Analysis We need to chat ( some of our more sensitive posters, probably shouldn't enter)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah it was the right thing to do, we then bought back some free senior talent to help out the youngsters, I don't mind that approach. We knew we'd bottom out and that was the plan, hit the drafts hard and start again. It is why we had to start again that is the issue.

T'was K4E who posted all of our misses, I think. Anyway it sticks out like dogs balls. I don't mind if we miss a fourth rounder ie a Ford, at pick 50 odd you're not really expecting much. A bit speculative and that's ok.

Our second round misses and trading have been catastrophic as of now, some may turn it around.

Rd 2 2020 Charlie Lazzaro
Rd 2 2020 Phoenix Spicer
Rd 2 2019 Jack Mahony
Rd 2 2019 Flynn Perez
Rd 2 2017 Wil Walker
Rd 2 2016 Declan Watson
Rd 2 2016 Josh Williams
Rd 2 2015 Ryan Clarke
Rd 2 2015 Mitch Hibberd
Rd 2 2014 Dan Nielson
Rd 2 2014 EVW

Goodness me

oh well
Don’t forget Logue

If not two years after that
Still confident 2025 is the year we play finals.
That is the best part of 60 games away.
Of course Cunners, JZ , Goldy, Greenwood, Shiels will all be gone and require replacing

Hope that two spots go to our 2024 first rounders then George, Xerri( we have no one else ) Wardlaw and TT all get cracking.

So five out and six in. That works for me

Still confident 2025 is the year we play finals.
That is the best part of 60 games away.
Of course Cunners, JZ , Goldy, Greenwood, Shiels will all be gone and require replacing

Hope that two spots go to our 2024 first rounders then George, Xerri( we have no one else ) Wardlaw and TT all get cracking.

So five out and six in. That works for me
Unfortunately that requires good recruiting. Those second round lemon picks you listed in a previous post we wasted don’t fill me with confidence.

There's not much in the VFL that you'd want running around at AFL level right now.

George The Animal Wardlaw is one. Greenwood possibly. Anyone else?

Simpkin, Wardlaw and The Ninja in. Not much is it ?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

There's not much in the VFL that you'd want running around at AFL level right now.

George The Animal Wardlaw is one. Greenwood possibly. Anyone else?

Simpkin, Wardlaw and The Ninja in. Not much is it ?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
I look at Drury and see a potential Turner replacement. Everyone else is either ingrained with meh or too raw, mostly the former.

OK then... Looking at who played there are 10 I wouldn't blink if they were delisted (taking positional depth completely out of the equation).

Greenwood can compete at the level.
Wardlaw, Goater, Bergman all have an assortment of great traits and are young af.
Drury looks like he could develop into something.
Archer has shown the goods at both levels but had a quiet one.
Cooper... bit sentimental I guess.

The rest. Stagnant waters.
Perez potentially salvageable still but will probably go down as having his potential robbed by repeat injury.
CCJ maybe possibly could kinda hopefully PLEASEGODPLEASE still find something.
Young and, to a lesser degree, Ford shown bits and pieces (good and bad) but hasn't improved.
Mahoney was interesting for the first half dozen games of his career. It's 2 years later.
Spicer, Dawson, Free, Edwards... Yeah.
Bonar. Eh. Great athletic traits and gets hard (arguably unfair) assignments. But again just hasn't improved.

Yeah we could turn over 10+ list spots without breaking a real sweat this year.

OK then... Looking at who played there are 10 I wouldn't blink if they were delisted (taking positional depth completely out of the equation).

Greenwood can compete at the level.
Wardlaw, Goater, Bergman all have an assortment of great traits and are young af.
Drury looks like he could develop into something.
Archer has shown the goods at both levels but had a quiet one.
Cooper... bit sentimental I guess.

The rest. Stagnant waters.
Perez potentially salvageable still but will probably go down as having his potential robbed by repeat injury.
CCJ maybe possibly could kinda hopefully PLEASEGODPLEASE still find something.
Young and, to a lesser degree, Ford shown bits and pieces (good and bad) but hasn't improved.
Mahoney was interesting for the first half dozen games of his career. It's 2 years later.
Spicer, Dawson, Free, Edwards... Yeah.
Bonar. Eh. Great athletic traits and gets hard (arguably unfair) assignments. But again just hasn't improved.

In no particular order, the players I reckon are out of contract this year are: Zeibell, Comben, Mahony, McKay, Bonar, Edwards, Spicer, Hall, Goldstein, Perez, Young, Greenwood and Turner. Please correct if if I'm wrong.

Comben and Mckay, assuming he wants to stay, would be locks. Greenwood still has value. Goldie wants to stay on, maybe Jack as well. I thought that Young showed a fair bit last year. Won't be too difficult to clear a good few list spots.

Not sure what good that does. We've already been down that route. We have to try and salvage something from what we have. Otherwise it's a vicious wooden spoon cycle where plodders are replaced with plodders and absolutely no progress is made

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure what good that does. We've already been down that route. We have to try and salvage something from what we have. Otherwise it's a vicious wooden spoon cycle where plodders are replaced with plodders and absolutely no progress is made
In the past, say since Gold Coast and GWS had their draft concessions, we haven't nailed our draft picks and our development has been extremely hit and miss. If nothing changes, then you're absolutely right. We have an eternity of mediocrity to look forward to.

Hopefully, our recruiting and development has / is improving substantially, but it will be a while before we know.

Hear me out. This season isn't going anywhere. We should play this 22 every game for the rest of the season:
B McDonald McKay Corr
HB Ziebell Logue Sheezel
C Shiels Simpkin Howe
HF Zurhaar Comben Tucker
F Stephenson Larkey Turner
R Goldy Cunners LDU
B Young Bonar Hall Greenwood Mahony (sub)

Protect the kids who aren't ready yet (Phillips, Bergman, Goater, Archer, Powell, Scott, Curtis, Lazzaro, Taylor, Free, Harvey, Wardlaw, Ford, Perez, Spicer) None of them get games. Dawson, Drury, CCJ, Xerri can be used if fit or if needed.

Then move on everyone from that 23 except for Sheezel, LDU, Logue, Comben, Stephenson, Zurhaar, Larkey and the captains.

Rip the band-aid off.

Rebuilding restarting ******ing whatever we call all these patches over the last 7 years... It's taken too long. Too much bog average through every demographic because we play a constant game of trying to draft for the future while having to replace actual good players that retire each year. Goldy, JZ, Cunners this year we need to replace. I suppose Corr becomes the new JZ, but inferior, Wardlaw the new Cunners, but years off his prime, and X becomes the new Goldy, but nowhere as effective.

I don't envy Clarkson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis We need to chat ( some of our more sensitive posters, probably shouldn't enter)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back