Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

My dad had a soft spot for Essendon, not sure where that came from. I sort of liked Richmond in the Early 80,s. Again not sure why? Maybe because they were a good team and they were on the winners regularly. Then when Leon Baker went to Essendon I changed to keeping an eye on them as Baker played for my club in Bunbury.
It was a no brainer to follow the WA dude when they joined the VFL.
I'll tell you a story about Leon Baker.
He had relatives in a rural property between 2 very small towns in Gippsland, one had a footy team.
He trained with this team and was going to play for them that year, but he couldn't find work.

So he went to the city, met up with Tim Watson and the rest is history.

You don't think a South Fremantle fan may have followed Rioli's career with interest just because he wasn't originally from WA? Odd thought process. You think Eagles fans had no interest in Judd's career after 2007 because he's Victorian?
Oh my, not too long ago you were agreeing with a poster that West Australians didn't follow Vic teams, very odd thought process.

Make your mind up.

I'll tell you a story about Leon Baker.
He had relatives in a rural property between 2 very small towns in Gippsland, one had a footy team.
He trained with this team and was going to play for them that year, but he couldn't find work.

So he went to the city, met up with Tim Watson and the rest is history.

Essendon recruited Leon Baker from Swan districts at the end of 1983.
Baker played in 6 consecutive premierships
1980/81 at South Bunbury
1982/83 at Swan Districts
1984/85 at Essendon.
Bloody good player.

Essendon recruited Leon Baker from Swan districts at the end of 1983.
Baker played in 6 consecutive premierships
1980/81 at South Bunbury
1982/83 at Swan Districts
1984/85 at Essendon.
Bloody good player.
Yeah, he would have needed a clearance to play, but he was seriously considering playing for Boisdale in the I think it was the NGFL at the time, after Essendon, he went back to the area and coached Maffra, which is not far from his relatives either.

Oh my, not too long ago you were agreeing with a poster that West Australians didn't follow Vic teams, very odd thought process.

Make your mind up.
You thought I was suggesting no West Australian ever followed a VFL team?

The majority didn't, I'm sure a few did, those that did may have followed clubs because of players that had represented their WAFL team. I could try and outline it easier than that but it may be in the form of a crayon drawing.

Last edited:
You thought I was suggesting no West Australian ever followed a VFL team?

The majority didn't, I'm sure a few did, those that did may have followed clubs because of players that had represented their WAFL team. I could try and outline in easier than that but it may be in the form of a crayon drawing.
The ole condescending reply, your go to.

If you would like to have a look I have already said that maybe I am wrong and they do follow players.

So you can piss off with your condescending remarks.

And your crayon drawings would make sense, like how you reply with childish gifs, so what would be the difference?

What about 25 years of H&A results and a ladder that shows non-Melbourne teams dominate top2 and top4 positions?

Unsurprising when AFL House policy reduced home ground advantage for one set of teams, those based in Melbourne.
Again you are right. Victorians are racially superior than the non Vic people. Even the Geelong hillbillies and Broadmeadows low life's are superior to the non Vic's lol

It's not really a vicbias topic but I want to point out the mediocrity that comes from Marvel stadium tendency. Most home games are against co tenants or visiting interstate teams who have a decent record there compared to the MCG. (No facts just gut feel since I'm on train). Then we play finals at the MCG against MCG teams. Bulldogs today for example.

It's not really a vicbias topic but I want to point out the mediocrity that comes from Marvel stadium tendency. Most home games are against co tenants or visiting interstate teams who have a decent record there compared to the MCG. (No facts just gut feel since I'm on train). Then we play finals at the MCG against MCG teams. Bulldogs today for example.
Not an excuse for tonight, we’d lose no matter where it was played but you are right. Doesn’t make much sense for the home team to play at a ground they’ve played at 2 times in 16 months, while the away team has played there 17 times in that same period.

Needs to be a fairer share of the MCG for all clubs if that’s where we’re expecting finals to be held.

I'm not sure that I agree with you. I think the Tigers of 2017, with a really short forward line realised they were better off risking frees by having their forwards scrag to bring the ball to ground. And that tactic continued and was expanded to other situations. I think you copped more frees because you were willing to risk more frees.

It did happen post 2010 though when Malthouse changed how interchange was used which gave us an edge and all of a sudden lots of interchanges was a bad look that needed to go and we got interchange caps.

Or even this year to a lesser extent - the tightening of interpretations that killed the lock down to stop scoring tactics that we used to protect a lead.
That would explain the frees Richmond give away. It doesn't explain the lack of frees the opposition give away and why they are suddenly and inexplicable so very much more disciplined when they play Richmond :think:

Can you imagine the outcry if a non Victorian team got 10% the treatment Richmond has had to put up with for the past 8 years straight, no matter the coach, players or game plan? We got a small example of it last year on this very thread when Port didn't get the rub of the green for a handful of games, for probably the first time in the club's privileged existence. There was an outcry and great gnashing of teeth. It was undeniable proof of a conspiracy against all non Victorian clubs.

Interestingly when Damien Hardwick Coached Richmond, the massive, unprecedented disparity was, as you so mindlessly regurgitate with drone like nativity, because of his game plan. Now that he coaches an AFL favoured club, guess what? The disparity is just as large, only to his teams advantage. The irony's lost on no serious follower of our game. It was starting to be discussed in the media earlier this year. But for some reason that conversation suddenly stopped. Almost as if the AFL somehow managed to quickly shut it down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not an excuse for tonight, we’d lose no matter where it was played but you are right. Doesn’t make much sense for the home team to play at a ground they’ve played at 2 times in 16 months, while the away team has played there 17 times in that same period.

Needs to be a fairer share of the MCG for all clubs if that’s where we’re expecting finals to be held.
I think this is the fair way to go. Instead of having tenants of one or the other, just have all the Melbourne clubs somewhat evenly split home games between both grounds

That would explain the frees Richmond give away. It doesn't explain the lack of frees the opposition give away and why they are suddenly and inexplicable so very much more disciplined when they play Richmond :think:

Can you imagine the outcry if a non Victorian team got 10% the treatment Richmond has had to put up with for the past 8 years straight, no matter the coach, players or game plan? We got a small example of it last year on this very thread when Port didn't get the rub of the green for a handful of games, for probably the first time in the club's privileged existence. There was an outcry and great gnashing of teeth. It was undeniable proof of a conspiracy against all non Victorian clubs.

Interestingly when Damien Hardwick Coached Richmond, the massive, unprecedented disparity was, as you so mindlessly regurgitate with drone like nativity, because of his game plan. Now that he coaches an AFL favoured club, guess what? The disparity is just as large, only to his teams advantage. The irony's lost on no serious follower of our game. It was starting to be discussed in the media earlier this year. But for some reason that conversation suddenly stopped. Almost as if the AFL somehow managed to quickly shut it down.
I hope you posted that with a tin foil hat on

You're showing a few non-Vic supporting traits there. I think you should request a trade like most of your players. Perhaps Port.

How does it all net out is the question? I don't think either of us have anything to whinge about. If anyone is going to whinge it should be North, Dogs and Saints - Northern clubs have their academies. SA has an extra home game. North, Dogs and Saints get a home state granny, but not at a ground they play on any more than the non-vic teams do and the cards are stacked against them to get to that granny.
Realistically VicBias is really MCG tennant/big club bias.

The lesser clubs in Melboure are treated like second class citizens in footy

Realistically VicBias is really MCG tennant/big club bias.

The lesser clubs in Melboure are treated like second class citizens in footy
You've got to include the Northern and Western states.

It's the Melbourne East West divide.

Draw a line due north of the MCG. Everything East of the line has an advantage over everything west of the line. Sydney and Brisbane have become Eastern suburbs and Perth and Adelaide Western suburbs.

They forgot to extend the line South of the G, so Saints and Cats aren't part of the East West divide.

What about 25 years of H&A results and a ladder that shows non-Melbourne teams dominate top2 and top4 positions?

See you keep saying this but it’s incorrect. The stats do not back this claim up.

Since we went to an 18 team comp, the top 4 has comprised of 27 vic teams and 25 non vic teams.

That’s 52% of the top 4 over this period being made up of Victorian teams compared to 48% others.

Considering 44% of the comp is non Victorian, that’s not a considerable difference.

Let’s look at 2000-2010 (Pre Suns/Gws)

Top 4 was 25 Victorian teams, 19 non. That’s 57% of top 4 being Victorian.

Non Vics comprised of 37% of the comp. Meaning we over achieved by 2 extra top 4 finishes over 10 years by claiming 43% of top 4 spots.

Then just for continuity, let’s include 2011 with the 17 teams now.

3 Vic and 1 non Vic. Thats 75% top 4 Victorian from 60% of the comp. Vic over achieved here.

So in summary, since 2000 55 top 4 positions have been Victorian teams. 45 non Victorian. 55% V 45%.

All in all, it’s pretty bang on for top 4 finishes against the % of the comp that comprises vic/non vic.

There is nothing to indicate that non vic teams dominate the top 4 positions. You’ve posted this same claim about 100 times in this thread. Now it’s been disproven.

See you keep saying this but it’s incorrect. The stats do not back this claim up.
Learn to read, non-Melbourne.

Geelong are a non-Melbourne team who still play at a unique ground where they enjoy a proper home ground advantage.

AFL house policy to shunt all 9 Melbourne teams between two grounds reduced ground advantage for the Melbourne teams.

It is only lazy morons, usually Port fans, who think all VIC teams are the same and try and run with VICBias.

Learn to read, non-Melbourne.

Geelong are a non-Melbourne team who still play at a unique ground where they enjoy a proper home ground advantage.

AFL house policy to shunt all 9 Melbourne teams between two grounds reduced ground advantage for the Melbourne teams.

It is only lazy morons, usually Port fans, who think all VIC teams are the same and try and run with VICBias.

They’re 1 hour down the road. They’re a Melbourne team and play home games at the MCG.

They’re 1 hour down the road. They’re a Melbourne team and play home games at the MCG.
Travel is irrelevant, they have an actual home ground.

Port dont play 3or4 times a year at CatPark and become familiar with it like they do at Marvel.

Teams who retain a home ground advantage are better off in H&A season, it isn't a hard concept.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread VICBias - Genuine Discussion Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back