Toast Welcome Callum Wilkie

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2018-11-27/wilkies-lifechanging-phone-call

Wilkie's life-changing phone call

“Clear up the desk mate, we’ve just taken you! You play for the Saints now.”

Some phone calls just change dinner plans. Others change lives forever.

Callum Wilkie was sitting at his desk in an Adelaide CBD accounting firm late on Friday afternoon, but his mind was elsewhere.

So when the intercept defender received a call from Chris Toce, St Kilda’s National Recruiting Manager (SA/WA), he was understandably overwhelmed.

“You play for the Saints now!” Toce repeated.

“I went back in on Saturday morning and cleaned out the desk,” Wilkie said.

“It was pretty surreal knowing I wouldn’t be coming back.”

I like the look of Tom Jok, I wonder why we didn't draft him? Another hbf? Or is he more than that?

Looking at his highlights, could be a steal, maybe even a Sam Fisher mark 2? Very accomplished, ready to go. I am predicting he will elevated on the senior list by the end of 2019.
He sure hits targets and takes the right options from the highlights , even more pressure now on some other the backs , maybe he is the back up option if Robbo was to have more problems

Coconut wireless is telling me that this was Elshaugh's farewell pick before he closes the door on the way out.

Never trust the coconut wireless.

His stats are well above average so I can only assume that teams see him as a solid hbf and nothing more. Without that break neck pace or a 60m hoof it's hard to stand out in the role.

What he does well is set up the play. From the limited vision I've seen I would say that the best way to describe him is decisive. He judges the options quickly and then switches the play or holds up accordingly. Nothing super flashy or attention grabbing, just a really honest player who is looking to protect his teams possession at all times.

If he plays some games then good on him. Looks to be a depth option to cover for Roberton in the short term but might also be able to push up onto a wing. I think that a smart player like him could be great value delivering inside 50. Given how manic we are looking to be in the forward half of the ground a calm and collected player like Wilkie will be a nice point of difference should he make the grade.

There were some highlights of him floating around, can someone please share them?

To me he looked like a ready made, ready to go AFL footballer. Surprised he made it through to the rookie draft.

I am a passionate North Adelaide supporter and have seen all of Callum Wilkie's SANFL senior games. He won the North Adelaide best and fairest award in this year's premiership team. He is a very good intercept mark and an excellent left foot kick. I am not saying he is anywhere near as good but he plays like Jeremy McGovern of the West Coast in the way that he takes intercept marks. He occasionally drifts down to have a shot for goal from about 45 metres out and I have never seen him miss.
North had 5 premiership players drafted or rookied and he clearly had the best SANFL season of any of the five. Having said that 3 of those players have played less than 10 senior games whereas Wilkie is 22 years of age and has played 62 SANFL senior games for 15 goals.

I am a passionate North Adelaide supporter and have seen all of Callum Wilkie's SANFL senior games. He won the North Adelaide best and fairest award in this year's premiership team. He is a very good intercept mark and an excellent left foot kick. I am not saying he is anywhere near as good but he plays like Jeremy McGovern of the West Coast in the way that he takes intercept marks. He occasionally drifts down to have a shot for goal from about 45 metres out and I have never seen him miss.
North had 5 premiership players drafted or rookied and he clearly had the best SANFL season of any of the five. Having said that 3 of those players have played less than 10 senior games whereas Wilkie is 22 years of age and has played 62 SANFL senior games for 15 goals.
Who were the other North players?

His stats are well above average so I can only assume that teams see him as a solid hbf and nothing more. Without that break neck pace or a 60m hoof it's hard to stand out in the role.

What he does well is set up the play. From the limited vision I've seen I would say that the best way to describe him is decisive. He judges the options quickly and then switches the play or holds up accordingly. Nothing super flashy or attention grabbing, just a really honest player who is looking to protect his teams possession at all times.

If he plays some games then good on him. Looks to be a depth option to cover for Roberton in the short term but might also be able to push up onto a wing. I think that a smart player like him could be great value delivering inside 50. Given how manic we are looking to be in the forward half of the ground a calm and collected player like Wilkie will be a nice point of difference should he make the grade.
Kind of reminds me of Joel Bowden.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here are the highlights to Wilkies finals this year I was after.

A best and fairest in a premiership team. 14 times named in the best players including 5 best on grounds. Hopefully could end up being that third tall intercept defender.

Liked that last goal of his.

A best and fairest in a premiership team. 14 times named in the best players including 5 best on grounds. Hopefully could end up being that third tall intercept defender.

Looks like a real architect in the backline. I like him.

Who were the other North players?

Connor Rozee drafted by Port Adelaide
Robbie Young drafted by St Kilda
Boyd Woodcock drafted by Port Adelaide
Wilkie
Jordan Sweet rookied by the Western Bulldogs

As I said before all 5 played in the winning Grand Final side so they all have experienced playing and succeeding in front of 40,000+ people in a pressure match. Of course it is not the standard of an AFL game but it has a similar atmosphere as a normal AFL game.

Connor Rozee drafted by Port Adelaide
Robbie Young drafted by St Kilda
Boyd Woodcock drafted by Port Adelaide
Wilkie
Jordan Sweet rookied by the Western Bulldogs

As I said before all 5 played in the winning Grand Final side so they all have experienced playing and succeeding in front of 40,000+ people in a pressure match. Of course it is not the standard of an AFL game but it has a similar atmosphere as a normal AFL game.
thanks for the info.

I get it now. Connor Rozee is good but made a lot better by Wilkie setting him up from the backline, like the way Liverpool bought Dejan Lovren cos we thought he was a gun but found out he was significantly enhanced by working alongside VVD.

Got a feeling ol' Wilko may be a very apt back up for Dylan Robo.

Looks ridiculously composed on his laser left.. I can see him pushing up onto a wing at some stage..

He's more than that. Sam Fisher type. Could be handy in a number of roles. Very good kick for goal too. Keep Dixon away from him.

Yeah, I like him, I was just joking. As was mentioned by others, composure is great. Holds the trigger on his left foot, then pulls it. The type of kick that the Hawks always used to get. Just hope he is good enough to be in a position to use it often enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back