WACA Wallys

Remove this Banner Ad

We'll find out just how popular the Big Bash is next year. There's an article in the Sunday Times saying how because of the temporary stands set up for the Ashes, they'll be leaving it up for the Big Bash. That means capacity will be lifted to 24,000, an extra 6000 seats. If crowds increase notably as well (they'll need to sell a little more than half of the temporary seats to break even in the costs to set it up) then the WACA will look at setting them up every year for the Big Bash.

That maybe true, but what's wrong with getting more people through the gates? Isn't one of the fundamental aims of a sporting organisation to get as many people watching as possible?

Nothing wrong, but you could open the gates & let in all comers & not break even ... ah the mighty dollar !!

That maybe true, but what's wrong with getting more people through the gates? Isn't one of the fundamental aims of a sporting organisation to get as many people watching as possible?

Revenue & profits will always come first. Like I previously said cricket is about to be changed forever. For some it may be doomsday. Footy & cricket will cater for theatre goers n not the died in the wool pie eating fan. People like my wife, who has no interest in cricket but will come along for a few hours entertainment in top quality facilities for a few hours. And sorry the WACA will never match the standard of sports stadium like Perth stadium. But do expect the WACA test to stay.

Revenue & profits will always come first. Like I previously said cricket is about to be changed forever. For some it may be doomsday. Footy & cricket will cater for theatre goers n not the died in the wool pie eating fan. People like my wife, who has no interest in cricket but will come along for a few hours entertainment in top quality facilities for a few hours. And sorry the WACA will never match the standard of sports stadium like Perth stadium. But do expect the WACA test to stay.

So you're saying that Cricket Australia shouldn't be trying to get as many people watching as possible?

I'm really having trouble deciphering the drama queen bullshit and trying to work out what your point is.

Plan sounds good. You could play T20s and ODIs at the new stadium with a drop in, the pitch doesn’t matter anyway. All they want is short boundaries (bring those ropes in) so the kids get to see plenty of sixers!

Leave the Perth test at the WACA for now... it’ll be a slow burn until / if they consistently sell out, then the economics will take over and they’ll eventually be moved too. They stay until / unless they can pull a bigger crowd elsewhere.

Of course this is all moot as it assumes a new stadium will actually be built, which we all know will never happen anyway.

So you're saying that Cricket Australia shouldn't be trying to get as many people watching as possible?

I'm really having trouble deciphering the drama queen bullshit and trying to work out what your point is.

I fear he has does not know the difference between revenue & profit
Revenue & profits will always come first ...

If you bothered to read my earlier post you would have read that i stated that CA will move most larger crowd pulling games to PS when completed thus increasing crowd numbers which will increase revenue & ultimatly profit, just for you kwality. Mabye if half of you d!ipshits here on big footy actually read what people wrote instead of trying to start an arguement, some good debate might actually happen on this forum. Ive sat & read a lot on this forum in the last 6 months & have come to notice the majority of posters on this site are a bunch headup their a$$e$, living in a bubble wannabe heros. So ive actually got a life to live & enjoy. Some of you should try it. So goodbye BF, what a f@ck3n joke the lot of you are.

If you bothered to read my earlier post you would have read that i stated that CA will move most larger crowd pulling games to PS when completed thus increasing crowd numbers which will increase revenue & ultimatly profit, just for you kwality. Mabye if half of you d!ipshits here on big footy actually read what people wrote instead of trying to start an arguement, some good debate might actually happen on this forum. Ive sat & read a lot on this forum in the last 6 months & have come to notice the majority of posters on this site are a bunch headup their a$$e$, living in a bubble wannabe heros. So ive actually got a life to live & enjoy. Some of you should try it. So goodbye BF, what a f@ck3n joke the lot of you are.

Sayonara Motors !!

Plan sounds good. You could play T20s and ODIs at the new stadium with a drop in, the pitch doesn’t matter anyway. All they want is short boundaries (bring those ropes in) so the kids get to see plenty of sixers!

Leave the Perth test at the WACA for now... it’ll be a slow burn until / if they consistently sell out, then the economics will take over and they’ll eventually be moved too. They stay until / unless they can pull a bigger crowd elsewhere.

Of course this is all moot as it assumes a new stadium will actually be built, which we all know will never happen anyway.

The WACA will be the only real Cricket ground in Australia soon. Keep all cricket there, just upgrade the seating at the Northern end, which the apartments are going to help fund I seem to recall reading somewhere.

It will get built,

In August 2012, Mr Barnett announced the WA Government would sell 5.8ha of Burswood golf course land to the Burswood complex, for Mr Packer's planned $568 million six-star hotel. The land, valued at $95 million, was to be sold for $60 million. As part of the deal, Mr Barnett said the Government had ''agreed not to oppose an application for 500 additional gaming machines and 130 additional gaming tables, including new private gaming salons''.

the question is how much will it end up costing?

The 2011 Cabinet document also shows that the $700 million stadium costing the Premier used in his June 28, 2011, announcement about the venue going to Burswood would have applied only if construction had started in 2007.

We need to ask the AFL to kick in a more money considering the revenue they would be getting from WA.

After Sport and Recreation Minister Terry Waldron met Australian Football League chief executive Andrew Demetriou on April 19, 2011, it was believed the AFL was "likely to contribute between $2m - $5m'' to the stadium.

We need to ask the AFL to kick in a more money considering the revenue they would be getting from WA.

What sports kicked in for the new indoor stadium?
What sports kicked in for the new rectangular stadium?
What sports other than Australian Football have kicked in for anything?
The WAFC kicked in for SUbiaco.
The SANFL kicked in for Westlakes.
The VFL kicked in for Waverley park and Docklands.
The AFL kicked in for Carrara, Homebush, Showgrounds, BIS and Gabba .

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/breaking/16381409/wafl-hits-tv-jackpot/

The WAFL match of the round would be played at the WACA Ground next year under a proposal to broadcast the State league on commercial television.

But Channel 9 wants the WAFL to find at least $800,000 to cover its annual costs before it considers a five-year deal to broadcast the competition.
The WACA appeals to Channel 9 because the network already has infrastructure at the ground for its annual cricket coverage. Using one venue would limit production and broadcast costs.
The WACA, which has hosted 680 WAFL matches since 1898, is eager to find a winter tenant and would embrace football as a means to drive memberships and increase income.
WACA chief executive Christina Matthews confirmed that negotiations had taken place with the WAFL but nothing concrete had been agreed to.

Would love to see this proposal get up. Would help both the WACA by giving them a winter tenant and the WAFL with far better exposure than what the ABC could give them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like not. The WACA is too small.

WAFL should do their own version of NBL.TV - online direct subscription services.
No one will bother to subscribe to watching WAFL games online, plus it's not practical since most WAFL games are played at the same time. The WAFL would just lose money setting up the cameras and feeds. The best result for the WAFL would be to get a commercial partner and this could be their only chance.

Do tell, what sort of subscription numbers would they need to break even?

I wouldn't know off the top of my head. Rephrase it to the WAFL should investigate it seriously.

The proposal doesn't sound entirely favourable to the WAFL. They are paying Ch 9 $800 grand to do the cheapest telecast possible on a ground not really suitable. They are giving up ticketing and beverage revenue to the WACA and will have to compensate the clubs whose games get shifted there. It doesn't look that favourable to me.

They should at least look into the alternatives. It could be they stream one game a week for free but with advertising included.

Why don't they play this so called WAFL fixture of the round at a redeveloped and downsized Subiaco Oval in a few years

It's not a bad idea, although bear in mind the reason the WACA is on the cards is because Channel 9 supposedly find it easier and cheaper to broadcast from there because they already have the facilities from the summer. Subiaco obviously wouldn't have any of those.

It's not a bad idea, although bear in mind the reason the WACA is on the cards is because Channel 9 supposedly find it easier and cheaper to broadcast from there because they already have the facilities from the summer. Subiaco obviously wouldn't have any of those.
yes but in the long run when they downsize subi and make it the eagles training ground and WAFL grand final ground surely they can put these requirements in.

Got this notice to members today

We are writing to you in regards to Stage 1 of the WACA Ground Redevelopment, The Gardens, to give you an update on the project’s progress and our proposal to give more certainty to the commencement of the construction and at the same time satisfy emerging priorities for the WACA Redevelopment.

The WACA, and our joint venture partner, Ascot Capital, have been very pleased with the market response to The Gardens, however, a number of issues have arisen in recent months which we have seen as being positive opportunities to move the project towards onsite commencement. There have also been cricket related factors which have shaped our intentions and we have looked to deal with upgrades of WACA cricket facilities in parallel with moving forward with The Gardens development.

In December 2013, the WACA plays host to The Ashes series and the period of pre-sales marketing for The Gardens was beginning to impact on planning for this key event. In March 2015, Australia will be hosting the cricket World Cup for which the WACA will be hosting an allocation of matches. We are very keen to put in place specific upgrades in time for this major event and we have looked at the redevelopment of the western portion of the ground as a key part of that strategy. At the same time, we have reviewed The Gardens development and believe that we can deliver a better development with more certainty over timeframes if we reduce the overall number of apartments, from 137 apartments to just 76 apartments. Our project team has carefully considered this challenge and in reducing the overall number of apartments they are ensuring that most apartments are a like for like proposition, with regards to the design, views and quality being consistently maintained. We believe that this revised proposal is a positive move because of the following reasons:

• It is a more exclusive, boutique development
  • A reduced pre-sales target gives more certainty for commencement and completion
The most important key step for us to proceed with this revised proposal is the acceptance and support from our existing buyers. To date we have been successfully working through this, in order to produce a positive result for everyone. Current indications are that we will have a 95% take-up when new contracts are ready for signing. Our planned programme for commencement is immediately after this year’s Ashes series, with a construction start on site of February 2014. The anticipated completion and handover of the apartments is during the last quarter of 2015.

We again wish to assure you that this is a better development proposal, that we have your best interests at heart in making these key decisions and will provide a further update at the end of June.

Yours sincerely

Dennis Lillee AM MBE
President
David Williams
Chairman
Cant say halving the capacity of the apartments fills me with much confidence :confused:

Remove this Banner Ad

WACA Wallys

Remove this Banner Ad

Back