Was Buckley's 'greatness' at the Pies over-inflated because they couldn't produce anyone even close?

Remove this Banner Ad

DavoMuir'sShirtfront

Senior List
Suspended
May 15, 2007
Cottesloe
AFL Club
West Coast
First of all.......He was a magnificent player. End of Story.

My point is that his contempories at other clubs like messrs Ricciuto, Voss and Harvey etc all had at least another 'champion' in their side in a similar position to contend with for the mantle.

Voss had Black and Aker, to name a few.

Ricciuto had Mcleod.

Harvey had Burke.

Cousins had Judd/has Kerr.

Buckley.....Licuria?

Re: Was Buckley's 'greatness' at the Pies over-inflated because they couldn't produce anyone even cl

I think you summed it up yourself.

Re: Was Buckley's 'greatness' at the Pies over-inflated because they couldn't produce anyone even cl

My point is that his contempories at other clubs like messrs Ricciuto, Voss and Harvey etc all had at least another 'champion' in their side in a similar position to contend with for the mantle.

Voss had Black and Aker, to name a few.

Ricciuto had Mcleod.

Harvey had Burke.

Cousins had Judd/has Kerr.

Buckley.....Licuria?

No.

This has been another edition of simple answers to stupid questions.

shouldnt that make the life of the likes of Voss Harvey Hird etc much easier shouldnt they ahve dominated even more given teh fact they had these players?

you make your own luck in footy.

hird voss bucks all champs

nathan buckley doesnt deserve to be named with the likes of voss.ricciuto,harvey etc

never has a player who hasnt played in a premiership been sooooooooo overated

Probably.

It's a bit like the argument ... should Harvey have kicked more goals because he's played with a guy for 15 out of his 21 seasons whose finished T8 in the Coleman Medal?

Buckley has been the best player at the biggest and most high profile club for a decade. That is going to inflate anyone's reputation, whether they are a good or bad player.

nathan buckley doesnt deserve to be named with the likes of voss.ricciuto,harvey etc

If you ever post an intelligent comment, I'd probably keel over and die out of sheer surprise.

I feel pretty safe, however.

Probably.

It's a bit like the argument ... should Harvey have kicked more goals because he's played with a guy for 15 out of his 21 seasons whose finished T8 in the Coleman Medal?

Buckley has been the best player at the biggest and most high profile club for a decade. That is going to inflate anyone's reputation, whether they are a good or bad player.

Talk about get everything completely bassackward! His quality is enhanced by the fact that he did it tough in an untalented team for so many years. He never had the luxury of being surrounded by champions like Voss (Lappin, Black, Brown, Akermanis...) or Harvey (Lockett, Loewe, Winmar, Burke...).

If Buckley got more praise because he didn't have star teammates to take the focus off him, he deserved it because he never had star teammates to do the heavy lifting on the field either.

The churlishness expressed by many posters on BF toward Buckley shouldn't be surprising, I guess. But it's still disappointing.

Outstanding player and a big loss to the game alongside all the other retirees this year.

But ****ing annoying when he gets on The Footy Show every second week and bores the shit out of me because he hasn't got any character.
Hopefully they won't use him any more.

Give me Billy, Crawf, Fev and the other comedians any day because they're what the show is about - a light hearted show which takes the piss, gets laughs, but still tells you everything you need to know.
Although Crawf does deserve a smack in the mouth from Sammy. :cool:

So why should Harvey be in that list since he hasnt won a flag?

Paul Williams was a fair player...

you idiot

your reflex action to snipe at anything collingwood just tripped you up

Robert Harvey/Nathan Buckley spot the difference..........:rolleyes:

I dont think so. The guy was destined to be a champion no matter what club he played for.

I feel honoured to have seen closely from 1991 when he burst onto the scene in the second half of the season for Port Adelaide. His 1992 season was up there with the best individual seasons ive seen from a Port Adelaide player at SANFL level (or any player for that matter). Pure domination and won the Magarey by a mile, won the Jack Oatey Medal for BOG in the Grand Final and won a Premiership medal. He had an outstanding first season in 1993 at the Bears and has been a career long champion at the Magpies.

One of my all time favourite players. Champion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never liked Buckley much to start with. Richmond had a pretty good run against Collingwood in the 90's and Duncan Kellaway nearly always beat him. There was always the Figjam factor, but did anyone know if that was really true? But, about half way through his career I started to appreciate him alot more. He topped it off for me when he won the Norm Smith in a losing side and very nearly carried an inferior team to grand final glory. He was abit too earnest early in his career but lightened up alot more in the last few years to really show his personality. He has been a great player, and if people can get over their dislike of Collingwood (it was hard for me), surely they will recognise that.:thumbsu::thumbsu:

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if he had stayed at Brisbane and had to compete with Voss. Buckley is very strong willed and driven and it would have been hard for him to be in a team where he wasn't the sole focus.

He'd be a great player wherever he played though.

Talk about get everything completely bassackward! His quality is enhanced by the fact that he did it tough in an untalented team for so many years. He never had the luxury of being surrounded by champions like Voss (Lappin, Black, Brown, Akermanis...) or Harvey (Lockett, Loewe, Winmar, Burke...).

If Buckley got more praise because he didn't have star teammates to take the focus off him, he deserved it because he never had star teammates to do the heavy lifting on the field either.

The churlishness expressed by many posters on BF toward Buckley shouldn't be surprising, I guess. But it's still disappointing.

The flipside is that it is much easier to stand out in a poor team if you are a good player.

And so we go around in circles ...

also if he was the only good player in our side it meaned he would hav got more attention from other players where as voss and hird had other players who could take the pressure off them, im not saying that hird and voss werent good they were champions but they had players who could take the pressure off.
Also buckley had gavin brown from the years 1994-1999 at collingwood and he was a great player at collingwood

He would have been a great player, which ever team he played for, but i get your point.

Bucks was the premier player at Collingwood for nearly his entire career, so his status as a Collingwood legend has no doubt been enhanced, but I wouln't say over-inflated. Pies supporters basically watched this guy excell week in week out for 13 years, without much challenge as the best at the club. It's got to have had some influence on the esteem with which the club holds him.

When others clubs might talk about greats from an era its:

Hawthorn - Brereton, Dunstall, Dippa, Platten.............
Carlton - Bradley, Kernahan, Silvagni, Williams
Brisbane - Voss, Acker, Black

Whereas at Collingwood, there is only one that stands that tall......... Nathan Buckley.

Interesting call. Buckley always reminded me of Ivan Lendl and Mats Wilander. Wonderful players, but they just never did anything for me. Not saying that Buckley was as boring as those two, but I wouldn't be paying to go see him specifically. For me, someone like Phil Carman with all his flaws was magical for me. He was out there, which Buckley never really was.

Interesting call. Buckley always reminded me of Ivan Lendl and Mats Wilander. Wonderful players, but they just never did anything for me. Not saying that Buckley was as boring as those two, but I wouldn't be paying to go see him specifically. For me, someone like Phil Carman with all his flaws was magical for me. He was out there, which Buckley never really was.

I'm the same. I go to games to watch some players - Brown, Hird, Richo, Judd, Gary Abletts (Snr and Jnr), Buddy - as much as I despise him!! - but I wouldn't go just to watch Bucks. Not saying that these guys are all better players just that Bucks never excited me like some others.

Interesting thread title, seeing as the Pies didn't 'produce' Buckley either.

Did they draft any players during the late 90's early 00s? They have a fair few traded players on their books, and a lot of young draftees.

shouldnt that make the life of the likes of Voss Harvey Hird etc much easier shouldnt they ahve dominated even more given teh fact they had these players?

you make your own luck in footy.

hird voss bucks all champs
That argument goes both ways, they also had more competition, personally i think it evens itself out.

I'm the same. I go to games to watch some players - Brown, Hird, Richo, Judd, Gary Abletts (Snr and Jnr), Buddy - as much as I despise him!! - but I wouldn't go just to watch Bucks. Not saying that these guys are all better players just that Bucks never excited me like some others.
IMO then Buckley is under-"inflated" because he isn't an exciting player. Hes a consistent player with an excellent kick who is the soul of the club. Obviously forwards are more interesting to watch and can be very easily overrated

you idiot

your reflex action to snipe at anything collingwood just tripped you up

Robert Harvey/Nathan Buckley spot the difference..........:rolleyes:

An extra Brownlow and universal respect from fans of all clubs.:eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Was Buckley's 'greatness' at the Pies over-inflated because they couldn't produce anyone even close?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back