We need a couple of down hill skiers

Remove this Banner Ad

Could it be possible - and yes I know I've suggested this before - that we could extend McLeod's longevity by having him as that forward crumber?

Jenny Love that idea :thumbsu:. especially as said above about the emphasis being on QUICK, did you see him burn through the middle of the ground tonight? I haven't seen him run that quick since he first injured his knee in 97/98? Was great to see

we dont need any downhill skiers, what we need is a quality small crumbing forward so we can release Danger to the midfield next year

I don't think downhill skiiers win finals at all. I think they lose them. Look at Didak and Davis tonight, almost lost us the game in the first half alone. Hard bodied midfielders ala Vince, Hayes, Swan etc win finals.

Maybe a crumbing forward but not a downhill skiier.

You know the one I am talking about. The player that does **** all for the entire game but when your are on a hot patch manages to kick goals out of know where or set up plays that end in goals. 5 touches 2 goals and 3 goal assists for the game in 5 minutes of football. That type of player we lack and unfortunantely they win finals.

Your team are full of players who can snag a few nice goals without having that great a game. Look at Tippet last night and Dangerfield. You might need a pure crumber rather than your mid sized forwards and forward/mids but you have plenty of dangerous goal kickers that can pull a few out of their arse even when they're down.

There is no little quick fix that will get us up with the top few sides, it is simply a case of persisting with the development process. We have the list, it just ain't primed yet. A nippy crumber would be a nice touch but I'd rather an established elite midfield thanks.

Should have changed downhill skiers to electric talents who can spark a game with little influence in the thread, there's a lot of shizen trade offers....

We need a quick defensive tackling crumber with goal sence. A little bloody pest.

Should have changed downhill skiers to electric talents who can spark a game with little influence in the thread, there's a lot of shizen trade offers....

We need a quick defensive tackling crumber with goal sence. A little bloody pest.
In other words we need Cyril Rioli!:D

Seriously, I would be more worried about our midfield. I think we need a strong inside midfielder to take some pressure off Thompson especially with Edwards on his last legs. The club seems to rate Jacky as that player but we will have to wait and see. In the mean time, as jenny suggested, it might be time to plant McLeod inside 50 as a crumbing forward and let him play his last year in that role.

I still think we are in good position going forward. Knights is an opportunist and he has a real knack of finding the footy and reading it off hands.

Its a must to get Dangerfield fit enough so he becomes a full time midfielder that occassionally rotated into the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Danger is that man Stiffy, as is Sloane. That will take a little time, but those guys will eat contested ball and allow Thomo a break here and there.

And yes, we need Cyril. :D

Danger is that man Stiffy, as is Sloane. That will take a little time, but those guys will eat contested ball and allow Thomo a break here and there.

you beat me to it Wall-e :thumbsu:

he needs game time next year.

I would have also been interested to see what young Martin could have produced. He seemed to be a super fast well skilled player that we were looking for.

you beat me to it Wall-e :thumbsu:

he needs game time next year.

I would have also been interested to see what young Martin could have produced. He seemed to be a super fast well skilled player that we were looking for.
Wouldn't surprise to see a lot of Broadie next year just to find him a possy. HFF, HBF, Wing (we're pretty bust at the wing) who knows.

But yeah, a TON of Gt in the middle for Danger and Sloaney next year.

Sloane will be an A grade inside midfielder and could captain this club. There I said it. He will be an out and out star this kid.

I'm not too worried about our midfield. If we push Danger into a full-time role there, rather than the pinch-hitting he does now, plus get Sloaney in there, we have 4 midfielders (including Vince and Thompson) who thrive at winning their own ball. The bigger problem is maybe our depth - strip those players away and there's not much to pick up the slack.

Jenny Love that idea :thumbsu:. especially as said above about the emphasis being on QUICK, did you see him burn through the middle of the ground tonight? I haven't seen him run that quick since he first injured his knee in 97/98? Was great to see

My first thoughts there were he was just taking his last stride through the G. His last glory run, he surely cant have anything left in his tank. Would love him to be in our forward 50 as a crumber, he will always demand a good opponent but I just can't see us swinging that move.

If you want an opportunistic spark player who turns games from nowhere, Cook is your player. He is a spark player. Rough around the edges but he can kick a freakish goal, has explosive pace and takes a strong grab. He's an awkward one to pin down in terms of how good he'll end up being because so much hinges on how his disposal by foot develops.

Best case scenario is he gets it to AFL standard; his other attributes would then propel him to above-average. A pocket rocket who takes a big, flying mark, hits the ground running and burns his opponent off to snag an aussie ripper roast goal. :thumbsu:

Worst case scenario is his foot skills don't tidy up at all; his other attributes allow him to hang around on the list for a while, playing a few games as a depth player and occasionally producing something special.

The potential upside is huge but he's not a lock for gun status like say a Sloane or Mackay. Go back to the pre season highlights against West Coast if you want to see one of his opportunistic snap goals.

re:We need a couple of down hill skiers

Armstrong is on his way :)

crumbing forward - we dont need a small one when we already have Tippett who is great at ground level, and he can double as a big marking forward too :D

Remove this Banner Ad

We need a couple of down hill skiers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back