Victoria Bias in Fixturing and Commentary Continues

Remove this Banner Ad

Because financially it’s more beneficial to Hawthorn to play large drawing clubs at the MCG than it is to play interstate sides, particularly those with poor attendance records in Melbourne?

Who are you to dictate who Hawthorn should play their home games in Melbourne v Tasmania when the opportunity cost associated with revenue lost isn’t borne by your team. It’s their home game.
I guess we could start hosting games in Broome then. Should be great to play The Pies there.

There literally was an inquisition when Vic clubs struggled for a couple of years.
We can point to it.
Royal Commission/Operation Heartland. 2007. A collusion between the Victorian State Government/MCC/AFL and the Victorian 4th estate. A monetarily based Corruptive Back Scratching Circle Jerking feathering own nest exercise that has completely destroyed any integrity this shotful comp ever pretended to strive for. I barely watch it any more. Its basically WWE without the skill and theartre. Only read this site for something do when I'm having a dump.

And the 6 premierships before that were all non Victorian teams.

Non Victorian teams have won 12 out of the last 34 ( since 1990).
Yes and the Vic's demanded a royal commission into the state of Victorian football.

Looks like the outcomes of said investigation worked.

Anyone who sees that 15 of the last 17 premiers have all been Victorian and does not see a problem there is clearly biased and does not want to admit it.

It is like saying there is no sexism in the fact there have been 31 Prime Ministers and only 1 of them was a woman.
lol. Very selective time period there.

Conveniently started just after there was a run of 6 interstate premiers

Plus 2020 and 2021 were won by Victorian clubs who played effectively intestate pretty much the whole year

1722466866753.png

lol. Very selective time period there.

Conveniently started just after there was a run of 6 interstate premiers
And there was an inquest into why. We should of had two by now
Plus 2020 and 2021 were won by Victorian clubs who played effectively intestate pretty much the whole year

View attachment 2065050
2 Grand finals held outside Vic?
Power Rangers Reaction GIF by Hyper RPG

Royal Commission/Operation Heartland. 2007. A collusion between the Victorian State Government/MCC/AFL and the Victorian 4th estate. A monetarily based Corruptive Back Scratching Circle Jerking feathering own nest exercise that has completely destroyed any integrity this shotful comp ever pretended to strive for. I barely watch it any more. Its basically WWE without the skill and theartre. Only read this site for something do when I'm having a dump.

Go back to the SANFL. You lot wanted to join our league in the first place.

Amusing coming from a pie fan whose club won’t let Port wear what they want in their home games.
I don’t see what playing strip has to do with travel regimes? Port willingly forfeited their right to wear those colours as a condition of entry.

There are more Vic clubs than interstate clubs. Its statistically speaking a more logical outcome for Vic clubs to win more this being beside the fact that 3 teams have dominated the majority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you aren’t ok with clubs doing what they want with home games.
That’s quite clearly a distinct issue to the matter of where and who a team chooses to play their home games against.

Appreciate that you’ve had to resort to arcing toward a completely irrelevant point to try and counter. Really that says scores in itself.

That’s quite clearly a distinct issue to the matter of where and who a team chooses to play their home games against.

Appreciate that you’ve had to resort to arcing toward a completely irrelevant point to try and counter. Really that says scores in itself.
Not at all, what a club wears at their own home ground should be up to them, like where they play etc etc.

You are just picky about it. Which says scores in itself.

The point of the tread is about unfair Victorian bias when doing the fixturing, the AFL gave Hawthorn an unreasonably hard fixture on predicted outcomes, opposed to the reach around fixturing the Gold Coast were given. Do you still want to argue about Victorian bias?
I mean you already kind of prove the point of the thread with this response.

Yeah, as opposed to other non-Victorian teams Gold Coast had a peach of a fixture, but the ‘Reach around fixture’ you speak of had us playing Brisbane, GWS, Essendon, Richmond, North and WCE twice (Brisbane and GWS both being finalists from last year who are also good this year), and travelling interstate 11 times not including the Darwin games.

Hawks played Collingwood, GWS, Adelaide, Geelong, Richmond, and North (with Collingwood and GWS being the only finalists from last year and Collingwood is not in the 8 this year) and travelled 6 times, not including the games in Tasmania

So to summarise
Games travelled: Gold Coast 11 > Hawks 6
Finalists from 2023 played twice: Gold Coast 2 = Hawks 2
top 8 in 2024 currently played twice: Gold Coast 2 = Hawks 2
Bottom 4 teams from 2024 played twice: Gold Coast 3 = Hawks 3

So your example of a ‘reach around’ non-Victorian fixture is still harder than a supposedly hard victorian fixture.

Last edited:
Hawks played Collingwood, GWS, Adelaide, Geelong, Richmond, and North (with Collingwood and GWS being the only finalists from last year and Collingwood is not in the 8 this year)
Collingwood were the 2023 Premiers and therefore the #1 ranked team at the time when the fixture was produced. How do you expect the AFL to predict whether Collingwood will miss the eight the following season when determining fixturing equality?

Collingwood were the 2023 Premiers and therefore the #1 ranked team at the time when the fixture was produced. How do you expect the AFL to predict whether Collingwood will miss the eight the following season when determining fixturing equality?
I don't

that was the purpose of including it. In their previous comment they suggested that Adelaide, despite not making finals were a difficult team to play twice because they were predicted to be good. I was pointing out that 'predicted fixture difficulty' versus how it actually plays out are two very different things

In the exact same way that, as you say, the reigning premiers theoretically was a hard double but hasn't actually been hard, and having Hawthorn twice was meant to be easy, and hasn't been.

It was also just to point out that despite their complaints about an unjust fixture to Hawthorn their double up games based on the 2023 ladder were against 1, 7, 10, 12, 17, 18 and Gold Coasts 'easy' fixture was against 2, 7, 11, 13, 17, 18 which is not really much difference.

The result based on the seasons results as of round 21 has been doubles against 5, 6, 12, 15, 17, 18 for Hawthorn vs 2, 5, 10, 16, 17, 18 for the Suns which says that just because before the season started they 'theoretically' had a harder draw, doesn't mean that is true once teams start playing.

I’ve held back, but now I’ll weigh in.

In the last 10 years, Fremantle has played 8 games in Tasmania, while Collingwood has played 2, Carlton 1, Richmond 0, West Coast 3, and Gold Coast 4. The Bulldogs also deserve a mention with 5 games, and Geelong has just 1.

The article I referenced was written by a Cats fan, clearly displaying bias by outlining what Geelong needs to do to win. That’s journalism at its finest!

All I can say is, don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his moccasins. As a Freo supporter, even when things are going well...

Here’s the thing: when watching footy, we expect neutral umpires first, and neutral commentators next. Like it or not, as that article shows, there’s an unwritten favoritism. When a similar decision goes against one team, it’s “the right call,” but when it happens to a non-Victorian club, it’s “a terrible decision.” There are some excellent commentators out there—Luke Hodge is the best, even Richo and Bucks do a good job. But seriously, when we’re at the pointy end of the season and you’re writing an article on AFL.com.au, don’t make it about your personal bias or desired outcome. It just shows the AFL endorses this on their platform. The truth hurts... I know, a good sob story for a lowly team that supposedly deserves nothing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Victoria Bias in Fixturing and Commentary Continues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back