Play Nice WADA v Essendon 34: Guilty, 2 Yr Susp. (backdated to Mar 2015). Affects 17 current AFL plyrs.

Remove this Banner Ad

It is pretty obvious that Hird is extremely bitter about the period from 1999-2001.

Essendon had a team good enough to win 3 premierships in a row, but in Hird's mind they were denied one by the salary cap cheats of Carlton and another by the drug cheats of Brisbane.

This bitterness has grown and manifested itself into orchestrating a team wide doping regime after becoming a senior coach of the club who was so cruelly denied a place in history.
Didn't he also have a go at the umpire group some years ago? He certainly is iconoclastic, anti authoritarian, his own man, what were once regarded as very Australian traits. Think Kelly, Curtin and Keating. Perhaps no so much these days when conformity is valued over causing a ruckus. I admire this abt Hird.

BUT...
One must apply the same diligence one applies to others to oneself. A self critique. Hird is self-oblivious. There is something psychotic in this. His latest revelation was simply that they hired the B team, not the A team. He seriously needs some introspection. Perhaps he is INCAPABLE. He's become an object of mockery. Macbeth and King Lear rolled into one. I pity him.

It is pretty obvious that Hird is extremely bitter about the period from 1999-2001.

Essendon had a team good enough to win 3 premierships in a row, but in Hird's mind they were denied one by the salary cap cheats of Carlton and another by the drug cheats of Brisbane.

This bitterness has grown and manifested itself into orchestrating a team wide doping regime after becoming a senior coach of the club who was so cruelly denied a place in history.

Quite ironic given the Bombers cheated for the 93 flag.

And that James Albert Hird engaged the services of a notorious PED dealer as his "dietary advisor".

He wrote it to Hamilton and Hird, put a copy on Hamilton's desk, never gave Hird a copy, and that was it. NEVER FOLLOWED IT UP! So much for his "concern".

Supposedly a former footballer, the Essendon general manager that CAS identifies as Robinson jointly reporting to and apparently currently the Regional General Manager for AFL Central Victoria, but I'm beginning to think he doesn't actually exist.

Given his role you would think a key figure who at the very least could offer insights into the management of the sports science program at Essendon. And I would have thought interesting to hear why he quit Essendon in late 2012 (after Dank had left Essendon).

But, as far as I'm aware, barely mentioned in the whole saga.
Hird, Corcoran, Thompson, Reid & Essendon all initially sanctioned by the AFL, Hamilton nothing and indeed currently employed under the AFL banner.

Just strikes me as odd that an individual who at the very least should have been eye-witness to the situation appears not to be of any great interest, even to the extent of identifying that he was bypassed, if that were the case.

It will be an appropriate Anzac Day match-up.

Wasn't Anzac Day about sending young men into an impossible situation where they got slaughtered?

I feel awful for laughing as hard as I just did :eek:

Here's a suggestion for the AFL/GILL instead of being apologists for the players.

How about a "Just say 'no' (to drugs)" round?

They have an opportunity to reinforce WADA'S message, instead they are expressing mis-placed sympathy with the players who offended.
They could always get rid of the 3 strike rule for starters and show they are serious about drugs, but they won't.

If the Pies start well and Ess lose their first 4 games by 100+ (for the record I don't think they will, at all) it will arguably be the biggest Anzac Day ever. People will tune in for the massacre they will be seen to deserve

Are you implying people will tune in to see Collingwood whack another team?

Settle down, they may be cheats but they didn't kill anyone!

So embarrassing for the AFL that one of the most respected and reputable lawyers in the world has just claimed their tribunal panel didn't understand anti-doping rules
Oh they knew the rules. The instructions weren't to follow them though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't he also have a go at the umpire group some years ago? He certainly is iconoclastic, anti authoritarian, his own man, what were once regarded as very Australian traits. Think Kelly, Curtin and Keating. Perhaps no so much these days when conformity is valued over causing a ruckus. I admire this abt Hird.

BUT...
One must apply the same diligence one applies to others to oneself. A self critique. Hird is self-oblivious. There is something psychotic in this. His latest revelation was simply that they hired the B team, not the A team. He seriously needs some introspection. Perhaps he is INCAPABLE. He's become an object of mockery. Macbeth and King Lear rolled into one. I pity him.
Really had to stop at the Keating bit , admired , good traits ? most would not want to be associated with him.

If it was a defence to say "I don't really know what I took but was assured it was not banned" then the whole WADA world wide anti doping program would not work. There's a reason there is strict liability.
Yes, at is clear from the ruling. Hey Lance Uppercut , it seems that strict liability still applies.

2 Quick Questions:

Do players suspended by WADA get drug tested during their suspension? Or can they get a strike under AFLs drug policy for recreational drugs?

Additionally, if a suspended player organised training on their own with a WADA signatory (for example a cycling club or Athletics club), could they train? Or are they banned from all training with associated sports.

Interesting, isn't it? What are future generations going to remember more about this period, Hawthorn's premierships or Essendon's mischief making?

They'll remember both coz they'll all be Hawthorn supporters anyway :D

2 Quick Questions:

Do players suspended by WADA get drug tested during their suspension? Or can they get a strike under AFLs drug policy for recreational drugs?

Additionally, if a suspended player organised training on their own with a WADA signatory (for example a cycling club or Athletics club), could they train? Or are they banned from all training with associated sports.

Players do get tested for PED's during a suspension - though it may be only the final 6 months.

a cyclist recently tested positive to testosterone while still suspended from a previous drug ban. I am not certain if that applies to illicit/recreational drugs that are not banned in competition under the WADA code though

(remember - WADA code only bans narcotics in competition. The AFL code goes further and says if you get 3 strikes out of competition you will also be banned.

still - they are certainly still in the ASADA testing pool during their suspension.

2 Quick Questions:

Good questions. Additionally, how do the relevant authorities monitor the banned players training regimes? The banned players can interact with club officials, players, coaching staff et al socially, seems it wouldn't be hard to verbally instruct banned athletes, although i'm not suggesting Essendon would try to illegally circumvent this...

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice WADA v Essendon 34: Guilty, 2 Yr Susp. (backdated to Mar 2015). Affects 17 current AFL plyrs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back