Welcome to Collingwood Josh Smith

Remove this Banner Ad

Friday November 27, 2015

Redland Football Club midfielder Josh Smith wins 2015 Dowling Medal for Redland's best-and-fairest player
Sept. 28, 2015, 8:59 a.m.

r0_105_2048_1256_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Midfielder Josh Smith won the 2015 Dowling Medal for Redland’s best-and-fairest player.

See your ad here
The Bombers were bundled out of the finals series in the final rounds but blooded several talented youngsters that point to a bright future at the club.

Smith said the challenge of taking on more ownership in the midfield after a high turnover of players last season was one he wanted to take head on, as finals continues to be the big goal.

“There was an opportunity for someone like me to play as an inside midfielder and challenge myself to be one of the elite midfielders in the competition,” he said.

“Mentally it was a challenge I wanted to take on.

“Having a healthy body all year and embracing the opportunity Redland offered me this year was really beneficial to me.

“I know the group is really disappointed we didn’t make finals.

“We thought our best was good enough.

“With the high turnover of players, however, I think this year we laid a really good foundation in terms of forming relationships with players.

“There is a good vibe around the club at the moment and I think we know we are going places.”

The Dowling Medal is voted by all four Redland coaches.

A maximum of 40 votes may be given by each coach in any one game with no player able to poll higher than 10 votes per coach per game.

Uebergang, 20, was also recognised for a stellar season by finishing runner-up and taking out the club’s Thomas/Oxley Medal for the Rising Star.

Brad Rees (166 votes) finished third in the Dowling Medal with captain Tom Salter (164) and Peter Yagmoor (161) rounding out the top five.

Young defender Scott Miller was awarded Best Clubman with Sam Michael winning the Most Professional Award and Hayden Bertoli-Simmonds earning the Coach’s Trophy.
surely not named after ours

Redland FC Players Drafted into the AFL.

Michael West (Western Bulldogs, Pick 57 – 2005 AFL Draft)

Paul O'Shea (Western Bulldogs, Pick 76 - 2006 AFL Draft)

Brad Howard (St Kilda, Pick 27, 2006 AFL Draft)

Jake Spencer (Melbourne, Pick 35, 2007 Rookie Draft)

Charlie Dixon (Gold Coast Suns, 2008 Priority Zone Pick 1)

Josh Thomas (Collingwood, Pick 72, 2009 AFL Draft)

Alex Sexton (Gold Coast Suns, Pick 88 2011 AFL Draft)

Sam Michael (Brisbane Lions, Pick 99 2012 Rookie Draft)

Lee Spurr (Fremantle, Pick 8 2012 Rookie Draft)

Adam Oxley (Collingwood, Pick 35 2013 Rookie Draft)

Fair effort from their footy club that's for sure.

10 things you didn't know about .....Josh Smith

Submitted by Marty on Thu, 01/29/2015 - 22:50
Smithy%20jnr.jpg

In the lead into the 2015 NEAFL season redlandafc.com will be profiling players, coaches, and officials from the Bombers to give supporters an insight into the group assembled at the club this year. Be sure to keep up to date with the who's who at the Bombers

Josh Smith reveals his other side and shares an unlikley duo as his celebrity crush

Smith joined the Bombers in 2014 after a fabulous couple of season's at NEAFL level with Morningside. A regular state underage representative Smith won the NEAFL Rising Star in 2013 and the Toowoomba product stamped himself as one of the more offensive defenders in the competition. He played every game for the Bombers in 2014 and this season will look to take his game further up and inside the ground.

What have you enjoyed the most about the pre-season?

The challenge of continuing to improve as a team as well as individually and spending time with great mates

Who is the biggest pest at the football club?

Andrew Smith

What is your favourite food?

Sushi

If you were not to play AFL what sport would you play?

Ten Pin Bowling

Who is your childhood hero?

Joel Selwood

What is your favourite movie?

Paper Planes

What is the best holiday you have been on?

Bali

If you were on a deserted island what is the one thing you couldn't live without?

Harry Hunkin

Who is your celebrity crush?

Paul Hunter/Blake Grewar

Who has the worst taste in music at the football club?

Thomas Salter

wat

I found our own rama chasing him here
Smith has hand in historic win

Former Uni Cougars Junior Josh Smith has played a major role in the Under 18 Queensland Scorpions historic 2 point win over Western Australia in the NAB AFL Under 18 Championships at Blacktown last Sunday.

Going into the match as underdogs against the fancied WA outfit the Scorpions chances took a further dive with injuries to three key players in the opening term.

The Queenslanders battled hard throughout the match and with five minutes remaining in the last quarter the Sandgropers 16 point lead looked enough to get them the win.

But the plucky Scorpions drew deep and two quick goals had them back in contention.

With a minute remaining young gun Cain Tickner booted the goal that saw Queensland claim the scalp of the competition powerhouse 10-6-66 to 8-16-64.

“The belief and courage shown by all the players was inspirational,” said Queensland State Talent Manager Bob Batty.

NEAFL.
Well I'm convinced
Beams, Oxley and Thomas all played NEAFL. Stranger things have happened than an overage NEAFL player making it to senior AFL level (although it's going to be an uphill battle for the kid given how stacked we are through the middle now).

We've got a thing for Queenslanders don't we, and midfielders.

J.Smith
Sounds suspiciously like Hine just flipped through the telephone book & chose a name randomly.

Nb do you still have telephone books? Stopped in Singapore years ago..

Obviously just looked for the most vanilla name available. He is cooling on the silly names such as Sidebottom.

Only way anyone would have pipped him is if their name was John Smith. So close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Redland FC Players Drafted into the AFL.

Michael West (Western Bulldogs, Pick 57 – 2005 AFL Draft)

Paul O'Shea (Western Bulldogs, Pick 76 - 2006 AFL Draft)

Brad Howard (St Kilda, Pick 27, 2006 AFL Draft)

Jake Spencer (Melbourne, Pick 35, 2007 Rookie Draft)

Charlie Dixon (Gold Coast Suns, 2008 Priority Zone Pick 1)

Josh Thomas (Collingwood, Pick 72, 2009 AFL Draft)

Alex Sexton (Gold Coast Suns, Pick 88 2011 AFL Draft)

Sam Michael (Brisbane Lions, Pick 99 2012 Rookie Draft)

Lee Spurr (Fremantle, Pick 8 2012 Rookie Draft)

Adam Oxley (Collingwood, Pick 35 2013 Rookie Draft)
that is not a bad record for a small club the sea breeze must work well down there.

Welcome to collingwood dicky
DickSmith%20logo.jpg
article-2484131-1920FE5F00000578-9_306x423.jpg

I know there is some glum chums out there raining on Keefe & Thomas, but at the end of the day they are pretty much the best 2 out of a pretty unexciting rookie draft.

Not exactly sure where JT will slot in again given our midfield depth has really expanded a lot. Keefe is going to be more than useful, given his size and ability to play multiple positions, makes for the perfect rookie IMO.

The only other thing I will say on the rookie draft is where the F is my small forward, its all I wanted for Xmas.

Obviously just looked for the most vanilla name available. He is cooling on the silly names such as Sidebottom.

Only way anyone would have pipped him is if their name was John Smith. So close.
I'm a chance next year. I'm a J.Smith too!

He's listed as a midfielder however, I read that he normally plays HBF and moved into the midfield this year.
If so, this just gives us another player who can play in more than one position which is a good thing.
Wouldn't mind betting he plays HBF in the VFL.

He's listed as a midfielder however, I read that he normally plays HBF and moved into the midfield this year.
If so, this just gives us another player who can play in more than one position which is a good thing.
Wouldn't mind betting he plays HBF in the VFL.

Derek Hine loves his versatile types... or multidimensional as I think he called the four draftees from Tuesday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back