Warney is open for Ashes comeback

Remove this Banner Ad

We're here to win. If he wants to play and he's fit and shown somehow he's in some form then you pick him. At 43 he's still miles head of out next best.

With the Ashes, you're there to win, not to develop or be fair on the next bloke, and do it the best way you can. Although he just tweeted that he "could", not necesarily "would".

Pattinson
Cummins
Siddle/Harris
Warne
Watson

Sounds good.

Not so bad if we lose the first series (like to win though), as long as we win the 2nd series so we hold them for a few years. Good we have the 2nd series at home.
cummins won't be playing in the ashes

As much as I'd love this to happen it won't. This comes up every time we can't take 20 wickets or the ashes are around the corner.

He'd be handy, such a clever cricketer and he's still better than anything else we have. I mean, we carried dead eye Ponting for three years becasuse of his positive influence in the dressing room.

Without doubt one of the best bowlers ever, but the ego of the man is astounding. bleached, Botoxed, spray-tanned joke. The insults aside, we need to give present players an opportunity rather than past players who have had it all, done it all and want back in only for themselves.

nasser hussain commenting....

http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...and-in-the-ashes/story-fndpt0dy-1226530000185
Hussain said if Warne was serious it would be up to him to make the next move, not Clarke.
"If Shane Warne makes his comeback in the first Test at Trent Bridge on July 10, you have to say it would be great for the Ashes," Hussain said.

"Warne is the greatest cricketer I ever played against, and he has never been anything less than absolutely box-office.

"Australia have tried 12 Test spinners since he quit at the end of the 2006-07 Ashes, and you know he'd get stuck in.

"He's fitter than he used to be and he hasn't lost that competitive edge. He wouldn't struggle with the mental side, either.

"If a mere mortal like me was thinking about a Test return in my 40s, I'd be worried about making a fool of myself."

i'd be too worried his comeback would be like tony lockett's

don't do it shane

warnie is younger than former leggie clarrie grimmett when he played for australia...and ill bet warnie is in a whole heap better nic..

Warne's fellow Aussie leggie Clarrie Grimmett was 44 and 69 days when he took on South Africa in the fifth Test in Durban in 1936, and he showed age was no hindrance, taking 13 wickets for the match as Australia won by an innings and six runs.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricke...return-for-ashes/story-fndpt0dy-1226530343981

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Warne is so intent on helping out, why doesn't he just mentor Lyon? Seriously, who better is there to learn from for Lyon?

As much as I love Warney, his time has passed.
very good point here. i'd have him as a bowling coach or mentor. could even be a candidate for head coach after micky arthur?

bit silly making a comparison with charlie grimmett. he played in a completely different era. it wasn't uncommon to play into your 40's back then

warnie is younger than former leggie clarrie grimmett when he played for australia...and ill bet warnie is in a whole heap better nic..
South Africa were rubbish in those days. We won the five test series 4-0, with three of them by an innings. Bob Menzies probably could have taken six wickets against that team.

hes not a boxer. so many more skills are needed to be active at 40 in boxing.so at 43 age is not an impediment as it would be for a boxer coming back against world class opposition.

he is just a spin bowler, that only needs to have retained most of his spin. he has proven his fitness, he'll always have his cricket brain. he may not be a 1st slip fielder anymore as his reflexes...just like the boxers, may...may, have slipped. but essentially, he is still warnie, a bit older, wiser, and i'll bet just a fierce in battle.

2 ashes series in a row...dont you think that gets his juices flowing? one in 'her' country. one in 'his'? you are retired for a long time. two more ashes series on offer.....will he? does he mean it? i'll bet my arse he does!!

as long as his fingers arent arthritic, and id suggest at 43 they arent yet (may nevr be) then he's fine to play. a bit of match practice boling some long spells wouldnt go astray, just the same...

So if he can't field at 1st slip anymore, as he reflexes WILL have slipped (not might have, they definitely have), where does he field? He becomes a colossal weakness that will leak runs. Are you saying he's allowed to be picked because he has a wife who lives in the UK? Who cares, it's completely irrelevant.

Fact 1 - He's too old, and has spent far too long out of the game.
Fact 2 - Even considering him insults every first class cricketer in Australia - all of whom actually have to do these arduous tasks like training and playing all year around to get test selection.
Fact 3 - I don't care if "you are retired for a long time". He is retired now, and it should stay that way or he will only further embarrass himself.

The last sentence of yours is the critical one. He's not going to put himself through long spells of match practice. He wants to pick and choose when he gets to play. Not going to happen.

I'd hadly describe any of those statements as FACTS - they look like opinions to me! :)

Do you honestly believe that a bloke who hasn't played a real cricket game in nearly 5 years would have the fitness to get through 10 ashes test matches in 6 months?

Look at how our bowlers break down all the time. How is Warney going to take the next step?

For the people still buying this shit, check his twitter.

So it's exactly the same as the Hun story about Ablett Jr last week.Nuffy journo asks "Could they [Ablett/Warne] return" and get's an answer of yes,so it gets turned into "Ablett / Warne to return"

The shithouse media these days beat up anything.

As others have already said it will never happen. Merely getting publicity for the Big Bash League and himself.

Because the amateur days of the 1930s are really comparable to now.

Don't do it Shane, there was something magical about you and Pigeon retiring together.

Remove this Banner Ad

Warney is open for Ashes comeback

Remove this Banner Ad

Back