Club Legend
Mar 14, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea
Ok gurus

Does anyone on here live in Malaysia or has lived there and know the best way to watch our great game up here.

Ive just moved to Malaysia and everyone has told me you cannot get any live feeds anywhere, surely this is not true.

Does anyone know of a website that does Live Video Streaming??

I checked the AFL site out, they can only give it to you 24hours delayed.

Any suggestions apart from going across the border to Thailand.

Cheers
Gaza

Plzzzzzz HELP, Im sick to death of watching Soccer 24/7

MaggieNo20 said:
Ok gurus

Does anyone on here live in Malaysia or has lived there and know the best way to watch our great game up here.

Ive just moved to Malaysia and everyone has told me you cannot get any live feeds anywhere, surely this is not true.

Does anyone know of a website that does Live Video Streaming??

I checked the AFL site out, they can only give it to you 24hours delayed.

Any suggestions apart from going across the border to Thailand.

Cheers
Gaza

Plzzzzzz HELP, Im sick to death of watching Soccer 24/7

Why'd you move to Malaysia?

Satellite is banned in Malaysia and Singapore (except in place like the high comm etc). Are you in KL? If you are then contact the Malaysian Warriors http://www.malaysianwarriors.com/ - they will know what to do. If you're in JB then head over to Singapore to watch on cable.

Given ABC Asia Pacific is now doing AFL, league and union I am not too sure how many games a weekend there will be.

I used to live in KL back in my Satay Mat days.

It is not easy

1. Direct Satellite but as mentioned, difficult, expensive and illegal
2. The Malaysian Warriers used to meet in an Irish Pub in Bangsar and watch matches flown up by the airforce, and so were a couple of days old. Not as "live" as afl.com but a good pub footy atmosphere, and good for some banter.
3. during the finals someone posted here a site which had the ABC Asia Pacific video streamed, but no audio.....but the audio is live through afl.com. I got that workingin Russia last year once or twice. It was complicated but with enough bandwidth it can work.

Yes...other than that you go to Singapore, Brunei or Thailand

Sorry to bump an old thread, but it was relevant enough for me to search in Google as I might be headed to Malaysia permanently shortly so I thought I'd update it...

For any Aussies or Expats that are interested, Australia Network shows AFL - Looks like most if not all the matches from this round are on at some stage over the weekend.

If you're in Malaysia, simply subscribe to ASTRO, and make sure that Australia Network is part of your package.... Australia Network is also available in Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia... hell, everywhere... :) Just check your local Pay TV carrier for specific channel details, but if you can get Australia Network you're sound as a pound.... :)

Watching AFL in Malaysia: http://www.malaysianwarriors.com/viewpage.php?page_id=10

Petition to keep footy in Asia Pacific being run by Aussie Properties who were the major sponsors of the footy broadcast http://www.aussieproperty.com/Competitions/
Save Our Footy - Online Petition
The Australian Government is trying to stop the Australian Network from broadcasting our National Game into Asia. Aussieproperty.com and SMATS Group have been the main broadcast sponsor since 2007 and we are gravely concerned that this vital service may be stopped. Register your objection to this and e-sign our petition to help us pressure the Government to continue to allow Australia Network to broadcast Australian Football to the Asian region. Your support is vital.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry to Re-post and bump, but I contacted DFAT about this...

Not that I'm inclined to trust a Commonwealth government department to so much as correctly spell the words "Collins-class submarine" let alone take them at their word regarding outsourcing tender conditions, but the vein of their response was a) we've recommended a balanced approach and we're not advocating ditching sport (translation, we're advocating ditching sport) and b) ultimately the decision of how much sport is shown or what type will be just as much up to tender winner (if sport does get ditched, blame someone else).

On the upside, considering Australia Network is one tender submission, and News Ltd is another, one would hope that Footy coverage would remain largely intact especially if News Ltd wins... they already have the rights through Foxtel, they'd be stupid not to get the maximum use of it.

Or am I being niave? :)

I think the Asian AFL community is constantly poking DFAT to try and get them to just submit and give us our AFL fix.

The last letter I saw (not in response to me but another asian expat) contained the following...

Early July...
I would like to reassure you that sport will continue to be aired as part of the programming schedule under the new Australian Network contract. This will remain an important element of projecting Australia overseas.

The aim of the new contract is not to limit sport in general but to ensure better balanced programming overall. The Australia Network provider selected to provide the service for the next 10 year period will be responsible for determining the sport programming for the Australia Network, including coverate of AFL or other Australian football codes

Sorta reads the same ... its not us its who ever we give the contract to so harrass them once we award it.

Rugby league and union are no longer broadcast on Australia Network (they are on Sentanta, or something like that, sports through Astro) so the only thing I can see that would be popular in Asia besides AFL is the A-League but they play at different times of the year.

Hopefully who ever takes over is sensible and keeps giving us our 7 games a week :)

same question 4 years on going to KL wondering if anywhere shows AFL as Abbott has canned Australia network

Hey guys, anyone know any pubs in Kuala Lumper and Penang i could watch AFL, ill be there for a holiday next week.

Cheers in advance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching AFL In Malaysia

Remove this Banner Ad

Back