Strategy We need a key forward

WHOS OUR FF SOLUTION?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

JACOB KOSCHITZKE (HAWTHORN)

Age: 23 2023 games: 12 Position: Key forward Status: Out-of-contract (non-free agent)

Jacob Koschitzke's 2023 Numbers​

2023Key forward rating
Disposals8.6Below Average
Contested Marks1.4Above Average
Forward 50 Marks1.8Average
Goals0.8Below Average
Shot at Goal Accuracy %38%Poor

Not pretty numbers for the Hawk who wants to be a Tiger. He wasn’t great at getting the ball and was bad in front of goal, kicking a major from just 38 per cent of his shots this year. That explains who he managed just nine goals from 12 games. Koschitzke couldn’t deliver as a second banana to Mitch Lewis, but Richmond will be hoping he can as Tom Lynch’s offsider.
That's assuming that Lynch can get and stay on the park (which even for a Lynch who didn't have this very serious injury was problematic), and that he approaches anything like his best at 31. Koschitzke is going to be first banana a lot. Getting him is desperation on steroids but with no first rounder we don't have a choice. It's hard to be enthusiastic about the situation we have found ourselves in. Our KPF situation is probably going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

JACOB KOSCHITZKE (HAWTHORN)

Age: 23 2023 games: 12 Position: Key forward Status: Out-of-contract (non-free agent)

Jacob Koschitzke's 2023 Numbers​

2023Key forward rating
Disposals8.6Below Average
Contested Marks1.4Above Average
Forward 50 Marks1.8Average
Goals0.8Below Average
Shot at Goal Accuracy %38%Poor

Not pretty numbers for the Hawk who wants to be a Tiger. He wasn’t great at getting the ball and was bad in front of goal, kicking a major from just 38 per cent of his shots this year. That explains who he managed just nine goals from 12 games. Koschitzke couldn’t deliver as a second banana to Mitch Lewis, but Richmond will be hoping he can as Tom Lynch’s offsider.
Repost !!!!

Last Hawks win for the season over bulldogs Kosi took 8 marks & kicked 1g 2b from 16 possessions. Doubt Bradke could have done that. Can also play fullback which frees up Gibcus to play forward. Reckon he is well worth the punt.

Back : Balta, Kosi & Young✅✅✅
Fwd. : Lynch, Gibcus & Bauer✅✅✅

wonder if we can pry up and coming full forward mabior chol from the suns?

Yeah it’s not looking good right now. I’d have looked at one the Gold Coast VFL key forwards, but Chris Burgess is going to Adelaide and it doesn’t look like Brodie McLaughlin wants to go anywhere.

Hope we find a solution
McLaughlin delisted so you never know.

Lynch, Kozi, Ryan (with Nank rucking) - Everyone Fit

Kozi, Ryan, Bauer (with Nank) - Lynch Out

Kozi, Bauer, Cumbo (with Ryan) - Lynch and Nank out

The last one is a little bit of a worry, but it's a bit of small ball like 2017, Bauer playing a Caddy like role.

All on the assumption Soldo is going to Port

Not many teams can cover if their number 1 full forward went down, I can only think of Carlton, Western Bulldogs and Geelong. Obviously we need to find a long term replacement but I don't think the situation is dire in the short term, we have enough magnets to throw around in Bauer, Koschitzke, Ryan and Balta in the event lynch is out

Last edited:
Get JR8 out of retirement.
Not even kidding.
Jack's last half of the year was pretty average. 11 goals in his last 10 games, you'd hope that his replacement/s could do similar and add a bit more bit at ground level/crashing packs etc.

Lynch will be back if all goes well. He obviously won't have a full preseason, but at full forward he will still be a target. Last year we had effectively no key forwards as Jack played more like a 3rd tall.

Get JR8 out of retirement.
Not even kidding.
Jack's last half of the year was pretty average. 11 goals in his last 10 games, you'd hope that his replacement/s could do similar and add a bit more bit at ground level/crashing packs etc.

Lynch will be back if all goes well. He obviously won't have a full preseason, but at full forward he will still be a target. Last year we had effectively no key forwards as Jack played more like a 3rd tall.
Jack was a liability in the second half of the year.

11 goals was the only positive.

Oppo were putting second and third string defenders on him most of the time, and as soon as the ball hit the ground we were playing one short.

I love him to bits, but his body is done!

This is what happens when everyone's been drinking a cocktail of bath water and Kool-aid. Lose Chol and CCJ both shocks apparently, Lynch & Riewoldt aging and injured. So typically the club stocks up on another dozen tiny HBF types.

Even taking Thomas Scully over Kaleb Smith would've shown a token of respect to our dire KPF stocks. Bradtke already gone Bauer who knows? With no draft capital this year options are pay through the ass for an out of contract or FA key forward who's careers half over. Or pray there's a quality one in 2024 draft that doesn't bomb. I personally would already be trying to dislodge Sam Darcy while the kids slightly jaded especially with Naughton signed for life.

But what do I know I would've taken Oscar Allen over CCJ and bargain basement 2m Peter. The most crucial position on the field and the club has stuck their head in the sand. Looks like basically Kozitscke and Naish will be our hall this season. We do have premiership players with some currency like Graham, McIntosh and Soldo who could net us something.

Baker would net the club something juicy and as good as he is he's definitely over rated league wide and I'd cash him in for overs before he leaves for WCE in FA and we get screwed with a token pick worse than Brandon Ellis compo.

We have plenty of guys that can play KPF. Apart from Lynch none are solid good AFL quality - yet.

I'd hope that the club is working with Ryan, Miller, Gibcus, Balta, Bauer and Kozi on their forward work. i.e. we don't need to trade etc for another forward. if we can draft one that is great. But do not get desperate. We are more likely to waste our efforts than hit the jackpot.

We know Ryan has what is needed, but needs muscle and fitness. - Anther year of development might tip him over into genuine AFL level.
Miller has the tools, but just never got in the right head space. - Attitude etc is sometimes a switch that goes on, and sometimes never happens. Who knows. Could be that big strong mobile skilled KPF next year. Could be a bust forward. good back and pinch hit ruck though.
Gibcus can be elite, but has had a year off. He's my white knight hope. If he can step in and get the right development Gibcus can be A grade.
Balta see Miller, but even more. Often seems a bit lost forward. love his attitude (as compared to Miller). If he can get his head around what is needed to be a forward he will be B+/A grade instantly.
Bauer lots to like but is more a lead up forward who should not be played against the genuine KPDs. - Is a guy who can come in and play AFL, but as a 3rd tall, or hard running lead up. Should not play as the main man, will be monstered.
Kozi has shown he can be a b grade AFL KPF. Bit of development and responsibility might help. But I reckon he looks like a guy who has a level below Lynch, and hopefully can fill the hole.

+ Lynch - if he comes back OK from his injury then we have that dominant forward. If not we have to manufacture a viable forward line structure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oppo were putting second and third string defenders on him most of the time, and as soon as the ball hit the ground we were playing one short.

It was painful to watch Riewoldt this year. Take away his 3 or 4 games where he kicked bags it was comical. With no speed or leap he could've worked on his upper body strength but instead preferred to joke that wasn't him rather than actually lift some weights. I swear his doppelganger the bloke who played Sherman in American Pie would've been outmuscled less in marking contests than Jack this year. I remember seeing a 175cm swan mid ragdoll him.

ff882f25-0c36-4eba-bba6-1e652ff3ce5c_text.gif

This is what happens when everyone's been drinking a cocktail of bath water and Kool-aid. Lose Chol and CCJ both shocks apparently, Lynch & Riewoldt aging and injured. So typically the club stocks up on another dozen tiny HBF types.

Even taking Thomas Scully over Kaleb Smith would've shown a token of respect to our dire KPF stocks. Bradtke already gone Bauer who knows? With no draft capital this year options are pay through the ass for an out of contract or FA key forward who's careers half over. Or pray there's a quality one in 2024 draft that doesn't bomb. I personally would already be trying to dislodge Sam Darcy while the kids slightly jaded especially with Naughton signed for life.

But what do I know I would've taken Oscar Allen over CCJ and bargain basement 2m Peter. The most crucial position on the field and the club has stuck their head in the sand. Looks like basically Kozitscke and Naish will be our hall this season. We do have premiership players with some currency like Graham, McIntosh and Soldo who could net us something.

Baker would net the club something juicy and as good as he is he's definitely over rated league wide and I'd cash him in for overs before he leaves for WCE in FA and we get screwed with a token pick worse than Brandon Ellis compo.
Brown over Van Rooyen was a blunder. Everyone could see we needed a tall forward.

U Mad Reaction GIF

I like Ryan, maybe not a ready made Max King but alotve positives and a lot of good experience in his 15 games so far.
From being rubbish on his debut in the wet to being number one Ruck with Nank out I think he’s coming on quick.
Tim English is finally hitting his straps and he’s 27 next season, Ryan will be 23
For all those talking up Balta, he was #1 for intercept marks and 3/4th for contested marks in the H/A.
Next season is Baltas 6th in the system.
He’s learnt from Rance, Astbury, Grimes, Vlaustin.
He had a good season but it’s taken this long.

Ryan, Kosi, Baur, Lynch.

We need a 100 from ‘em somehow.
I reckon we’ll get it.

I like Ryan, maybe not a ready made Max King but alotve positives and a lot of good experience in his 15 games so far.
From being rubbish on his debut in the wet to being number one Ruck with Nank out I think he’s coming on quick.
Tim English is finally hitting his straps and he’s 27 next season, Ryan will be 23
For all those talking up Balta, he was #1 for intercept marks and 3/4th for contested marks in the H/A.
Next season is Baltas 6th in the system.
He’s learnt from Rance, Astbury, Grimes, Vlaustin.
He had a good season but it’s taken this long.

Ryan, Kosi, Baur, Lynch.

We need a 100 from ‘em somehow.
I reckon we’ll get it.
Lynch, Gibcus and Kosi forward would be interesting. Lynch deep, the other two on the move up the ground.
Kosi a bit more physical and Gibcus the class.
Ryan is essentially a ruckman, Gawn style more than English who was always very athletic and moves more like a forward.

Lynch, Gibcus and Kosi forward would be interesting. Lynch deep, the other two on the move up the ground.
Kosi a bit more physical and Gibcus the class.
Ryan is essentially a ruckman, Gawn style more than English who was always very athletic and moves more like a forward.
I don’t agree about English I think he’s a more natural footballer and better Ruck but Ryan is a lot more explosive and that makes for a better fwd IMO.
I guess we’ll see, I just don’t think Balta can learn to play fwd.

I don’t agree about English I think he’s a more natural footballer and better Ruck but Ryan is a lot more explosive and that makes for a better fwd IMO.
I guess we’ll see, I just don’t think Balta can learn to play fwd.
Ryan has a good dose of aggression which I agree makes him a bit more explosive if you like, but he doesn't have a spring which sort of offsets his size a bit. English has a very good leap which helps him in the ruck especially.

I reckon they have taught Soldo to leap a bit, so maybe once Ryan reaches somewhere near his physical peak he might increase that a bit which would help him forward and rucking. I think he is another year away, he needs a big preseason.

Agree with Balta, not so much that he can't play forward, but he is so good back. With Young now taking the no.1 key back, Balta could play CHB and be a real attacking weapon.

With Lynch and Dusty’s contracts coming to an end, I would be working on spreading the years but dropping the amount.

I’d be freeing up salary for a massive move.

I’d be offering $10m for 10 years for this bloke who’s about to explode.

IMG_3220.jpeg

With them foolishly giving Naughton 8 more years (9 in total) a big offer for Jamarra I don’t believe they can match. Even if we miss out, it would force them to pay overs as they would need to satisfy him. Finishing top 10 of Bulldogs year too is impressive. He’s coming.

Is it risky? Yep. But he’s a 21 year old who’s got it all to be a superstar up forward.

I think this would be what I would be doing now for next year. Give them something to think about.

That's crap. We didn't rate Scully or we would've taken him. No point drafting a bloke just cos he's tall. He averaged 6 disposals, 2 marks and 1 goal per game in the SANFL too so there's not a chance he would've got the call up to the seniors. Bradtke had much better numbers than that (8 disposals, 3 marks, 1.5 goals) and he just got cut.

Huh? He has 2 defenders hanging off him at all times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy We need a key forward

Back