Play Nice Was that Gaffs last game for WC?

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't want to jump into 'OMG HOW CAN U DEFEND HIM???' territory but Brayshaw's season has 3 games left.

Putting a player out for a number of weeks is unacceptable but 'ended his season' is deliberately emotive language.

It’s what happened though

They're now talking about 12 weeks on the radio today, it's increasing by the minute. Then you have his own state of mind, if he does cop 12 weeks, he can't play until round 6 or 7 next season. He may not recover too well himself after this, he will need a lot of counseling.

Counselling? Are you joking? He will rightly feel like a piece of shit for the next 6 months and that's about it, then will get back to playing footy. His value to the Vic clubs chasing him doesn't fall very much at all. He's also the 3rd most important mid in our team behind Shuey and Yeo. If we have to pay him over a million pa to secure him, I'd almost be inclined to let him leave...almost.

This.

It doesn't exonerate Gaff. It doesn't excuse Gaff. But it frames his actions in the environment that is allowed.

As I've already pointed out Jordan Lewis punched Patrick Cripps and fractured his jaw. Cripps played the following week, Lewis got 3 weeks. Jumper punches, gut punches etc. go unpunished all the time. It's the wrong attitude to offer light penalties for punches (high and otherwise) and then hang the first guy who throws a punch that leads to a broken jaw.

Gaff's punch didn't look that bad but Brayshaw has a broken jaw. If Brayshaw was fine and came back on Gaff would be facing a pretty minor sanction and that's wrong.

It's all academic now of course, but if the AFL had made a statement and given Jones a deserved holiday for his hit on Merrett, then I don't think Gaff throws that punch.

Don't want to jump into 'OMG HOW CAN U DEFEND HIM???' territory but Brayshaw's season has 3 games left.

Putting a player out for a number of weeks is unacceptable but 'ended his season' is deliberately emotive language.
Watch out Brisbane players in round 23 . You have 0 games left .

12 seems excessive to me. Its over half a season.6 to 8 is fine. Many dont agree it seems but i think it being out of character counts for sonething.

Well, it's only really "out of character" up until the time he hits Brayshaw. After that time, it's not "out of character" anymore, because he did it.
The Barry Hall hit on Staker seems to be the benchmark, and clearly some footballers (Bugg, Cameron etc) are not learning that this stuff is not OK,
so maybe the penalties need to keep going up till they do learn. I agree with the red card idea, and West Coast having to play the rest of the game with
17 players on the field. Yesterday proved you don't always need 18 guys on the field to beat some teams, but if WC had lost the game being a guy down
then that might also help some players get it thru their thick heads that hitting opponents is not OK.

Because we are now short one person on the list. Given that he would be earning $1.2m a year and likely All Australian we should get pick 1 and no other club in the AFL can recruit him.
So you're talking about Gaff? The article was about an amateur player your President was calling to be deregistered, not about Gaff

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still going. Stay classy

Nothing pisses me off more then a cowards punch and to see you absolute scumbugs defending it is just truly pathetic. This goes beyond club loyalties

mate..... the crowd didn’t know. if you bothered to actually read the thread you’d be aware of that.

not every post from an eagles fan is trying to defend a cowards punch you ****

Best round of the year results-wise will be overshadowed by this bad incident.

Afl will make an example of him: 11 weeks and longest-ever AFL era suspension.

Games image is worth too much at the moment with all the talk about a poor spectacle that they can’t allow thuggery/coward punches to been seen as returning to the game as well.

I'm so over the out of character defence. Gaff ran off after king hitting Brayshaw. He showed no humanity to the kid he had just maimed in an unprovoked attack. He didnt notice that he had busted brayshaws face. Sure. Class act.
So what if he ran off after hitting him? The act was done, he probably panicked and didn’t know what to do. Barry Halls reaction after hitting Staker was to act as though he did nothing wrong. The fact he ran off after has no reflection on Gaff. You can argue all you want about hitting him in the jaw, sure, but your grasping because he ran off in the middle of a footy game

Ahh - so you're one of those "She shouldn't have been wearing that" types

You got it fella, I'm a rape apologist because I wonder why actions have consequences. If it's so "out of character" for Gaff to be violent, I'm wondering why it occurred you absolute clown.

Some are suggesting that Brayshaw slipping/ducking meant that he copped it in the jaw instead of the chest which was what Gaff was aiming for, but according to other posters this means we're defending the indefensible. It is merely context as to why this happened.

Either way you throw your fist out you have to accept the consequences even if it wasn't planned. I am sure Gaff didn't want to break Brayshaw's jaw (I am aware some posters will argue otherwise but that's my view) but it has happened and he is a real chance of not playing again until 2019, and deservedly so.
There’s no doubting he deserves the highest of punishment.
However if I aimed a stinger at the chest and smashed the jaw by mistake , I think I’d like people to know the truth.

There is reasonable evidence to suggest that was the case- but none of us will probably ever know for sure unless Gaff inexplicably confesses to aiming for his head. Although there are a lot of fans who would like to discount this because they are baying for Gaff's blood.

What evidence? He must be a pretty poor shot then because he was looking right at Brayshaw when he wound up the hit

mellowyellow posted this in one of our threads, without having seen the incident of that local footy game in link, the outcome is still the same for both, will be interesting to see if the club takes any further action.

https://thewest.com.au/news/australia/rid-amateur-footy-of-thugs-nisbett-ng-ya-120561

"An amateur WA footballer has a broken jaw after an alleged behind-the-play strike that prompted West Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett to call for thugs to be marched out of the game."

"Mr Nisbett, whose two sons play in the WAAFL, said the Eagles sponsored the competition and expected games to be in the “right spirit”. Anyone who engaged in extreme violence should be deregistered."

“Guys don’t sign up for this and if you’re going to go outside the laws of the game, you should be punished with the maximum penalty.

“Enough is enough. This has been creeping in for a number of years. It’s not so much the number of incidents but their severity.”

Been posted here a shedload already

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Was that Gaffs last game for WC?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back