We should have got David Swallow for Gary Ablett

Remove this Banner Ad

Archangel

All Australian
Jun 4, 2010
Where Hawks fear to tread
AFL Club
Geelong
With all due respect to Billie Smedts and our future 1st round pick; who i hope become fantastic players for the club, to lose the best player in the competition deserved nothing less than the best kid available.

Considering the Gold Coast received so many early picks and compensations, I think losing their No.1 pick for Ablett would have been more than adequate.

But, I suppose being the AFL's new muppets they need everything, though it will be nice to start picking apart both their team and GWS in the not too distant future:thumbsu:

The compensation was fine.
Let it go people, let it go.

*probably the same people that said Gaz would be no good without the protection of the other Geelong mids.

Any pick allocated to GC was never on the table. We got picks from the AFL not GC , so pick 1 was never a chance. The AFL had one focus GC and everything else was secondary. Originally there was never going to even be compensation , how would that have gone down?

But we got some comp and ignoring the second pick ftm , whether BillieS becomes a player who is worthy of Ablett is to a degree Geelong's responsibility . They decided to trade their comp pick for P15 , they picked BillieS (they had the chance Watson, Issac Smith , Jack Darling to name 3)
Did they know he had hip issues that would prevent him playing at all this year? I watched him in the Champs and I loved him but one can still have bad luck ie Brown

For mine I think its a reasonable comp. Compare it to what we got for Colbert , at the time I was very peeved yet now we have a couple of Premiership players from the trade. Give it time and we will see if it was fair and don't forget there is still one to come.

judas could have requested that gold coast trade for him
and ensure gfc received fair compensation

it would have shown some good faith for gfc, and not the crap selfish way he left

move on

happy he is gone

judas could have requested that gold coast trade for him
and ensure gfc received fair compensation

it would have shown some good faith for gfc, and not the crap selfish way he left

move on

happy he is gone

I don't think he was about to let anything (or anyone) get in the way of his 10 million dollars.

Whether Geelong got fairly compensated or not would not have even crossed his mind, that much was obvious.

Can't believe there are some 'fans' who still harbour affection for him and strenuously defend that little douche. It's understandable why opposition trolls do it, heck some even admit they've started liking him since he left Geelong.

Cant believe any Geelong supporter can have that attitude towards Ablett. Sure he annoyed me last year when the uncertainty dragged on and on . But im over that and i think we have covered for him beautifully -plus 2 1st round draft picks which might just prolong our window of opportunity. But im happy to admit i still love watching little Gazza playing -ive watched quite a few suns games -and i hope he kicks 10 goals in each game -its not hurting geelong .HE gave us great service -in the 2008 GF -he did everything humanly possible to get us over the line . And in his last game for the club -he was outstanding -and if he hadnt played that night we would have lost by plus 100 points which would have taken the gloss of our 2 flags

There are so many boring footballers -but when Ablett gets the ball something exciting happens -and if he is not hurting Geelong -im still happy to admit -that i still love watching him play

I don't think he was about to let anything (or anyone) get in the way of his 10 million dollars.

Whether Geelong got fairly compensated or not would not have even crossed his mind, that much was obvious.

Can't believe there are some 'fans' who still harbour affection for him and strenuously defend that little douche. It's understandable why opposition trolls do it, heck some even admit they've started liking him since he left Geelong.
You may not be alone in your views, ask _Me_, but I still love watching Ablett play, and hope he continues to show he is THE BEST in the AFL. I'd be happy if he won the Brownlow. After all he did for Geelong and us supporters, sheer joy to watch, I find it hard to agree with you.

IN my opinion we should have got picks 3 and 10 (or the equivalent thus not taking away from GC). Pick one was never an option due to Swallow already playing for GC in VFL.

Imagine the draft:

P3:Sam Day
P10:Billie Smedts
P15:Matt Watson
P23: Cam Guthrie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gary who?
Move on...

Agreed!!
Round 17 and we are sitting clear 2nd on the ladder.

Whats done is done, we need to stop dwelling on the past because the present is far from doom and gloom!!

While on the subject, we should have won in 08 but Hawthorn cheated......:D

David Swallow has been a bit of a disappointment IMO. Good player but want to see more of him.

Lynch is the one who impresses me.

Smedts might be better than both of them. The mail is that he is a gun!

Plus, what would have happened if that draft was full of duds?
We would have been forced to take pick 1 and select a player that we may not have needed/wanted instead of getting to choose when we use our priority picks.

Sure, we should have gotten better compo, but whats done is done.

He's gone move on. On one of the myriad of footy panel show's (cant remember which one) it was stated that had Ablett stayed on the money GFC were offering there were three players who played last week that wouldn't have been on our list anymore. G Wheatley I think it was.

How can you get a good deal when its so late in the day before the "star" signs?

Its not like Ablett was honest and said to Geelong at the start of the season he was going.

The Geelong brainstrust were also living in hope and making offers to Ablett up to the last moment.

All year they should have been focussing on one thing: compensation. But they couldn't so long as Ablett and the AFL were stringing them along.

No way would the AFL had of allowed that. They want the deck well and truely stacked in GC's favour.

Until in five years when GC dominates the competition to such extent that the AFL realizes what a monster it has created

Until in five years when GC dominates the competition to such extent that the AFL realizes what a monster it has created

And with the compensation they have been given they have the potential to do that!! Lets just hope they make some bad mistakes with coaching staff and they never make it like Freo!!

David Swallow has been a bit of a disappointment IMO. Good player but want to see more of him.

Lynch is the one who impresses me.

Smedts might be better than both of them. The mail is that he is a gun!
No disappointment today

I agree, we should have taken swallow, he's better than some of our young guys.
#1 draft pick, was never ours to take, would have been fantastic compensation for Ablett, wonder WHEN the rules will change. They have already changed the Judd / VISY allowances.

Remove this Banner Ad

We should have got David Swallow for Gary Ablett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back