Expansion WA Govt $1.5mil sponsorship of South Sydney RLFC

Remove this Banner Ad

WA may be next Souths sponsor

Elizabeth Gosch | May 03, 2008
THE cashed-up West Australian Government is preparing to sign a sponsorship deal worth up to $1.5million with the historically rich but now struggling South Sydney Rabbitohs rugby league club, taking some of the financial heat off co-owners Russell Crowe and Peter Holmes a Court.

Under the deal, the state's Go West Now campaign would be the major sponsor on the Rabbitohs' away game jerseys, alternating with existing sponsor National Australia Bank.

While a value has not been put on the NAB sponsorship, Mr Holmes a Court has previously named $2.5million as the figure the club would like to raise through jersey sponsorship.

On another note 1.5 million is a very small sponsorship deal. Im surprised the Rabbitohs would accept such a small deal.

That's just bullshit. If $1.5mil is a very small deal are you saying that about $5mil is standard for jumper sponorship?? If that's what you think then you need to inform yourself.

It's $1.5mil for half the games. In 2006 Vodafone signed a 3 year deal worth $5.4mil with Brisbane. They are joint sponsors of my club and pay about $750k to $850k for that sponsorship deal ie half the games like the WA govt deal.

Only Collingwood and West Coast are reported to get well over $2mil a year from their major jumper sponsor. So if South can get $1.5mil from WA govt and the same from the NAB then they are doing very well.

If I was a WA taxpayer, I would however, be asking questions as to whether this is a good deal or not from a taxpayer's point of view.

If I was a WA taxpayer, I would however, be asking questions as to whether this is a good deal or not from a taxpayer's point of view.
6th May 2008 10:40
Well the Go West campaign which is said to be put on the jumpers is the result of WA Governments concern that Western Australia has/ is failing to attract East Coast migrants to perminently settle. No problems with Kiwi's, Saffies, Poms and other internationals but our Australian brethren don't seem to be attracted in making the full move.

I hate Souths but I wouldn't mind catching a bit of League, as long as they play at Perth Oval / Members Equity Stadium. 2 games a year sounds great and managable. Love to see the Reds back but I find it hard to believe it will work any better than say the Storm. I really think it was a matter of who got Perth first and Rugby Union won with the Force. There crowds are amazing considering how poor the venue is, far more than I expected. I can't see any Perth NRL team pulling over 10 000 unless playing the Broncos, Manly or St George.

Mr Holmes a Court and Mr Crowe bought 75per cent of the ailing club for $3million in 2006.

Noticed this bit on the original article...

So am I right in guessing that Souths are worth $4 million as a club???

Can't be true...I may have missed something

Souths were circling the drain at the time. They were running at a huge loss and it was widely believed they would be relocated or bust within a year or two.
I think they were relying on handouts from a few wealthy benefactors (namely Russel Crowe) just to pay the players from week to week.

The way Russel Crowe tells it, he just decided instead of constantly giving money away to a dying, terribly run club, he'd put an offer to the members to buy a controlling share in the club, and then clean out management and pour in his own money to turn the club around.

I think the $3m price was symbolic more than anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion WA Govt $1.5mil sponsorship of South Sydney RLFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back