get in the way of this continuous whinge fest garbage.

So what youre basically saying is, ignore the outcry in 07 and the supposed inquest that is perfectly timed between the period of non Vic domination and Vic domination and instead look at the big picture which is 'balanced'.
When you say 'perfectly timed' are you implying they did something to help the Vics?

How did they make the Cats come good the same year as the inquest and the Hawks the year after?

If the AFL said that the Grand Final was open to any team that had a stadium of 80,000 or more in capacity you can bet Western Australian when building their stadium a few years ago would have made sure it had a capacity of 80,000.

The AFL did not even discuss the new Grand Final stadium deal with the MCG and Victorian government, they did not even open it to a discussion, they just announced it.

I'm not being one eyed at all. The stats I posted are fact. They aren't made up and the facts show that it's not lopsided towards Vic Teams.
Over 35 years, no, over the next 15?
If in 15yrs the post 07 trend continues it'll prove otherwise but the horse will have bolted so I guess it'd just be bad luck yeah?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why did Optus stop at 60k capacity, found that it wasnt a massive increase over the previous stadium ?

Victoria seems OK with seagulls outnumbering supporters at Melbourne games, because they have Collingwood and Richmond etc to make up for it in the same weekend. Not sure 80k makes sense in a two team town when Freo can't fill Optus.

One of the big reason why no one here wants a third WA team. The supporter base isn't there. It'll be introducing a new Gold Coast or North Melbourne for no good reason.

Having said that I do believe Optus was designed to be easily upgraded when the population warrants it.

If the AFL said that the Grand Final was open to any team that had a stadium of 80,000 or more in capacity you can bet Western Australian when building their stadium a few years ago would have made sure it had a capacity of 80,000.

The AFL did not even discuss the new Grand Final stadium deal with the MCG and Victorian government, they did not even open it to a discussion, they just announced it.

Pretty shit house move then , with all the underhanded crap that happens in sporting organisations and looking after the boys. Doesnt surprise me

If in 15yrs the post 07 trend continues it'll prove otherwise but the horse will have bolted so I guess it'd just be bad luck yeah?

and in truth if it ended up being 30 of the last 34 premierships Victorians would be completely fine with it. They don't want things to change. They like having the advantages.

We won't know, let's wait until the 15 year period has concluded. Don't jump at shadows and what ifs, It's a poor mindset.

The main thing wrong is too many interstate sides fluffing their home prelims.

Yep, that fact is conveniently forgotten about isn't it.

Fremantle lost 2013 Prelim final to Hawks at Subiaco.

Brisbane Lions lost 2020 Prelim final to Geelong at the Gabba.

Port Adelaide lost 2020 Prelim final to Richmond at Adelaide Oval.

Yep, that fact is conveniently forgotten about isn't it.

Fremantle lost 2013 Prelim final to Hawks at Subiaco.

Brisbane Lions lost 2020 Prelim final to Geelong at the Gabba.

Port Adelaide lost 2020 Prelim final to Richmond at Adelaide Oval.
In the past 10 years I think it's been Port×2, Lions, Freo and Giants blowing home prelims.

None that have ever been made public, but then would you expect they would make it public, honestly?
Regardless, the obvious change in fortunes cant be ignored.

Do we just put it down to balance over a 35yr period and let it continue and hope that the recent trend isnt due to an imbalance that will become obvious in 10yrs or do we not let it go unchecked.

I guess it depends on which side of the border your team resides.

So if they had made ‘pro vic’ changes the situation would clearly be worse now? So why make changes based on ‘vibe’

I’d suggest wooden spooner 2023 west coast not getting its second draft pick till pick 30 might suggest where issues lie

Sydney not having home Grand Finals in 2014 and 2016 did not help either. I mean who knows if it would have made a difference, but it could have.
In 2012, Hawthorn earnt the right to play the Friday night prelim. Sydney got it instead. Who knows if it would of made a difference, but it could have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back