"Welcome To Country" Speeches .......... Gone Too Far Now ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
The guy who did the 'welcome to country' ceremony prior to the Giants V Lions game semi-final seemed to use the platform more as a divisive political tool than a genuine & proud showing of the way the indigenous people have done things for many years.

There has been a lot of condemnation for his comments, especially the "BC ...... before Cook" part with observers in the media calling for this stuff to stop. The irony was that he introduced himself as a "cultural educator from the Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council" but he was not culturally sensitive at all.

“A Welcome to Country is not a ceremony we’ve invented to cater for white people”.

If these indigenous leaders are going to use primetime TV as an opportunity to be somewhat insulting & controversial like he did, should the AFL discontinue the practice ??

The guy who did the 'welcome to country' ceremony prior to the Giants V Lions game semi-final seemed to use the platform more as a divisive political tool than a genuine & proud showing of the way the indigenous people have done things for many years.
He debunked (or refuted) the idea that it is something made up purely for white people.

Why that should be a problem for some people is probably for them to work out for themselves.

Last edited:
I think it actually could have been a decent tool worded slightly better: the volume of times some idiot online says ‘why am I being welcomed to my own country, I’m as Australian as he is’

I liked that someone actually explained quite clearly that it’s not a welcome to Australia it’s a local welcome to tribal country in that particular area for anyone visiting. He worded it and presented it a little poorly though

So that means he shouldn't have told the truth?
Firstly, the very act of him accepting money from white people to welcome white people contradicts his truth.

Secondly, it means he should have picked a better platform to tell the truth or at least considered his audience when attempting educate. And when telling the truth it’s best to stick to the accepted figures instead of making up your own as it leads people to call into question the rest of your statement.

I think it actually could have been a decent tool worded slightly better: the volume of times some idiot online says ‘why am I being welcomed to my own country, I’m as Australian as he is’
What was his actual rebuttal to that? He seemed to call it out and then confirm it in the next breath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as I am sympathetic to what the Aboriginal people have been through it is pretty unfair to blame Cook. Given the era of exploration from the European powers and then colonising the places they found a European colony was going to be coming to Australia one way or another. It isn't like if Cook never existed the Aboriginal people would still be living as they were the previous 60,000 years in 2024.

I liked that someone actually explained quite clearly that it’s not a welcome to Australia it’s a local welcome to tribal country in that particular area for anyone visiting. He worded it and presented it a little poorly though

The way he explained it made a lot of sense and gave clarity to why they do it, that part of his speech was terrific.

The rest ...... ??

There has been a lot of condemnation for his comments, especially the "BC ...... before Cook" part with observers in the media calling for this stuff to stop. The irony was that he introduced himself as a "cultural educator from the Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council" but he was not culturally sensitive at all.

“A Welcome to Country is not a ceremony we’ve invented to cater for white people”.

If these indigenous leaders are going to use primetime TV as an opportunity to be somewhat insulting & controversial like he did, should the AFL discontinue the practice ??
Take it to Facebook mate. The comments section on there usually respond well to this sort of thing.

As much as I am sympathetic to what the Aboriginal people have been through it is pretty unfair to blame Cook. Given the era of exploration from the European powers and then colonising the places they found a European colony was going to be coming to Australia one way or another. It isn't like if Cook never existed the Aboriginal people would still be living as they were the previous 60,000 years in 2024.
And another captain cook brought us so much joy with multiple Ashes losses.

Remove this Banner Ad

"Welcome To Country" Speeches .......... Gone Too Far Now ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back