WAFL Watch 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

The more I think about it, the more I think we need Anthony to play in the back line. With the way we want our forward line to play, Anthony may be too slow and not be a good enough tackler, I suspect this is why he is not being played. The best we can hope for Anthony is to play like Kyle Hardingham type role. We are crying out for a 3rd tall at the moment, while Silvagni is injured. Also, McPharlin and Grover will be retired soon, so we need some people to push through. I dont think Anthony could possibly be a worse backman than Johnson!

Former Docker Brock O'Brien is turning it on again. Four goals two behinds in the first half of the derby. Still only about 22 yo. Wonder if anyone will bite.

7 poss for Bucovaz to half time.

BoB looked pretty good today. Be nice to have him back at Freo as he can still take a contested mark and was kicking pretty straight. Weather was utterly perfect down at Moss Street, so I guess thats not a surprise.

Didn't see a lot of Buco but what I did see looked pretty good. He was probably one of East Freo's better players as far as taking contested marks and finding targets but when you consider East Freo hardly hit a target all day with a handball, maybe thats not saying a lot.

I came away with the impression that Buco was travelling ok and certainly showed more poise than most of those around him.

Edit: BoB finished with 7 goals today. Looked the goods.

Mellington - 14 possessions, 3 goals, 3 tackles.
Van Berlo - 12 possessions, 4 tackles, 1 goal.
Shep - 5 poss (going to take a miracle for him to remain on the list)
Roberton - 15 possessions, 7 tackles.

So by what I can read by the stats and comments Mellington, Anthony, JVB and Schammer could earn a call up?

Roberton, Pitt, Spags and Walters (susp) all unlikely then???

Barlow to play to play with Peel then Sub for Melbourne game in 2 weeks.

From memory, Walters only got one week so he'd be available for selection. He'd probably be better value than playing Palmer of HFF again, so why not?

Would have been nice having Palmer playing in the middle for East Freo today as centre clearances were an area where we fell down a fair bit of the time.

From memory, Walters only got one week so he'd be available for selection. He'd probably be better value than playing Palmer of HFF again, so why not?

Would have been nice having Palmer playing in the middle for East Freo today as centre clearances were an area where we fell down a fair bit of the time.

Posted this on a different thread. Walters was suspended for 1 match but Swans had the bye. He will subsequently not be available until 18 June at which time I'd rather see him play another WAFL game but unfortunately that date is the state game and thus Walters wont play again for Swans until 25 June.

Posted this on a different thread. Walters was suspended for 1 match but Swans had the bye. He will subsequently not be available until 18 June at which time I'd rather see him play another WAFL game but unfortunately that date is the state game and thus Walters wont play again for Swans until 25 June.

Ah crap! Forgot the bye!

Yep he won't get a look in for while. Doubt we'll see him in purple until after the bye unless the injury list blows out some. (no no no.....)

Bucovaz - 15 poss, 4 tackles, 1 goal.

Jack Anthony - 14 poss, 2 tackles, 3 goals.

Schammer - 16 poss, 8 tackles, 1 goal.

We certainly don't like to recruit people that can find the ball.

I was at Claremont Oval to see the Tigers walk all over Subi after 1/4 time...

Jack Anthony - Did ok. Probably would be low on stats, but was Top 2 in best players after 1st quarter. Presented well from a half forward position. Crashed packs & looked pumped to get involved in the game.

2nd qtr - Claremont piled on 7 goals to 1 I think & Jack didn't get a look in. The 1 play he was involved in, he accidentally kicked the ball on the full...which brought some bronx cheers

3rd Qtr - Did some nice things again, chased hard, kicked a goal. Smashed the pack a-la Troy Wilson like on one occasion

4th Qtr - Game was well & truly over....again did some ok things - 1 great 15 metre handball to a player behind him in space springs to mind...he may of kicked some junk time goals? But I left about 1/2 way thru last qtr.

To me...perhaps not a player to give up on just yet.

Byron Schammer - Again...no idea how many possies he got, but ran hard from his wing, kicked a nice running goal & was in a position on about 3-4 occasions where his teammates didn't pass to him inside 50 when he was on his own. Good day out but could of been a great day out had his teammates looked after him. Used the ball well, especially by hand

No other Freo player at the ground....Garrick Weedon of Wet Toast though took an absolute screamer...flew over pack on someone's shoulder & grabbed it with 1 arm...unbelievable mark. I wish Freo had some freak players on our list

Bucovaz - 15 poss, 4 tackles, 1 goal.

Jack Anthony - 14 poss, 2 tackles, 3 goals.

Schammer - 16 poss, 8 tackles, 1 goal.

We certainly don't like to recruit people that can find the ball.

I don't know how Schammer and Jack went but Buco certainly used the ball well today. He was finding targets when those around him weren't. I'd still rate that higher than getting 25 touches and butchering 20 of them.

Mellington - 14 possessions, 3 goals, 3 tackles.
Van Berlo - 12 possessions, 4 tackles, 1 goal.
Shep - 5 poss (going to take a miracle for him to remain on the list)
Roberton - 15 possessions, 7 tackles.

Schammer - 16 possessions, 1 goal, 6 I50, 8 tackles
Bouca - 15 possessions, 1 goal, 4 tackles
Anthony - 14 possessions, 4 marks, 3 I50, 3 tackles, 3 goals
Pitt - 16 possessions, 5 marks, 1 tackle
Hinkley (Res) - 18 possessions, 1 goal
Barlow (Res) - 15 possessions, 2 tackles
Bollenhagen (Res) - 12 possessions, 8 marks, 1 goal

Looks from that lot that Mellington and Anthony were the best. Schammer's 8 tackles and Roberton's 7 tacklesworthy of a mention. Great half game from Barlow.

I woud say Hinkley and Roberton who were emmergencies and perhaps Mellington/Anthony could come into contention but not a lot of change I would think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know how Schammer and Jack went but Buco certainly used the ball well today. He was finding targets when those around him weren't. I'd still rate that higher than getting 25 touches and butchering 20 of them.

Yep, I'd echo that sentiment oz. Was switched forward in the last quarter where he kicked a brilliant, no look 45m snap. When down back he attacked the ball, was sure with his handling when others weren't, just looked good with ball in hand. Better game than the stats reflect (if you're a stats watcher). 2 of the guys named in East Freo's best turned the ball over, costing goals and didn't look sure attacking the ball, but they must have got more stats.:rolleyes: Good game and I was thinking, surely this guy gets a look in at some stage? :thumbsu:

Yep, I'd echo that sentiment oz. Was switched forward in the last quarter where he kicked a brilliant, no look 45m snap. When down back he attacked the ball, was sure with his handling when others weren't, just looked good with ball in hand. Better game than the stats reflect (if you're a stats watcher). 2 of the guys named in East Freo's best turned the ball over, costing goals and didn't look sure attacking the ball, but they must have got more stats.:rolleyes: Good game and I was thinking, surely this guy gets a look in at some stage? :thumbsu:

At least he could handball to team mate rather than in-between them to a souths player! Worst handballing I've seen all season!

At least he could handball to team mate rather than in-between them to a souths player! Worst handballing I've seen all season!

Who did that? I thought East Freo was let down a bit by the attack on the ball of a certain couple of players, who could've gone harder at the ball but elected to wait for the Souths player to get it and then couldn't stop them disposing of it.

Didn't see Bucovaz put a foot wrong, I didn't think anyway.

Who did that? I thought East Freo was let down a bit by the attack on the ball of a certain couple of players, who could've gone harder at the ball but elected to wait for the Souths player to get it and then couldn't stop them disposing of it.

Didn't see Bucovaz put a foot wrong, I didn't think anyway.

You missed my point. Buco was fine! Those around him however, were not so good.

The number of times I saw East Freo players handball to players feet, handball over players heads or just go straight to a souths player. It was driving us mental all day. I was nearly chewing bits out of the wall I was leaning on.

You missed my point. Buco was fine! Those around him however, were not so good.

The number of times I saw East Freo players handball to players feet, handball over players heads or just go straight to a souths player. It was driving us mental all day. I was nearly chewing bits out of the wall I was leaning on.

Ah yes, I thought you thought I was having a go at Buco. I still reckon a few of those handballs to certain players, could have been contested harder. Yes, they were over their heads but I remember one of them, in the last, running towards it very meekly and letting Head? look like a strong man. :eek:

yaka, I thought Buco looked one of the surest down back for East Freo. As I stated earlier, I think some of the disposal was made to look worse because a full commitment was not made towards the ball.

South Freo also turned the ball over, with Adams giving it straight to BOB for a goal. In fact, I reckon East Freo got 3 of their first 5 goals from Souths turnovers.

Tried to keep my eye on Bucovaz, but had the sun to contend with.From what I saw will get elevated soon.Looks like he can play forward and back.
Johnson's position in the team may have some competition, Last year having only one ruckmen probably helped Johnson.
From the other games stats it should make the selection table interesting.
Mellington, Anthony, Bucovaz at least know how to play as forwards, which makes you wonder what Palmer is doing there.

Was at the Barlow comeback game on saturday.
Hinkley for me would be 1st in line for a call up against Essendon. Although it was only at reserves level he looked/played the same style of footy as when he was drafted (quick, breaking the lines type footy). Granted sometimes he may miss targets by foot but did not half of our Freo side butcher the ball at some stage against Hawthorn?

Barlow is just a pure ball magnet. He won't get the call up, not yet. Needs to play a full game and get the confidence back in his leg (still has a very noticeable limp and wasn't involved in too many 'rough' plays. Can't wait for the day he puts on the purple uniform again.

Bollenhagen showed some signs I haven't seen in his game before. In the last quarter the game was all but over, the ball was kicked over his head and he ran back with the flight took the mark and took the bodies coming at him. He kicked a classy goal in the 3rd and looked lively around stoppages. Maybe the last 5 weeks for him on the sidelines has given him some hunger.

Barlow is just a pure ball magnet. He won't get the call up, not yet. Needs to play a full game and get the confidence back in his leg (still has a very noticeable limp and wasn't involved in too many 'rough' plays. Can't wait for the day he puts on the purple uniform again.

It's not a limp. He's always run like that. Do you think they'd have him running around with a limp?

it is a limp. after his game one of the fitness staff was with him as i overheard them talking about his game. He gave Michael a pat on the back and said that his limp is getting a lot better. And yes i know he has always ran like some sort of wombat but would it be paramount for the team for Michael to come back not ready? I don't think any of his team mates would want him to come back premature

Bollenhagen showed some signs I haven't seen in his game before. In the last quarter the game was all but over, the ball was kicked over his head and he ran back with the flight took the mark and took the bodies coming at him. He kicked a classy goal in the 3rd and looked lively around stoppages. Maybe the last 5 weeks for him on the sidelines has given him some hunger.

The forgotten man on the Fremantle BF board. Then again, maybe his name is just easier to put down as 'etc' when talking about our young players.

Remove this Banner Ad

WAFL Watch 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Back