WANM media release 19th November 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

I have to disagree there royal blue.

If you buy memberships nowyou are showing you will support em either way.

Hold out,wait until Gold Coast has been COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY REJECTED and then LOAD UP on memberships.
Yeah, because a strong message to the football public that people are jumping on board when this club is under seige is not what we want.

I respectfully, but vehemently, disagree.

Member voting rights should be the crowning achievement of the new, exciting football club leadership we all hope take the club to the next level. But if we don't get there, it's all a bit futile, isn't it?

Don't get me wrong - I don't give a shit about members rights in the short term and only care about saying no. I also don't expect the members to have any say in a December 1 decision.

But I suspect the WANM strategy could be to keep the member vote issue alive in the lead up to this final decision so that if the final decision is relocation, they can say that despite constant requests for member consultation the members were ignored through the whole process - and launch the next fight from there.

I do agree that this can't be the sole or main focus from here on in though, and there should be strong WANM support for Brayshaw's plan when it is released - and the stance that there is no longer a choice as we have a viable plan for survival in melbourne.

I am not making this up. This is genuinely up for consideration. Remember, the AFL altered their original statement on the timeline to say that we had 30 within which to remove the GC from consideration, otherwise we could leave it on the table for discussion. And suddenly all of the talk is about the time needed to make the right decision. And suddenly consultation of members is right on the agenda.

I know you wouldn't make it up, and I don't trust the AFL or the pro-GCers with any of this it just seems extreme to think that it could go that far after all the ultimatums and extensions and media this has received.

But I get your point and if were to happen it would kill us. I hope you keep the people you need to informed on this kind of talk so they know which way to move.

I believe in a members' run club as fervently as WANM, and I love what they have acheived. But I would hate this to be the Trojan horse which is used in the AFL's final assault on the club.

Yep. As I said above, getting a member vote does not concern me at all on this issue unless it is going to stop relocation. I read it as WANm pre-empting a counter attack, but if it is having the effect you have outlined above, they should re-consider their strategy.

We probably should stop talking about it now as it may be a. exposing possible WANM strategy or b. giving pro gold coast assholes ideas.

Feel free to delete anything mods.

I know you wouldn't make it up, and I don't trust the AFL or the pro-GCers with any of this it just seems extreme to think that it could go that far after all the ultimatums and extensions and media this has received.

Firstly, if either faction is intent on getting their way, they will go down this path, its an obvious one and cannot fail in terms of public opinion.
Because why the board may be the ones making the decisions, and the shareholders the ones with the 'power' the Kangaroos are just like any other club.. Nothing without their supporters.

Secondly, if the Kangaroos board say to the AFL, well.. we have decided to let the members decide, they will extend the deadline because
A> it works to their advantage, and
B> cannot fail in terms of public opinion..

5 years down the track if relocated no1 could blame the AFL, they would say well the members voted to relocate.

But this is all dependant on just how PRO GC, the PRO GC'ers are. If they are open to options in Melbourne this may not occur, but i have no idea.. you guys would know better then that.

But this is all dependant on just how PRO GC, the PRO GC'ers are. If they are open to options in Melbourne this may not occur, but i have no idea.. you guys would know better then that.

We seem to have one or two people who are neurotically incapable of acknowledging that their extended grip on power at the club has led us to this appalling position and that maybe, just maybe they are in some way responsible. They also appear loathe to allow anyone else the chance to pull us out of this mess as it would expose their failings. So that's to say we have one diabolical director and one club legend and one power broker with way too much ego invested in a relocation.

Hopefully the remaining GC oriented board members will realise they are now swimming upstream and they can either get on board the pro-Melbourne movement or lose thier footy club. And wouldn't that be ironic?

We seem to have one or two people who are neurotically incapable of acknowledging that their extended grip on power at the club has led us to this appalling position and that maybe, just maybe they are in some way responsible. They also appear loathe to allow anyone else the chance to pull us out of this mess as it would expose their failings. So that's to say we have one diabolical director and one club legend and one power broker with way too much ego invested in a relocation.

Hopefully the remaining GC oriented board members will realise they are now swimming upstream and they can either get on board the pro-Melbourne movement or lose thier footy club. And wouldn't that be ironic?

Theres 8 board members right?, Howmany would you need 1 way or another for a definative decision?, i would think 6-2... i don't think 5-3 will cut it without it escalating to a member vote.

We do have a voice, the members elected the Brayshaws and Joseph, they represent what is the common supporter's feel and that is to stay here in Melbourne.

There is no reason to delay the vote.

In fact, there is no reason for a vote whatsoever, if there is a plan, any plan, which has us viable here in Melbourne then there is no decision to be made because it should be the only course of action. It doesn't matter if the GC offer makes more money or makes life a little easier. If I wanted to follow a club that makes money but can't win a premiership I would follow Collingwood.

There is more uncertainty with moving. We know we have hundreds of thousands of supporters currently, we had 22k members and 9k that didn't renew, many didn't because of the relocation issue. While people see what we have as the glass being half empty, I see it as being half full. We only need a 30-35k stable membership base. We are not that far off and had good consistent growth pre GC garbage.

It is a good time to be reborn and take what we have here and build the right image for the club, be the North Melbourne Football Club. Be proud of our name, proud of our tradition, our heritage, our supporters. Start to believe in Melbourne and in the people of Melbourne and Australia. We have supporters all over the country that feel our club would lose it's heart and soul if it sold out for fools gold up north.

There is no decision to be made and I am sure De Rauch, Ansett and the rest of the shareholders will see the only way we have control over our club, our future, is to hold on to our own club. The clubs that have faced adversity but lacked the courage to fight are nothing more than a footnote in the AFL history books, those that have risen to the challenge have all gone on to a bigger, better, brighter future.

I respectfully, but vehemently, disagree.

So do I. At such a precarious juncture as this, it would seem like a pretty dangerous line to push. To echo the comments of some previous posters, it appears to play right into the hands of the AFL, who could only possibly stand to benefit from the sort of delay that a members vote would bring about. And as has been (rightly) pointed out, such a delay would not only cripple the club, but it also provides far too much potential for the process to be corrupted and/or stacked.

Member voting rights should be the crowning achievement of the new, exciting football club leadership we all hope take the club to the next level. But if we don't get there, it's all a bit futile, isn't it?

To quote The Other Fonzie......exactamundo.

No, ****, **** this is amazingly short sighted. My god.

I agree with Asterix.

Boycotting memberships until a decision is handed down is depressingly short-sighted. Now is not the time for personal statements. It simply undermines the greater good and diminshes the club's position. It is nothing more than further fuel for Vlad's bonfire.

Bottom line - the positive message that a healthy 2008 membership number sends, far outweighs any negative spin that the PR weasels down at AFL House manage to come up with.

Maybe its time :

1/ for these pro-gc board directors to tell everyone why they are so pro-gc and which directors are for the GC, and indeed why they were pro-gc long before the AFL deal hit the table on Friday ?
2/ for the first time in their capacity as NMFC Board directors to show some balls and accountability and tell the members and shareholders their reasoning for being so pro-gc.
3/ to tell everyone why Archer is not on the board as yet, when we were told by Archer 3-4 weeks ago that he would be on the board within a fortnight.

IBottom line - the positive message that a healthy 2008 membership number sends, far outweighs any negative spin that the PR weasels down at AFL House manage to come up with.

Couldn't agree more.

And I'll also say that in my view the benefits of having an ongoing voice insisting publicly and privately that NMFC members care deeply about both the immediate decision to keep the club in Melbourne and long term its ongoing healthy administration, far outweigh any potential negative spin that anyone at the AFL or on the board might want to put on it.

btw you can trust that Horace will blow WANM up from the inside before it's allowed to be a Trojan horse for pro-relocationists. And he won't be alone. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North supporters SHOULD NOT renew or buy memberships until the Gold Coast idea has been axed

Bullshit.

It's this slack, bullshit attitude as to why the AFL are just sitting back and waiting for the crumbling to start in the first place. You don't wait. The 2008 memberships aren't going to a relocated club, that won't be relocating anyway. Fcuk me, some clubs already have 15,000 members. The ****ing Bulldogs already have 9,000. We have 1500. Auto renewal, GC issue or not, that is a ****ing disgrace. This club has far too many ******** supporters.

Bullshit.

It's this slack, bullshit attitude as to why the AFL are just sitting back and waiting for the crumbling to start in the first place. You don't wait. The 2008 memberships aren't going to a relocated club, that won't be relocating anyway. Fcuk me, some clubs already have 15,000 members. The ****ing Bulldogs already have 9,000. We have 1500. Auto renewal, GC issue or not, that is a ****ing disgrace. This club has far too many ******** supporters.

anyone know the actual figures of all clubs?

All WANM media releases are avaliable here:

http://www.wearenorthmelbourne.com.au/mediareleases.php

If you go back through them you can see we have called for the impass to end now, we have also backed JB publicly (and in addition to the media releases I have stated on radio several times in the past few days that we have been briefed by JB and are excited by his plan), and stated that members must have a say on any change to the status quo (i.e. relocation).

It mightn't come to that and I won't outline our strategies in a public forum. But rest assured we read BF and take note of your suggestions to make sure we have considered every angle. Take comfort in knowing that BF is pretty representative of discussions happening within WANM. But if you feel passionately enough about the direction of WANM and want to have a say, get involved.

I haven't clicked on this thread for a few days, and was very surprised to find this 3-6 months delay option.

Surey not. If the majority of shareholders do want to give JB the chance to run with his plan, there must be a way to remove the others from the board. EGM needs to be called asap and all board positions spilled. Surely we can get rid of at least one or two of the Pro GC member that way.

I haven't clicked on this thread for a few days, and was very surprised to find this 3-6 months delay option.

Surey not. If the majority of shareholders do want to give JB the chance to run with his plan, there must be a way to remove the others from the board. EGM needs to be called asap and all board positions spilled. Surely we can get rid of at least one or two of the Pro GC member that way.

The best way to do that would be to put the other Brayshaw and Joseph plus De Rauch as shareholder representatives and put Archer, Ponting and JB to run for member elect positions. Good luck to any of the arseclowns beating any of those for a member elect position.

Bullshit.

Whoa.

How about this? I can't really afford to buy our memberships before Christmas. To do so, I will have to do a lot of sacrificing and re-organising. It will cost me other opportunities and seriously dent my December spending.

I will NOT make these sacrifices for a club that no longer needs the money because it has had "its" future secured by the AFL.

If JB's plan gets up, I will go without whatever I have to and get 4 memberships the next day.

If we sell out, then I may buy 3 (assuming my kids are still interested), and it won't be until the start of the season when I can actually afford it.

If that makes me a shortsighted ****ing disgrace ******** supporter in the eyes of some here, I'll have to wear it. But I am not putting myself out on a financial limb for the Gold Coast Sharka****ingroos.

Whoa.

How about this? I can't really afford to buy our memberships before Christmas. To do so, I will have to do a lot of sacrificing and re-organising. It will cost me other opportunities and seriously dent my December spending.
Every club has supporters that have the same issues and my post wasn't directed at those that couldn't afford, just those using pisspoor excuses.
I will NOT make these sacrifices for a club that no longer needs the money because it has had "its" future secured by the AFL.
Which club is that? Certainly none that I'm aware of in 2008.
If JB's plan gets up, I will go without whatever I have to and get 4 memberships the next day.
If you're unable to afford it thats fair enough. But this wait and see philosophy has no substance. The idea is to make a statement NOW, and not stare at our feet and wait until someone comes up with a grand plan. That is half the trouble with this clubs supporters.
If we sell out, then I may buy 3 (assuming my kids are still interested), and it won't be until the start of the season when I can actually afford it.
If we sell out the club will have as much relevance to me as a Yamaha JV30.

Remove this Banner Ad

WANM media release 19th November 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Back