Warney is open for Ashes comeback

Remove this Banner Ad

Warne couldn't bowl out a lesser side in the 2005, what makes him think he could have bowled out SA in 2012?
Ummm...??? Warne very nearly did bowl out England on his own in 2005, 40 wickets and MOTS.. he was immense. Probably the best I've ever seen him bowl. Just because we didn't win the series doesn't mean Warne was incapable!!

I think a comeback would end badly for him now, he retired too early, but I think the aura and durability would be gone and he'd tarnish his reputation slightly, would still be cool though.

Whilst an interesting idea not sure its in the best interest of Australian cricket do so. That said if Lyon were to get a long term injury it would be worth considering as we really don't have another front line spinner in the country at the moment, I personally believe that Clarke is just about the next best spinner we have after Lyon which is a major worry.

Our inability to knock over South Africa when we had them on the ropes here in Adelaide highlights just how desperately we need a strike spin bowler who's even half as good as Warne was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thing is Warne performing at 50% is probably better than anything else we've got. We wouldn't have lost the Adelaide test if Warne were playing

hes still our best. not a problem. in england the poms would cheer him. liz would have him safe in bed early at night.

he fitter than ever, slimmer than ever, has never stopped playing, and would love one more crack against the poms 'in england', on the pitches he knows so well. the crowd wouldnt know who to cheers for, they love him so much!

im praying he will get the nod!

Won't happen and a bit harsh to Lyon.

Would still be great if he played a bunch of Shield games and actually proved he was still up to it.

mate, its been harsh on the last 13 spinners weve had since warne. at least this time.....wed have warne....

make of this what you will...

Clarke feels that Warne understands English conditions pretty well because of his county cricket experience. The middle-order batsman revealed that he is never shy to take input from the great leg-spinner.
"Warne's knowledge of the game is unrivalled. I've been learning a lot from Warne about England since he captained Hampshire. Tactically, he is as good as anyone I have played with. I am very lucky for his help and guidance. He will always give me honesty," stated Clarke.
Warne is often regarded as ‘the best captain Australia never had’ because of his ability to read the different situations quite efficiently. The Aussie also led Rajasthan Royals to the title triumph in the Indian Premier League’s (IPL) inaugural season.
The former cricketer has done a lot of commentary for Sky Sports in the recent times, which means that he knows the strengths and weaknesses of the English players and can significantly help Clarke.
"The key for me is that he knows English conditions and players so well. He gets as close to England's best players as anyone in his role as a commentator. This is useful both for this series and the Ashes," he added.
http://blogs.bettor.com/Michael-Cla...-before-the-Ashes-Cricket-News-Update-a167864

Our inability to knock over South Africa when we had them on the ropes here in Adelaide highlights just how desperately we need a strike spin bowler who's even half as good as Warne was.

Having Pattinson available to bowl that day would have helped.

Having Pattinson available to bowl that day would have helped.

So would having a bowler who can bowl for most of the day whilst continually applying pressure without running themselves into the ground.

We're here to win. If he wants to play and he's fit and shown somehow he's in some form then you pick him. At 43 he's still miles head of out next best.

With the Ashes, you're there to win, not to develop or be fair on the next bloke, and do it the best way you can. Although he just tweeted that he "could", not necesarily "would".

Pattinson
Cummins
Siddle/Harris
Warne
Watson

Sounds good.

Not so bad if we lose the first series (like to win though), as long as we win the 2nd series so we hold them for a few years. Good we have the 2nd series at home.

Warne couldn't bowl out a lesser side in the 2005, what makes him think he could have bowled out SA in 2012?

Easy answer - ego. He's always put himself first, no matter what. He was a great bowler, but everyone gets old and he absolutely doesn't want to face that reality. I'm guessing he's raising this to generate some money for his next round of plastic surgery.

It's actually quite pathetic. Funny how Australia used to pride itself on picking youth, doesn't happen anymore.

Easy answer - ego. He's always put himself first, no matter what. He was a great bowler, but everyone gets old and he absolutely doesn't want to face that reality..

hes not a boxer. so many more skills are needed to be active at 40 in boxing.so at 43 age is not an impediment as it would be for a boxer coming back against world class opposition.

he is just a spin bowler, that only needs to have retained most of his spin. he has proven his fitness, he'll always have his cricket brain. he may not be a 1st slip fielder anymore as his reflexes...just like the boxers, may...may, have slipped. but essentially, he is still warnie, a bit older, wiser, and i'll bet just a fierce in battle.

2 ashes series in a row...dont you think that gets his juices flowing? one in 'her' country. one in 'his'? you are retired for a long time. two more ashes series on offer.....will he? does he mean it? i'll bet my ass he does!!

as long as his fingers arent arthritic, and id suggest at 43 they arent yet (may nevr be) then he's fine to play. a bit of match practice boling some long spells wouldnt go astray, just the same...

Remove this Banner Ad

Warney is open for Ashes comeback

Remove this Banner Ad

Back