WA U18 squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Fev's 191 cm. But yeah, not much of a difference and he's probably still growing. Pavs around the same height as Fev.

Will be interesting to see where Myles Bolger goes. Huge potential, but we won't see him this year because of his foot surgery (same injury Hird had and Egan's still trying to overcome). Given the problems Egan has had trying to get back with the same injury there will be big question marks over him.

Of the guys listed in the squad the following are eligible to be picked up by GWS as 17 y.o.'s this year:

• Hodge
  • Erceg
  • Kersten
  • Bolger
  • Ugle
Given GWS won't be competing until 2012 you would think they may take the punt on Bolger.

Bolger is the best young prospect in the that squad after Benell.

Pure ruckman who uses his body exceptionally well, deft touch with his hands.

Still growing into his body, will be the ruckman of this draft.

Hopefully he can overcome his injury problems.

Stupidly mobile. Freo could use him.

Mayneman do you have any inside info on the severity of Bolger's injury as the nature and prognosis for these types of injuries is often rather pessimistic ?

Sounds like a Cox replacement. :eek: You can have Sandilands little bro. :thumbsu:

Unfortunatly Michael Evan, Rays Daniels also didn't make the squad both have been amoungst the bests more often that not in games played this season. I would have thought 13 underage reps was a little too high. :confused:

Mayneman do you have any inside info on the severity of Bolger's injury as the nature and prognosis for these types of injuries is often rather pessimistic ?

Havent got specifics, will do some digging down at the club and give you a better idea on the weekend.

From what I've heard it's fairly similar to the issues Micky Gardiner struggled with for a fair portion of his career.

Just on Bolger not available this year, unless for GWS if I am not mistaken. I have heard reports that he is out for this year, and will take it easy given the nature of the injury. He is a super ruck prospect as you mentioned and is probably the best prospect going around, though this year eligible draft players I would say Scott Lycett, very athletic although ruckwork needs to improve a bit.

On the WA squad, strong as always although I am not sure if they will win this year, it will be close, my tip is SA to surprise. Darling has from reports learning to play as a mid, which could be interesting probably got the talent and ability IMO, yet still a super prospect, if only he grew 5cm.

Havent got specifics, will do some digging down at the club and give you a better idea on the weekend.

From what I've heard it's fairly similar to the issues Micky Gardiner struggled with for a fair portion of his career.

Thanks Mate and I look forward to reading what ever info that you can pick up.:thumbsu:

Sounds like a Cox replacement. :eek: You can have Sandilands little bro. :thumbsu:

Unfortunatly Michael Evan, Rays Daniels also didn't make the squad both have been amoungst the bests more often that not in games played this season. I would have thought 13 underage reps was a little too high. :confused:
Don't think he played much football/took it to seriously as a young bloke, so has a fair way to go.:eek:

See how he progresses for East Freo colts but no doubt his name and height (if he keeps growing), will go a long way to getting him drafted.

Good too see young Kyle Cranley from Subiaco make the preliminary squad. Played Colts for the Eaton Boomers in the SWFL last year after not playing football since u/10's and developed super quickly. Impressed in the Trial Game yesterday too.

Bolger is having similar issues to Travis Gaspar, constant hot spots in his feet.

Requires constant attention and is no certainty to play in the champs.

Sorry to be so scarce on detail, but that's all I could gather from the weekend.

Good too see young Kyle Cranley from Subiaco make the preliminary squad. Played Colts for the Eaton Boomers in the SWFL last year after not playing football since u/10's and developed super quickly. Impressed in the Trial Game yesterday too.

Any other info on who played well in the trial game?

In a lot of 'mock drafts' he was high.

Gourdis etc. Guys who put on goos junior results but have no upside.

It depends on how you look at it and what you consider to be 'upside'. Perhaps it's the other way around, players who are all potential 'upside' and little substance. One poster teasingly calls them 'Pafloyul specials' - bastard! ;)

I tend to over-reach when I try to evaluate players. I guess you need to be objective and intuitive at the same time. A lot on here tend to just look at the stats and who dominates at junior level and don't attempt to envisage what the players will be like in five or so years time. Whereas I let my obsession with finding the next Kouta or Goodes cloud my judgement. It's just a difference in outlook.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

haha too true, I get a woody when I see a player put on the afterburners, probably to the extend where I neglect to note the poor decision on the end of it as much as I should.

Very hard to be balanced, you have traits in players you like, and players you generally like.

This may be a stupid question but was Stefan Jarman eligible to play for the WA u18 squad?? I'm assuming, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, he's old enough as he reaches draft age next year so he should be a bottom ager in the u18's this year??? Can any West Aussies shed some light on how he's going?? He is probably going to be the Crows first F/S selection so I'm hoping we have a player on our hands... I need SOMETHING to look forward to after the Crows horrible season this year!:)

This may be a stupid question but was Stefan Jarman eligible to play for the WA u18 squad?? I'm assuming, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, he's old enough as he reaches draft age next year so he should be a bottom ager in the u18's this year??? Can any West Aussies shed some light on how he's going?? He is probably going to be the Crows first F/S selection so I'm hoping we have a player on our hands... I need SOMETHING to look forward to after the Crows horrible season this year!:)
His age is right to be a bottom ager and was playing WAFL U18's/U17's or whatever their feeder comp is last year. Looks like he didn't make the cut. Though not all hope is lost, some very very good players don't make it to state teams as bottom agers.

I havnt posted here for nearly a year, just googled the WA 18s squad and this came up so thought Id post my thoughts.

Firstly, I go to, or have gone to school with 4 blokes in the squad, so congrats to them on making it. Secondly, Hodge is very similar to Kurt Tippett, even looks a sort of the same.

Trial matches today for WA.

WA U18 (A Team) vs WA U20's - won by the U18's 106 to 94.

Harley Bennell BOG - 29 poss, 3 goals.
Darling & Kersten - 4 goals each
Butcher (23), Conca (28) and Congilio (24) all good.

No real standouts for the U20's. Looks like Shadbolt, Elari - did okay.

WA U18 (B Team) vs WA Country - won by country 102 to 91.

No stats up for Country.

For the B Team, A Black (20), Andreoli (23), Elisseou (25, 4 goals),

Didn't go myself. Just going off stats from here:

http://prowess.com.au/live/wafl/scoreboard.php?comp=WAS10&rnd= 1&mtch=2
http://prowess.com.au/live/wafl/scoreboard.php?comp=WAS10&rnd= 1&mtch=3

Bennell is clearly the standout from WA this year and so probably on his way to the Gold Coast :(

went down to watch the game against the state 20's and Bennell was best on ground plays the game with so much ease looks a great talent. Butcher, Conca and Coniglio were the other standouts i thought along with Darling kicking 4 goals and looking quite impressive.

The captain this year is Butcher with Darling, Conca and Fasolo vice captains. looks to be a quick team with alot of skill good luck to them next weekend against S.A

Cant believe Butcher has been selected as captain...

Does not show alot of upside to me, and is quite selfish. Also surprised Blayne Wilson and Jamie Cripps missed out on the leadership group.

Not sure how the boys will go this year, Harley Bennell's form will probably determine weather we can win the carnival or not I believe

Remove this Banner Ad

WA U18 squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back