"Welcome To Country" Speeches .......... Gone Too Far Now ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Why should the AFL step in? Because an individual performing WTC said it’s not for white people?

To be clear Brendan Kerin didn’t say “the welcome to country is not for white people” as some media has reported.

He said “indigenous people did not make up the WTC for white people”.

He was debunking a commonly expressed conservative lie that Ernie Dingo made up the WTC ceremony in the 1970s. Ernie himself said that he performed the first WTC ato a group of white people in the 70s but it had been a long standing traditional amongst indigenous groups for thousands of years before then.

I have no problem with the welcome to country but I'd probably prefer a new national anthem that has at least one verse in a first nations language.
Every time I hear the NZ equivalent I feel equal parts sad and envious that they have a rousing Māori opening that everyone knows the words to.
Our anthem is complete horseshit
The difference with the Maori and Aboriginals is the Māori are one race with one language. The Australian Aboriginals had upwards of 300 different nations/languages. They were never one people.

The older generation are too easily offended.

As soon as someone says I pay my taxes so I’m entitled to this opinion…

You know it’s not going to be good.

Ok so the “voice of the nation” has spoken:

She vowed to “turn my back” on the practice when it’s conducted in parliament and at public events.

“I strongly encourage other Australians to do the same. Stop being walked over, and stand up for your home.”

So if the people of the nation hate the Welcome to Country ceremonies and are sick of the “wokeness” being shoved down your throats then you now have a way to fight back.

Simply turn your back to the ceremony when it is performed at any public event.
It will really show how many people out there genuinely hate the WTC vs those keyboard warriors with an amplified voice.

So tough guys let’s see you do it. There’ll be 3 more AFL finals with a WTC being performed over the next two weeks, plus other sporting games and cultural events. If you genuinely have “had a gutful” of the WTC then turn your back.

I always like these conversations. People get caught up in these arguments about things which happened generations ago and for which there is never going to be any answer or resolution. It feels like a grade 6 social studies class right now. It’s a convenient way to never address the real social issues facing current indigenous Australians which can actually be answered and resolved.

I always like these conversations. People get caught up in these arguments about things which happened generations ago and for which there is never going to be any answer or resolution.

Which is why the conversation shouldn’t be about the intent of James Cook’s action in 1770, it should be about the importance of a Welcome To Country ceremony in 2024

The guy who did the 'welcome to country' ceremony prior to the Giants V Lions game semi-final seemed to use the platform more as a divisive political tool than a genuine & proud showing of the way the indigenous people have done things for many years.

There has been a lot of condemnation for his comments, especially the "BC ...... before Cook" part with observers in the media calling for this stuff to stop. The irony was that he introduced himself as a "cultural educator from the Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council" but he was not culturally sensitive at all.

“A Welcome to Country is not a ceremony we’ve invented to cater for white people”.

If these indigenous leaders are going to use primetime TV as an opportunity to be somewhat insulting & controversial like he did, should the AFL discontinue the practice ??

I liked one comment.

"Those who want to be outraged will be."

Looks like you are one of those who were.

The headline the journo's used stirred the pot. It's just what they do.

Initially I thought what is going on here? Then I actually went and watched the footage and went 'meh, nothing story', the bloke was just debunking the red neck fools saying welcome to country was invented after settlement. It wasn't. It was occurring well before settlement. And he explained why.

So to all those getting upset about this. Give yourselves an uppercut.

Bill Murray Thank You GIF by filmeditor

Last edited:
To be clear Brendan Kerin didn’t say “the welcome to country is not for white people” as some media has reported.

He said “indigenous people did not make up the WTC for white people”.

He was debunking a commonly expressed conservative lie that Ernie Dingo made up the WTC ceremony in the 1970s. Ernie himself said that he performed the first WTC ato a group of white people in the 70s but it had been a long standing traditional amongst indigenous groups for thousands of years before then.

That's wrong.

It was to a group of Maoris. Not white people.

They had to create one for the occassion as they didn't have one to use.

They came up with this:

"I asked the good spirits of my ancestors and the good spirits of the ancestors of the land to watch over us and keep our guests safe while they’re in our Country. And then I talked to the spirits of their ancestors, saying that we’re looking after them here and we will send them back to their Country."

I rather like that one. Better than what they are using now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just went back and watched it and it is just divisive crap.

It is getting beyond a joke now, how wit is shoved down our throats everyday.
I have to do this BS at every meeting I have, even if it is on ZOOM.
Next I will have a WTC to order a pizza.

Australia has gone mad with the way the country is going.
Between the corrupt and weak Governments, to the people who protest for the sake of protesting all the way to the people who fight a cause they know little about.
Australia just isnt that enjoyable anymore.
Glad you went back to revisit the moment just so you could come here and have a big ol' ****in' sook about it. Thank you.

The sooner I can retire and leave this overtaxed, over governed, miserable place the better.
You will be missed Jackson68. Please remember to send a postcard.

Do people who bitch and sook about Welcome to Country cry hard about that shitty trumpet song they play before ANZAC Day? what about Australia Fair?

Eskimo Joe playing their codshit indie rock sucks arse too, sook about that for a change you sooks.
Birds of Tokyo is divisive too, cry hard about that one, they're shit, rip into them.

First of all Captain Cook was an explorer and cartographer. He had nothing to do with directly colonising any country. Only the completely ignorant will say otherwise. During his explorations, he made friends with many local populations, and doing so, made enemies of those that were enemies of his first friends. But that has all to do with local tensions, and nothing to do with being an explorer for the British crown. Contact with the local population was limited.

On his travels Cook arrived in many places — New Zealand, Hawaii and many islands in the Pacific

Lets not forget Canada and Alaska where he did a lot of surveying.

I don’t know whether any aboriginals were killed on his many arrivals but they did kill him on Hawaii
Captain Cook only made two known landings in Australia.
The first in 1770 was at Kurnell (near Botany Bay) and any aborigines in the vicinity avoided contact. Shots were fired at Botany Bay when the British party had spears thrown at them, but there is no evidence that anyone was killed or even hit

The second was up near Cooktown in the far north coast after the Endeavour was beached for repairs after crashing into the Great Barrier Reef. They spent 7 weeks repairing the ship and had a lot of friendly contact with the local aborigines, but that contact was still minimal.
I suppose they can make up whatever story they want these days? Captain Cook did not settle Australia either.

I have. There is no evidence of what you claimed.
He shot at 2 Indigenous warriors before he got off the boat, wounding one. He definately killed people or ordered his crew to.
Generally speaking he used floggings and terror to subdue the natives on his voyages. He liked
'carving crosses into natives’ flesh in revenge for petty crimes' and cutting through flesh to the bone.
'..on his third voyage, on the quest to find the Northwest Passage, Cook had begun to drown in some unseen, interior deluge. He sank into a black mood, lost touch with reality and inflicted punishments on his crew at the slightest whim. He paced the deck and flew into rages that the sailors called heivas, after a Tahitian stomping dance. He spread terror across the islands, torching entire villages and carving crosses into natives’ flesh in revenge for petty crimes.

He and his crew had sex with the natives knowing he would spread tuburculosis and syphlis .
The diseases he helped spread killed 2/3rds of Australian Aboriginees.

Got an issue with any of that?

Torching villages was just what they did at the time so it was ok.

I have. There is no evidence of what you claimed.
'After Endeavour anchored near the eastern bank of the Tūranganui River close to New Zealand’s present-day Gisborne, Te Maro, a senior man of the Ngāti Oneone group, was promptly shot and killed while leading a ceremonial challenge to the British sailors. At least eight more Māori were killed over the next few days in what British history has largely cast, based on the diaries of Cook and others on the Endeavour, as a misunderstanding.'

'On February 14, 1779 Captain James Cook of the british royal navy was killed by natives in Kealakekua Bay, on the Big Island of Hawaii. Cook was a true savage, who sailed across the world bringing murder, rape, disease, and colonialism to native peoples all over the Pacific. When he was killed, Cook was trying to kidnap the Hawaiian Aliʻi (tribal chief) Kalaniʻōpuʻu in response to an unknown person stealing a small boat. In the process, he had threatened to open fire on the islanders.

At this point, the Hawaiians decided they had enough of Cook’s bullshit, threatened with mass murder and the kidnapping of one of their tribal leaders, the Hawaiian islanders finally gave this piece of shit what he deserved: a beatdown on the beach, and a knife to the chest. This put an end to a lifetime of predatory behavior and conquest of lands in the service to the british empire.'
Native lives matter website.

Last edited:
What I was paraphrasing is the usual conservative reaction to why they think Ernie “made it up” in the 70s, not the true story.

They did create it for that event as they didn't have one to use.

So it would indicate it wasn't being commonly used as some others claim.

Like anything in many cultures things die out as time passes.

The cynic in me think it's made a come back because some people can profit from it.

Remove this Banner Ad

"Welcome To Country" Speeches .......... Gone Too Far Now ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back