Victoria Bias in Fixturing and Commentary Continues

Remove this Banner Ad

Iā€™ve held back, but now Iā€™ll weigh in.

In the last 10 years, Fremantle has played 8 games in Tasmania, while Collingwood has played 2, Carlton 1, Richmond 0, West Coast 3, and Gold Coast 4. The Bulldogs also deserve a mention with 5 games, and Geelong has just 1.

The article I referenced was written by a Cats fan, clearly displaying bias by outlining what Geelong needs to do to win. Thatā€™s journalism at its finest!

All I can say is, don't judge a man until you've walked a mile in his moccasins. As a Freo supporter, even when things are going well...

Hereā€™s the thing: when watching footy, we expect neutral umpires first, and neutral commentators next. Like it or not, as that article shows, thereā€™s an unwritten favoritism. When a similar decision goes against one team, itā€™s ā€œthe right call,ā€ but when it happens to a non-Victorian club, itā€™s ā€œa terrible decision.ā€ There are some excellent commentators out thereā€”Luke Hodge is the best, even Richo and Bucks do a good job. But seriously, when weā€™re at the pointy end of the season and youā€™re writing an article on AFL.com.au, donā€™t make it about your personal bias or desired outcome. It just shows the AFL endorses this on their platform. The truth hurts... I know, a good sob story for a lowly team that supposedly deserves nothing.

I donā€™t think those stats on playing in Tasmania are correct.

Before Covid hit, Richmond held the crowd record at Hobart, so have been sent there (Carlton has the second highest crowd there) and Carlton played Hawthorn twice at Launceston at least in the Bolton coached years. So Carlton have been at least 3 times in the last 10 years.

Not sure when Collingwood have been there outside of pre-season or possibly during the covid years.

Iā€™ve held back, but now Iā€™ll weigh in.

In the last 10 years, Fremantle has played 8 games in Tasmania, while Collingwood has played 2, Carlton 1, Richmond 0, West Coast 3, and Gold Coast 4. The Bulldogs also deserve a mention with 5 games, and Geelong has just 1.
I call bullshit on this because i distinctly remember Cats have played North in Tassie multiple times in a recent stretch.

EDIT: Yep, 3 times in the past 4 years.
2021 at Blundstone against North
2022 at Blundstone against North
2024 Blundstone against North

Can i also mention soo far Cats have played this season in.

Adelaide twice:
with a third time being a Qualifying Final but i'll scrap that out to even help you as it's not regular season so. (Beat Crows and Dogs)
Perth: (Beat Freo)
Darwin: (Lost to Suns)
Brisbane: (Beat Lions)
Sydney: (Lost to Swans)
Hobart: (Beat North)
Marvel over an hour away: (beat Dogs, lost to Saints)

That's not even including MCG "Home Games" against MCG tenants so its effectively traveling over an hour to play at our opponents Home ground with a majority crowd slanted to our opponent, and yet?

MCG "Home Games": (Beat Blues and Bombers)
MCG Away Games: (Beat Hawks and Pies, Lost to Blues, Dees)

I count 15 times the Cats have had to travel and leave their Home Ground (Geelong is not in Melbourne, they have to travel to play there especially against Melbourne clubs) and their record in those games is 10 wins and 5 Losses.

That's 66.67% win percentage in games they've had to travel in and none of this is including travelling to SA to play a QUALIFYING Final, which they won by 80+

Now here's the real kicker. How many games did Freo get at Home this year? 11 right?

Geelong got 9 games total....AT THEIR OWN HOME GROUND NO LESS, less than say Freo at their Home ground right?

Geelong: (Beat Saints, North, Tigers, Hawks, Crows and Eagles...Lost to Port, Giants and Dogs)

That's 66.67% win percentage in games they've played at their own Home Ground.

I'm noticing a pattern here. Cats do well no matter if they are playing at Home or far Away.
It's in the bloody theme song for christ sake.
Good teams TRAVEL and win anytime, anywhere. That's why they are in a Prelim.

Remove this Banner Ad

Victoria Bias in Fixturing and Commentary Continues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back