Travel Vietnam, Malaysia, Singapore

Remove this Banner Ad

It really depends on what you are after. We prefer it to Bali because it’s much more relaxed and not chaos on the roads. A lot less tourists too. I love the nature that is accessible such as some magnificent waterfalls that are stunning and easily accessible with short walks. Some stunning beaches including pink beaches and no trip is complete without a visit to the Gili’s.
There are hire cars on the island and we have driven right around it no dramas but it is a bit more work to hire cars or drivers if that suits you. The one thing you will notice is the mosques in every town and village and you will find most things are more expensive than Bali but still cheap by our standards. We have found beaches that are superb and you have it almost to yourself except for the odd vendor coming and selling you coconuts or beer at dirt cheap prices.

That's brilliant mate - appreciate it.

I personally have no issue with Bali but my partner can't stand it for being overcrowded/badly behaved Aussies etc.
For the kids would be most interested in waterfalls, some snorkelling/Gili islands, and some of the jungle habitat/local culture. Did you manage to get to the 'secret' Gili islands in the south-west around Gili Gede? Apparently these are quite good and without the tourists.

You mentioned hiring a car? I was going to look at that I'd love to explore the island with my own wheels - is it quite a hassle to get one? I saw it's fairly easy to get scooters, and while I'm very confident with them it might not be responsible towing an 8 year old and 7 year old with them.. Were the conditions of the road fairly easy to navigate?

Also was looking at going around October at the end of the dry season - I wonder if everything will be dry/lifeless with no waterfalls, but I can do some digging into that myself.

Thanks for responding mate!

That's brilliant mate - appreciate it.

I personally have no issue with Bali but my partner can't stand it for being overcrowded/badly behaved Aussies etc.
For the kids would be most interested in waterfalls, some snorkelling/Gili islands, and some of the jungle habitat/local culture. Did you manage to get to the 'secret' Gili islands in the south-west around Gili Gede? Apparently these are quite good and without the tourists.

You mentioned hiring a car? I was going to look at that I'd love to explore the island with my own wheels - is it quite a hassle to get one? I saw it's fairly easy to get scooters, and while I'm very confident with them it might not be responsible towing an 8 year old and 7 year old with them.. Were the conditions of the road fairly easy to navigate?

Also was looking at going around October at the end of the dry season - I wonder if everything will be dry/lifeless with no waterfalls, but I can do some digging into that myself.

Thanks for responding mate!
There isn’t many hire car companies on the island but roads are in pretty good condition and easy to navigate with signs and markings everywhere.
The locals are very hospitable and some will even invite you in for a coffee.
And no I haven’t been to the secret Gili’s but we are heading back over around September to Bali and we will probably head over to Lombok for a week

To those who have been to Kuala Lumpur and Singapore.

Which one did you prefer and why?

How long is your trip? Feel like it's fairly easy to knock out both of these in a week. I thought I liked KL but Sinagpore was brilliant. Couldn't really give you a particular reason other than there's more to do with better public transport.

How long is your trip? Feel like it's fairly easy to knock out both of these in a week. I thought I liked KL but Sinagpore was brilliant. Couldn't really give you a particular reason other than there's more to do with better public transport.

Just curious to know which one people prefer.

I will be in KL for the first time later this year for a week, I went to Singapore last year and loved it.

I assume it's a bit like Tokyo vs Seoul

Remove this Banner Ad

Back