We need to talk about Oscar

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I can say he did a decent job at negating Gawn around the ground, but he was mostly beaten in the ruck itself. Still his form the last few weeks has been good so I'm excited to see how he goes against Grundy in a few weeks.

How big is that game going to be. Grand Final rehearsal I reckon.

Defended him last time but my god did he need to dominate today and didn't.

He wasn't awful but the matchup he had, he should have got more out of today.

He was close to best on in the first quarter, which was a big reason we were dominating the game. Was a non factor after that really, but as you say with that match up he really needed to have a major say on the result. He didn’t unfortunately.

Has had a great 8 weeks - today brutal but can’t throw the good work out.
I don't think it was brutal and agree he's been pretty good for a while now.

Just expected a bit more on the matchup alone, maybe that's asking a bit too much. He is a good ruckman but maybe hasn't got the tools to really dominate his opponent. I've always thought of him as a proper competitor.

He was close to best on in the first quarter, which was a big reason we were dominating the game. Was a non factor after that really, but as you say with that match up he really needed to have a major say on the result. He didn’t unfortunately.
From the 2nd quarter on their ruck played at 90 degrees to Oscar not front on. From that moment Oscar just didn't adjust...

In fact I think Oscar was so thrown he spent more time reacting than playing his own game - which is what he does whenever he loses the contest.

Love how we have one thread about Oscar's form but not one for Joe ;)

Joe, Harris, Oscar and Lachie all very quiet for most of the game. Going to be hard for us to win all of them are that down.
Pretty impressive list to be there for Oscar though - AA mainstays and someone people wanted to move on from numerous times in the last few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laughable that anyone even thought for a second that Oscar was AA worthy.

Heard it a few times (commentators), which I scoffed at every time. His good is good, offset by his more often average. There is no chance he is in the AA squad, it’s Gawn/Xerri, daylight after that.

I’d have English (average himself for the most of this year) and Nank (ditto) ahead of Oscar, even Grundy (see English) and Marshall (see Grundy) ahead of him.

Heard it a few times (commentators), which I scoffed at every time. His good is good, offset by his more often average. There is no chance he is in the AA squad, it’s Gawn/Xerri, daylight after that.

I’d have English (average himself for the most of this year) and Nank (ditto) ahead of Oscar, even Grundy (see English) and Marshall (see Grundy) ahead of him.
Commentators have short term memory and to be fair Oscar has had a great couple of months prior to this.

Big O is at his dangerous best when goes for the clearance himself. Either wrestle the footy out and handball/kick aggressively forward or smash a clearance out of centre. Keep it simple and get the sherrin moving our way.

Maybe today was the day for Big O ( after first quarter) to revert to the Clark ( Crackers ) Keating motto of just smash the ball as far as you can. His little deft touches did not seem to be working after quarter time.
Just kept trying to do the same thing all day. Didn’t try and change one thing.
Rinse and repeat 🔁

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to talk about Oscar

Remove this Banner Ad

Back