WE finally have an experienced coach!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do anything of you think that if Lyon declined Freo's offer, Freo would have still sacked Harvey anyway or was this a case of lets have a crack at someone better and see what happens and if he doesn't come across we'll stay with who we have.

The way Freo went about recruiting Lyon looks like they targetted him specifically.

I get the feeling that Lyon let it be known that he's open to overtures about coming to the club. He's hopped to a list in a better position.

I am currently reading the posts on dockerland and as many say they are hilarious.

We were different and unique and our existence pissed everyone else at the AFL off because we did things our way. Sometimes successful and sometimes not, but always entertaining. Now we are becoming just another souless corporate entity that happens to have a football team they can list in the revenue column of their business model.

The CEO's job is to run the club. There is no "i" in run, though Steve thinks there is one - could someone there explain to him where he is going wrong?

If we wanted to support a good corporate team, we would barrack for the toasters.

Let me say that the name change to DISMANTLE DOCKERS FOOTBALL CLUB might have been more appropriate!

I discovered I support a corporation within a bigger multiple million dollar corporation...and to be quite frank it's left me a bit empty.

Protest 10am tomorrow at Freo Oval for those interested.

I suspect PerthNow and 6PR are just as bad if not worse.

What's the objection in principle to being a "corporate" club? To me being a professionally run organisation is better than being run on the principle of nepotism, favouritism and personal fiefdoms.

What's the correllation between a 'corporate' club and getting the best coach you can anyway? It's the most tenuous link i've ever heard.

Is it possible to avoid being a 'corporate' club but still becoming a successful club? Are we forever doomed to mediocrity if we refuse to become a 'corporate' club? What a load of horse shit.

So much holier than thou crap on that site. Why do they feel that every decision made by the club is a step backwards. I just don't get it..

I always thought it something of a myth when fans of other clubs go on about freo supporters 'accepting failure' and not demanding enough results etc - cheers the boys off after a loss as long as they put in a bit of effort. It always seemed rediculous until now yet it sounds like so many would love to go on as we were, make the finals every 5 years as long as we're nice to everyone - keep the crap song & jumper etc continue to get screwed by other clubs at the draft. Far out I'm seriously stoked with the new outfit & coach etc never been so proud.

I am excited too. if you pop over to dockerland.com they are very negative about the whole thing. I feel for mark harvey but it is in the clubs best interest to get the best available coach and we finally have! looking forward to next year. can't wait!

I think this move is a win win for both clubs. From a St. Kilda perspective, I really don't like the way it was done, too Machiavellian for my liking and it need not have been that way.

Lyon will get results as he will tailor your game style to maximize your ability to win. If that means a defensive game style, so be it. I was able to overlook that at St. Kilda so long as we kept winning.

From a Saints perspective, I think we needed refreshing and a change of game style after 5 years. Looking forward to seeing the kids play too which Lyon was not too keen on playing.

I will keep a keen eye on your progress next year and would like to wish you good luck and success in the pursuit of a premiership. Just don't get too emotionally attached to Lyon as he has clearly shown that he is a no loyalty, career coach who will provide his services to the highest bidder.

Ross Lyon is a failure, fact is he played in 3 Grand Finals loses and choked. He was part of Carlton worse period in over 100 years. I would be guttered if i was you guys, Mark Harvey had a bad run with players injured.

Please if you are going to post at least learn to spell or use the correct word.
Can't even spell your own name should be Gale Dribble.

Impressed with the move and the way it was handled - obviously feel for Harvey, but the way Freo went about it (very cold-bloodedly and professionally) speaks volumes for those in charge of your club.

Kudos.

I feel for Harvs and wish it could have been different but the club had to do it and do it the way it did.

Theres a group of supporters who see it as kinda romantic and celebrate that we are unusual for an AFL club. That we had one of the worse #1 picks in Clive. The history of us getting screwed over in the drafts losing and over-paying for players. The players being soft and losing badly and find losing as acceptable and to be celebrated as being Framantles unconventional way of doing things as if being a joke is acceptable because we're different and anti-corporate.

I dont want Freo to be like this, if being corporate and ruthless delivers a Premiership then so be it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel for Harvs and wish it could have been different but the club had to do it and do it the way it did.

Theres a group of supporters who see it as kinda romantic and celebrate that we are unusual for an AFL club. That we had one of the worse #1 picks in Clive. The history of us getting screwed over in the drafts losing and over-paying for players. The players being soft and losing badly and find losing as acceptable and to be celebrated as being Framantles unconventional way of doing things as if being a joke is acceptable because we're different and anti-corporate.

I dont want Freo to be like this, if being corporate and ruthless delivers a Premiership then so be it.

Clive Waterhouse one of the worse (worst) number 1 draft picks????? Have you never heard of Richard Lounder, Alex McDonald, Stephen Hooper or Johnny Hutton???? 106 games, 178 goals far from the worst number 1 pick ever and far from the worst ever player. You clown.
But yes I agree with your last sentence and everything else you posted :D

Clive Waterhouse one of the worse (worst) number 1 draft picks????? Have you never heard of Richard Lounder, Alex McDonald, Stephen Hooper or Johnny Hutton???? 106 games, 178 goals far from the worst number 1 pick ever and far from the worst ever player. You clown.

Statistically maybe but Clive wasnt the best choice we could have gone for. We could have done much better.

Freo have just committed a brutal act of skullduggery most foul out of nothing more than self interest and in flagrant disregard for any form of propriety................

They may well have just arrived as a real footy club.

I could not agree more It was ruthless agression. Ruthless aggression has been overdue for a very long time at our football club. Maybe this was the moment the board room opened their eyes for once.

We alway talk about loyalty being dead. We always hear about players going to the suns and Giants. to me An AFL contract doesnt mean anything after Mark Harveys sackng.

I dont think any other club would have ever of have done it let alone mine. If Freo win a flag under Lyons coaching and under Steve Rosichs leadership, it will be worth it.

you can also add Anthony Banik on that list as hes the number 1 pick in the 1989 draft and played 49 games from 1990 to 1994

What you mean experienced as in he's been a senior coach since 2007...? Like Mark Harvey has been a senior coach since 2007? Sounds like Harvey is just as experienced as him...

Can't stand Lyon - hate the way he talks, hate the way he walks, hate the way he always looks all smug, hate the way he coached the Saints to be as boring as freakin' batshit...

Not convinced he's that much of an upgrade...

Something else I hate - the disrepectful, secret flipping squirrel way our club went about getting this all lined up. I think to afford Harvey no dignity or respect reeks of arrogance of the highest order... right now I don't much like the Freo Footy Club and part of me would like see Lyon fail spectacularly, while Harvey goes on to bring a premiership to some other club...

Of course the other part...

I haven't heard anyone say or read anything to suggest that Lyon is better than Harvey,I too have doubts on this.

I don't know if Lyon really was that reluctant to blood youth at the Saints.

I thought they played quite a few young guys this year, Steven, McEvoy has developed into a good player, Cripps, Siposs and Lynch etc but the reality is the Saints don't have much to write home about in the youth department hence guys like Peake, Polo, Raph Clarke and Gamble getting regular games.

If Goddard goes they may as well initiate a full-scale re-build as they are in a lot of trouble for the coming years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back