Was Riewoldt truly concussed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Your friend is no medical expert... if he even exists.

Anyone who has done some basic self-defense training would tell you that a moderate blow to the neck, below and slightly in front of the ear (and guess where Kosi's elbow connected?) will cause muscle spasms and put your opponent out of it for a couple of minutes. A sharper blow will cause actual unconsciousness. Don't believe me?

Point 12 on this page:

http://books.google.com.au/books?id...w#v=onepage&q=head blow muscle spasms&f=false

How does self defense training compare to a neurosurgeons experience with concussion? My opinion on the matter is that he recovered bloody fast after what looked like a serious head injury and someone with expertise validated that opinion. Have no vendetta against Riewoldt at all.

How does self defense training compare to a neurosurgeons experience with concussion? My opinion on the matter is that he recovered bloody fast after what looked like a serious head injury and someone with expertise validated that opinion. Have no vendetta against Riewoldt at all.

The point is that he probably didn't have concussion. See my above post.

Blow to below and slightly in front of the ear will produce disorientation and muscle spasms.

It's not difficult to understand. Especially for a neurosurgeon. /sarcasm

i'm going to disagree.

got had something turn my front wheel on my bike (pushie) last yr and it flipped me up in the air and i landed without forward momentum on my hip, didn't break it*, but spent 8 weeks on crutches and 4 of that in a massive amount of pain.

after i hit the ground, I convulsed for a bit (a lot tbh) from the pain and i didn't hit my head, just a neurological reaction to the pain.

*I did however really smash the muscles, tendons etc in that area. spent 6 weeks in physio. apart from the damage to the muscles etc i had also severely bruised the fat that protects the tendons from the hip joint as they run through that area and every movement was murderous. I was on 2 Nuerofen and 2 Panadol Forte every 4 hrs, with no effect. gave up after a week.

Sweet endo brah.

The point is that he probably didn't have concussion. See my above post.

Blow to below and slightly in front of the ear will produce disorientation and muscle spasms.

It's not difficult to understand. Especially for a neurosurgeon. /sarcasm

Disorientation yes. Involuntarily full body convulsion no. Symantecs

He was practising being scared of Alan Didak next week. Did anyone see that fearsome clash with Ablett? I thought they would both breat out of the wet paper bag.

He was never knocked out as such, he was just stunned for a second. As soon as Kosi helped him up you see the trainer ask him a question and Rooey says "I'm alright." and then he runs off without any hint of wobbly legs.

I've had it before. You see stars for a few seconds but essentially you are fine, if not a little dazed. Nothing to worry about.

I'd agree with Stinger above. And because he was trying to get up at the same time while not having the right mind-body connection, as well as his body being in an awkward position, it made it look worse.

terminator2.jpg

Auxillary battery kicked in! :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Convulsions are brought on by some brain malfunction (be it temporary or permanent) which he didn't have as they are involuntary. His actions were still under partial control of his will ie get your hands up and clunk it suddenly changed with the realisation that he was on the ground and changed to "I must get up". He was slightly concussed and the slow reaction of his brain's commands for his body to get up reflect the brain's precaution in coming out of a concussion. As mentioned previously, Kosi's elbow caused a hard reset and his brain was going through the POST before opening up Windows 95. (Some footballers are running around with DOS in their brain (ie a certain Lions footballer who the Lions don't want to pay anymore) and others are running Linux, like Harry O and his unique outlook, and then you have the Apples who think they are so good but in reality are just overpriced versions of an ordinary footballer).

I cannot describe what I think about this OP. Proof that drugs are bad???

In the heat of the battle in the 3rd quarter of a Prelim final a players gets knocked in the head and on the way down he decides to fake a convulsion so another player will take pity on him.

Can you do everyone a favour and name this neurosurgeon so they never have to be treated by him/her.

Thought he was having a seizure/had a back injury. Looked freaky and serious.

Riewoldt was trying to pull his body up but it wasn't doing what he wanted it to. That's a little different to the systematic neural shut down of a head trauma.

My brief exposure to Neuroscience says that the worst thing in terms of concussion is your head going forward, as it crushes the brainstem (That's was causes you to lose consciousness.) ALthough Riewoldt was hit in the back of the head, his head didn't flip forward violently (as it would in a car crash if you weren't expecting impact) so he didn't get the big KO. He was braced for impact and so spared himself the worst possible.

Should sit out a week just to be safe, if he collapses Grand final day that would be a dagger to the heart of AFL in this country, don't be surprised if AD gives Ross Lyon a call during the week. Safety first is my motto.

Doesnt take much force to knock u a bit senseless at the back of the head or right behind the ear. You dont need any fancy qualifications to see what happened...combination of an elbow clip and landing that shook his head...luckily his head didnt hit the ground or he would've been totally out and we'd be talking seriously about him potentially missing next week.
You also see the effects of having umpteen camera's able to zoom in these days...nothing unusual in his motions either coz common to lose control of limbs for a bit as u want to do something but your brain isnt up to speed to process it. Boxers in particular u often see a glancing blow behind the ear causes knees to wobble and staggering from what looks like an innocuous punch...in knockouts you often see a guy flat on his back with arms and legs outstretched convulsing.
The technical term i believe is " knocked senseless ". Most dangerous i reckon is landing backwards knocking the back of your scone on the turf..you can be in la la land for 10 minutes and dont remember a thing but they tell you later that you seemed fine.

AFL probably wouldnt like that type of footage shown and they usually stay away from closeups of heavy hits and head knocks.

Should sit out a week just to be safe, if he collapses Grand final day that would be a dagger to the heart of AFL in this country, don't be surprised if AD gives Ross Lyon a call during the week. Safety first is my motto.

So are you going to be the one to tell Nick that?

Good luck.

Loving the medical knowledge on this thread.

I'm a medical student and I would never begin to tell you exactly what was happening to Riewoldt, because I have taken no history, performed no examinations and done zero tests. I can tell you that it was probably not purely spinal cord (he seemed to have Upper Motor Neuron signs in both upper and lower limbs, and he had neurological signs in the face -- the cortex my friends). He wasn't merely paralysed, he had myoclonus (the jerking movements), which could be cortical, sub-cortical (think Parkinson's, which affects a system of grey matter called the basal ganglia) or (very rarely) spinal cord.

Essentially, I'm throwing out all this jargon to disguise the fact that I have no bloody idea what happened to Saint Nick, because I have no information other than a few seconds of footage. End this shit thread, it lowers us to the level of Luke Darcy. Let's just take the Robert Walls approach and stick to the facts.

P.S. No self-respecting neurosurgeon would spend more than 3 seconds thinking about whether or not Nick Riewoldt was concussed. Oh, and no self-respecting neurosurgeon would use the term "concussion" -- it is a lay term, only still used in sports medicine. In real medicine, we recognise it as an umbrella term with little practical import.

You cannot be serious. Riewoldt pretended to have concussion to get away from Lake, who he wasn't playing on? Jesus christ what is wrong with some people.

Loving the medical knowledge on this thread.

I'm a medical student and I would never begin to tell you exactly what was happening to Riewoldt, because I have taken no history, performed no examinations and done zero tests. I can tell you that it was probably not purely spinal cord (he seemed to have Upper Motor Neuron signs in both upper and lower limbs, and he had neurological signs in the face -- the cortex my friends). He wasn't merely paralysed, he had myoclonus (the jerking movements), which could be cortical, sub-cortical (think Parkinson's, which affects a system of grey matter called the basal ganglia) or (very rarely) spinal cord.

Essentially, I'm throwing out all this jargon to disguise the fact that I have no bloody idea what happened to Saint Nick, because I have no information other than a few seconds of footage. End this shit thread, it lowers us to the level of Luke Darcy. Let's just take the Robert Walls approach and stick to the facts.

P.S. No self-respecting neurosurgeon would spend more than 3 seconds thinking about whether or not Nick Riewoldt was concussed. Oh, and no self-respecting neurosurgeon would use the term "concussion" -- it is a lay term, only still used in sports medicine. In real medicine, we recognise it as an umbrella term with little practical import.

Sounds serious, wonder if the Saints medicos get him tested thoroughly, and what happens if the head doctor says no play next week?

Remove this Banner Ad

Was Riewoldt truly concussed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back