Play Nice WADA v Essendon 34: Guilty, 2 Yr Susp. (backdated to Mar 2015). Affects 17 current AFL plyrs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Man, reading the CAS report, it's pretty much precisely what us foamers have been saying for 3 years.
Almost word for word.

That it is.

QC Beloff has discreetly been posing as blackcat and reading the facts from the BEST sources in town....the mighty HTB for years :D

Meh. The players? Stuff them. Put your energy into being devastated for kids with chronic illnesses, domestic violence victims, the disabled, refugees, the mentally ill etc. But a handful of dopey, physically advantaged, privileged dills who play sport for a living? Who cares. Wouldn't worry me what sport they played, or who they played for, no sympathy here.

In all walks of life, people have rules and regulations to follow in order to maintain, and gain in their employment. Sport is a pretty easy one. Team sport probably easier, as nearly everything else (schedules, flights, appearances, training times etc) is done for them anyway.

1. Listen to the coach.
2. Don't be a drug cheat.
3. Eat well??

Simple really.

All this concern for the players is misguided hogwash. Maybe a handful could use the year off to start some form of education so they could re-learn point 2 above.

You had ONE job, put three rules out and look like a king. Pity rules 1 and 2 basically contradict each other.

Was almost a good post. But I do agree with the sentiment that physically able and financially fit athletes don't need as much of my devastation as others mentioned therein.

The banning of the players is absolutely correct.

Yes, I understand that the players were told by Hird and the other idiots to take the banned substances and as players, they would would have thought that if the coach said do it, then they were compelled to do it so in that sense, there were mitigating circumstances.

Unfortunately, these young men should have thought for themselves and asked questions as to what was going to be/was being INJECTED into them. Their attitude is symptomatic of the irresponsibility and laissez-faire frame of mind that is so prevalent in "professional" sport these days. We see the Dustin Martin type shit all too often and don't see the far more often unreported outrages.

Sports people with bucket loads of cash but with no common sense or manners being cajoled by a society transfixed by exhibitionism and voyeurism.

Hopefully, these suspensions will wake up other sportspeople, not just Aussie Rules players and get them to take responsibility for their own well being and not be just stooges for the Hirds and Danks etc. of this world.

Absolutely. If the players displayed a united front and asked all the pertinent questions, demanded details instead of just blindly following orders (Nuremberg defense) then they could have saved themselves a world of shit. They had resources at their disposal outside of the club to boot ie Players union, player agents, independent medical experts, AFL house etc there were many options along the way but instead they chose the clandestine route imho.

I think that you will find that the EFC* were punished initially for governance issues in regards to the lack of record keeping of who got what in the supplements program.

If they were to be punished now, it would be because they have been found to have breached the rules in regards to team doping.

They would have been punished for two difference offences. However McLaughing has announced that they will not be punishing Essendon* for doping as they have already been punished enough by having to play Chapman and Goddard in their side.

I back Lance on this. Timing of AFL punishment was very unhelpful.

Regards

S. Pete

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think James is mentally shot

Carrying the guilt around that he was principally involved in screwing up 34 players lives for going on 4 years now

I think James was mentally shot before this and it just brought some issues to the surface.

Ah, so based on that response, you must clearly accept that the club and players knowingly doped and tried to hide it from Anti Doping authorities, and are now only here to troll.

Noted.
Lance contributes little to the debate and tries to deflect by taking personal shots.

I'm sure the majority of his posts in this thread would fit that profile.

All this ignores the larger issue though.

The AFL may or may not be able to go it alone like MLB for example as a practical matter. And that may or may not have consequences for its funding.

The deeper issue, is it is a great way to **** up a sport. MLB has been rife with drug cheating, and it all came out, and has caused sufficient damage to the MLB brand (leaving aside the damage to its players), that it now has moved its penalties and drug testing regime into basic parity with the WADA code.

Exactly right.

When you insource your drug testing regime to "manage" outcomes, you tend to give at least an amber light to drugs.

Green. Let's be real about why it happens.

Many organisations rely on taking on govt incentives to get money, it is very common.

Did I suggest otherwise?

Finally someone at EFC is talking sense.... Lindsay Tanner "the blame game must end"

If only this was the mindset early on then things would be very different.

That's why Evans had to go and be replaced by Stuart Little.

Now James is mad. Watch out now I reckon.

Why? He's going to lose the plot even further? Tanya is going to say things that are even stupider? What do we have to look forward to?

I back Lance on this. Timing of AFL punishment was very unhelpful.

Regards

S. Pete
It was an attempt to minimise the damage to Essendon.

Hindsight can be a bitch if you're a cheat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice WADA v Essendon 34: Guilty, 2 Yr Susp. (backdated to Mar 2015). Affects 17 current AFL plyrs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back