Wallace - So this is Christmas and what have we done? (RFC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bentleigh

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Aug 15, 2004
Bentleigh-esque
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richard Tambling
////
So this is Christmas and what have we done?
4:41:04 PM Mon 19 December, 2005
Richmond coach Terry Wallace
richmondfc.com.au
The focus in our final week of pre-Christmas training is on fitness testing.

Overall, we are measuring how the players have handled themselves through this first phase of the pre-season program.

With our list now finalised, we have all players who will represent the club during the 2006 season in full training.

From a playing list perspective, some Tiger supporters may be disappointed that we did not attract any big name players to our club in the off-season. But I am of the firm belief that pathway has been taken too often in the past, and, generally, proven to be unsuccessful.

My aim is to have faith in our recruiting department and, through the drafting system, to develop the next generation of champion Richmond players from scratch. Players who start their careers wearing the Yellow and Black, and have real pride in the guernsey, can enjoy a 10-year-plus career.

Looking at our draft selections, it is obvious over the past two years that we have gone for genuine leg speed through the middle of the ground. The game is moving that way and we must adjust accordingly.

Over the course of the last two National Drafts and this year’s Rookie Draft, we have also managed to pick up key-position players in Adam Pattison and Cleve Hughes, as well as a developing ruckman in Angus Graham.

We are well aware that our backline is ageing and will need some cosmetic surgery over the next few years. While I would have loved to have found a key defender in this year’s National, Pre-season, or Rookie Drafts, we are not going to waste a pick, or miss the opportunity to bring another class player to the Club, by selecting a sub-standard defensive option based on needs. Rest assured, however, that this will be high on our list of priorities over the next 12 months.

Each year you have some stand-out performers over the pre-season. Some players excel at this time because of their strong aerobic capacity. Others can take a quantum leap during this period, which can help their football immeasurably. Chris Newman was one player who really stood up for us last summer and, consequently, his on-field performance took a significant step forwards.

The stand-out improver during this pre-season has been Ray Hall. His work levels have been much higher and I am hoping he can gain on-field consistency from all the effort he has put in (providing he can continue maintain this after the Christmas break).

Jay Schulz and Kelvin Moore did a considerable amount of work during their time off, before coming back into the Club’s official pre-season program. They both have benefited considerably from this and, at this rate, should have senior opportunities come their way early next year.

Troy Simmonds has trimmed down and added a little more athleticism to his game through sheer hard work over the pre-season.

Of the younger brigade, I have been extremely pleased with Dean Limbach. Just over 12 months ago, he came to us well underdone and at times was non-competitive in his attempts to compete with the group. But after a year of hard work, he has put on 11kg and now works as hard as any player on the track. He is giving himself every chance to succeed and, as a coach, that is all I could ever ask for.

Many other players on the list have shown improvement as well, which is the nature of the competition. If you do not increase your efforts by at least 15% each year, you will be left behind.

The pre-Christmas phase of training is very similar to building a house. It is during this period where you lay the solid foundations, which is something most of our list has been able to achieve this year.

After the break, you gain some idea of how the structure is taking place. For us, that will be all the work done in the lead-up to our first NAB Cup match against Hawthorn on Saturday, February 25.

On behalf of the playing group, coaching staff and all members of the football division, I would like to wish all our supporters a very Merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

We look forward to having your support once again in 2006 . . .

I read this last night. Great to hear that Limbach has been putting in. You'd like to think that even if the guys we draft aren't good enough, its not through lack of work that they end up getting the chop. Schulz and Moore doing extra work is also very good news.

Very pleased to hear that about Shulzy. Just get the feeling that even though it turned out for the best, he wants to repay the club back for his indiscretion last year. Seems he may be getting his head right about this AFL caper, and realises than only all-out efforts are the ones rewarded.

duckboy said:
I read this last night. Great to hear that Limbach has been putting in. You'd like to think that even if the guys we draft aren't good enough, its not through lack of work that they end up getting the chop. Schulz and Moore doing extra work is also very good news.
Having a bloke like Limbach come on from where he was drafted would be a huge bonus for our club

YEs this is awesome to hear about shulzy and hall - i think hall will have his best season of his career next year and maybe all australian but the best news to come out of that article was Dean Limbach if he gets a game i will be over the moon and i hope if he keeps working hard terry does give him a game would be great if he could turn out to be a good player.

The question is where is Hall going to be played though? All the talk (again) is that Schulz will be given CHB, and with the style of play we are going for it's unlikely there'd be a place in the backline for Hall with Gaspar, Kellaway, Bowden and possibly Thursfield there. So is he a tall wingman, or a forward, or will he be used off the bench as a utility?

jezza said:
The question is where is Hall going to be played though? All the talk (again) is that Schulz will be given CHB, and with the style of play we are going for it's unlikely there'd be a place in the backline for Hall with Gaspar, Kellaway, Bowden and possibly Thursfield there. So is he a tall wingman, or a forward, or will he be used off the bench as a utility?

Maybe one of AK or Gas will start to wind down?

Schultz = CHB
Hall = 3rd tall

Hall wont play well as a wing/forward.

jezza said:
He played well as more of a Tall Wingman against the hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Wallace - So this is Christmas and what have we done? (RFC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back