MVP Votes vs WCE

Remove this Banner Ad

LDU.
Greenwood.
Sheezel.

Larkey (made some of us) very stiff.

Coaches award goes to Comben.

Could have gone to Greenwood even tho he got two votes for going above and beyond in the role Clarko set up for him during the week but Chom's controlled aggro on the field sealed it for him.

Here's the votes.

LDU - 181 votes. LOLDU. He's just a crack up. I'm beginning to understand why Lloyd and few posters here say this guy is the best junior they ever saw. If you haven't, watch a replay just to see everything he does. Could be as good as anyone by the end of his career.
Sheez - 111 votes. What a debut. There's a thread on the MB about Daicos being the greatest ever first year player. We should probably give it a bit of a workout if this continues. Also see the last sentence in the blurb after LDU's votes.
Huge Greenhead - 78 votes. Massive performance. Was meant to give X a chop out in the ruck and ended up dominating. And his tackling was vital to us winning.
Souva - 65 votes. Could have been anywhere in the top four too, as Rod said his kicking was vital to us winning.
Griff - 6 votes. LOL there was a clear top four. Griff was great tho. He's gonna be a great backman and hopefully in a partnership we remember like Taz and Hunter or Mick Martyn and Arch.
JZ - 5 votes. Pretty unlucky not to get a vote on Saturday. Dunno how the season finishes but right now rumours of his demise have been greatly exaggerated.
Chom 3 - votes. One per game! What a unit! Have we had a young player like him since McKernan, or any player like him since W80?
Lmac and Tom Powell each got a vote and I'm sure they'll get more as the season goes on.

5 - Luke Davies-Uniacke.
4 - Harry Sheezel.
3 - Hugh Greenwood.
2 - Nick Larkey.
1 - Griffin Logue.

Its round 1 so that's also the leaderboard.

Normally I'll just add the coaches votes at the end of the other votes and keep a tally on the leaderboard bnut this will be a bit of an explanation post.

I'm only counting votes that are specifically mentioned as the coaches award or ones that seem obvious to me. Like these examples:
3. LDU
2. Greenwood
1. Larkey

Happy Meal: Sheezel

Happy meals were always a coaches award not necessarily the next best player, someone usually had to earn it somehow. Also normally i won't count HMs but I did count this:

3. LDU
2. Larkey
1. Sheezel

Honourable mention: Liam Shiels. Set the tone with the body on the line early - he played like a man who doesn’t want to lose his spot. Love him already.

Greenwood and Comben for fighting it out in the ruck too.

Because it seems specific to what the award is sposed to be about. No one voted for Shiels and he wasn't in our best players but his effort early was great and set a tone. its exactly what he was recruited for. (By the coach.) So its not gonna be exact but if you want to ensure someone gets a coaches vote mention it I guess.

3. LDU
2. Sheezel
1.Larkey

The TNT play(ers) of the day

Hugh Greenwood/ JZ.

JZ not getting enough love around here
Like the happy meal comment this seems more about a specific thing that coaches would love than next best player on the ground.

I'm normally not gonna give it to people who are HM or stiff to miss votes or whatever. If someone makes a comment about a player that fits the vibe of the thing I might tho.

Its for something slightly more intangible. You could give Greenwood three votes for the weekend and the coaches vote cos he was actually asked by Clarko to chop X out in the ruck a little bit and ended up rucking all day and winning the position for us. Any coach would love that sort of thing. But it could go to Shiels, Turner or someone else just as validly for even just one tackle or smother at some point in the game.

if one effort catches your eye and you think it deserves recognition then go for it.

Hope that makes things less clear overall....:)

Anyway this is the tally.

Comben - 7 votes.
Huge - 5 votes
Larks, Sheeze, JZ and Log - 1 each.

ferball

"Comben - 7 votes".

All makes sense

I didn't acknowledge Comben cause well I've all my eggs in the rickety basket that is our Charlie.
He was immense as he could have been playing his 3 rd game and his 13 in about 3 years. I'm trying not to mozz him.

ferball

"Comben - 7 votes".

All makes sense

I didn't acknowledge Comben cause well I've all my eggs in the rickety basket that is our Charlie.
He was immense as he could have been playing his 3 rd game and his 13 in about 3 years. I'm trying not to mozz him.
He reminded me of a kid I used to coach that I gave a coaches award to one year.

There was this point in the fourth quarter of one game when we about 20 goals up and the ball was on our forward line and this kid made three tackles in a row to lock the ball in even tho the game was over and we won by miles. Watching Comben the other day reminded me of that kid. The kid was a spud tho, couldn't kick to save his life. Good kid tho. He played like that all season.

I reckon Charlie must have the same sort of determination because its been a real struggle for him. It would have been easy for him to throw in the towel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Normally I'll just add the coaches votes at the end of the other votes and keep a tally on the leaderboard bnut this will be a bit of an explanation post.

I'm only counting votes that are specifically mentioned as the coaches award or ones that seem obvious to me. Like these examples:

Happy meals were always a coaches award not necessarily the next best player, someone usually had to earn it somehow. Also normally i won't count HMs but I did count this:

Because it seems specific to what the award is sposed to be about. No one voted for Shiels and he wasn't in our best players but his effort early was great and set a tone. its exactly what he was recruited for. (By the coach.) So its not gonna be exact but if you want to ensure someone gets a coaches vote mention it I guess.

Like the happy meal comment this seems more about a specific thing that coaches would love than next best player on the ground.

I'm normally not gonna give it to people who are HM or stiff to miss votes or whatever. If someone makes a comment about a player that fits the vibe of the thing I might tho.

Its for something slightly more intangible. You could give Greenwood three votes for the weekend and the coaches vote cos he was actually asked by Clarko to chop X out in the ruck a little bit and ended up rucking all day and winning the position for us. Any coach would love that sort of thing. But it could go to Shiels, Turner or someone else just as validly for even just one tackle or smother at some point in the game.

if one effort catches your eye and you think it deserves recognition then go for it.

Hope that makes things less clear overall....:)

Anyway this is the tally.

Comben - 7 votes.
Huge - 5 votes
Larks, Sheeze, JZ and Log - 1 each.
Very reasonable approach. No doubt someone will complain having not read the instructions properly otherwise it wouldn’t be Big Footy. The outcome from round 1 appears to suggest that the methodology works.

Very reasonable approach. No doubt someone will complain having not read the instructions properly otherwise it wouldn’t be Big Footy. The outcome from round 1 appears to suggest that the methodology works.
Cheers. I was thinking about how to write that etc and realised this is just an informal vote count on a pseudonomous website and maybe I was going over the top. But its good to be open, fair and have a clear explanation of whats going on etc.

Its not a big deal or anything, so i don't want people to stress over it. If you're into it then the idea is you get a little more out of watching games by seeing more than just our best players and highlighting stuff that impressed you that might otherwise be forgotten.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back