Autopsy Wacky Wednesday.

Remove this Banner Ad

This is why English Premier League players own pubs and clubs - they can prevent this stuff getting out. AFL just needs that salary cap to expand about 20x more then it will be possible here as well šŸ˜‚

I do think it is a shame that things like this get leaked by ā€œdo goodersā€. There was clear intent to keep it private and all the players went expecting to see things on the offensive side of the comedic spectrum - I donā€™t think there is any evidence that anyone present took actual offence. It would be like playing Cards Against Humanity and then a newspaper printing the combinations created - it would look truly terrible but the context would be missed.

That said, the tape got leaked and the Jarryd Hayne skit sounds like it was particularly bad. How would the poor women feel who have made complaints be feeling now? How would some parents of girls and women fans be feeling? Iā€™m a man I found it in really poor taste.

And the optics on some of the other skits were also pretty terrible. AFL is a business and they had to act. If it was a corporate environment, the punishments would likely be even stiffer - I suspect some of the leaders would have been sacked (rightly or wrongly). Whether AFL players like it or not, they get paid really well and that comes with higher expectations than your local footy club. Gotta take the bad with the really good.

What I really donā€™t get is how on earth players still get themselves in trouble at their end of year parties. Cover your damn ass and run the plans by management. It might take some of the fun away, but better that then end up all over the news. Or just go bush and ban phones then do what you please. Just be smarter about itā€¦

Edit: sorry for the intrusion. Happy to move this post to a general discussion thread if there is one. I do like the Giants and they, along with Brisbane are my second favourite team.
This. Best take I have readšŸ‘. I feel exactly the same way. I do think the match suspensions are too harsh on the younger players and they have been hung out to dry here.

That said, the tape got leaked and the Jarryd Hayne skit sounds like it was particularly bad. How would the poor women feel who have made complaints be feeling now? How would some parents of girls and women fans be feeling? Iā€™m a man I found it in really poor taste.
Haynes' convictions were quashed.

The woman involved behaved in a manner suggesting she had concealed evidence from the police.

Club has now emailed all members of the incident. Seems to agree with the AFL penalties

Dear members,

I am writing to personally address the recent news surrounding the inappropriate conduct of some of our AFL players at the playersā€™ end-of-season event.

We must begin by firstly expressing our disappointment in the behaviour that occurred. There is absolutely no excuse for the behaviour that occurred and the breach of standards.

Our club is built on the values of inclusiveness and respect for all and it was a clear breach of the clubā€™s policies and values and a significant departure from the standards of behaviour that we expect of all our players and staff.

The club ā€“ and all players involved ā€“ have co-operated throughout the entire process which has been addressed with the highest level of importance and has involved the clubā€™s own Integrity Committee, alongside the AFL Integrity Unit.

The players involved apologised unreservedly for their behaviour and have taken responsibility for contravening the standards we expect in relation to respect, equality, inclusion and safety.

We believe this is an isolated incident but understand the severity of the situation and the sanctions handed down reflect that.

As a club, alongside the AFL playing group, we take full responsibility and are implementing measures to ensure this never happens again.

The club is committed to providing further education for the entire playing group, reviewing integrity and leadership practices to strengthen and enhance culture and reviewing practices and procedures around player events.

Once again, I want to apologise sincerely to you and thank you for your ongoing support of the club.

David Matthews
GIANTS Chief Executive Officer

Did the players change into these costumes after the coaching staff left? Or maybe it wasnā€™t offensive to be in the costumes and only offensive to do the skits.
Iā€™d like to hear from the club about the sanctions to any non-playing leaders who attended and saw the costumes.
The punishments seem to be out of proportion from the information released, and particularly to the player leaders. What about other club leaders? Have they been treated consistently?

**** off Barrett.
Funny you donā€™t demand other captains to be punished

I bet he has attended stand up comics.
View attachment 2146465
The most senior person there, correct me if I'm wrong wasn't some coaches there at some point

Where's the club imposed fines for staff ?

**** off Barrett.
Funny you donā€™t demand other captains to be punished

I bet he has attended stand up comics.
View attachment 2146465
" There is zero forum in which a "joke" about sexual or domestic violence is appropriate."
This line is where Barrett tells us dummies what to think.
He should suspend and fine himself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Wacky Wednesday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back