"Welcome To Country" Speeches .......... Gone Too Far Now ??

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Sport should be free of politics first of all.

Second i think welcome to country doesnt do anything for uniting infact the opposite.
What's political about it?

“A Welcome to Country is not a ceremony we’ve invented to cater for white people”.

If these indigenous leaders are going to use primetime TV as an opportunity to be somewhat insulting & controversial like he did, should the AFL discontinue the practice ??

He is 100% rolled gold correct that "Welcome to Country is not a ceremony we’ve invented to cater for white people".

Staggered that anyone would take offence to this or seek to deny this.

Welcome to Country is now a ceremony perpetuated/spread by white people to cater for other white people who want to feel better about themselves whilst engaging in symbolism only.

Last edited:
Just went back and watched it and it is just divisive crap.

It is getting beyond a joke now, how wit is shoved down our throats everyday.
I have to do this BS at every meeting I have, even if it is on ZOOM.
Next I will have a WTC to order a pizza.

Australia has gone mad with the way the country is going.
Between the corrupt and weak Governments, to the people who protest for the sake of protesting all the way to the people who fight a cause they know little about.
Australia just isnt that enjoyable anymore.

The sooner I can retire and leave this overtaxed, over governed, miserable place the better.

Second i think welcome to country doesnt do anything for uniting infact the opposite.

What on earth is political about being welcomed?

Thought it was good actually - knew there would be backlash from people though - some very sensitive mites out there.

My kids - who have very much grown up with grandparents and other folk who would anytime a WTC is done state ‘why should I be welcomed to my own country’ - told me after this WTC they understood better why this tradition exists. Which made them feel like ‘oh so this isn’t for grandma who hates it anyway’.

Well it is important when you want to trust the credibility of someone.

If someone can fabricate one bit of information why can't they fabricate a whole series of tales.

He's the first person to reel off 250,000 years.
No one actually knows. It is widely accepted that the first people arrived in "Australia" at least 65,000 years ago. No one knows for sure past that.

250,000 years does seem a strange number to run with but it is not a reason to dismiss everything else he said.

Well it's not up to you, it's up to Indigenous people. Why does your opinion matter? How long has your ancestry here been? 100 years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one actually knows. It is widely accepted that the first people arrived in "Australia" at least 65,000 years ago. No one knows for sure past that.

250,000 years does seem a strange number to run with but it is not a reason to dismiss everything else he said.
Whether it’s a good reason or not is irrelevant as many will dismiss what he says solely based on that. It’s his duty as a leader of the community not to make statements that call into question his credibility and the credibility of the indigenous people he represents by making questionable statements.

Dunny break
Bothers me that when they play Australia National Anthem Young and Free they tell me to remove my hat and tell me I can't order a ****ing beer. It's not my anthem, gagf.

“I’m here this evening to perform a ceremony of Welcome to Country,” Kerin began before the semi-final at Sydney Olympic Park.

“A Welcome to Country is not a welcome to Australia. Within Australia we have many Aboriginal lands and we refer to our lands as ‘country’.

“So it’s always a welcome to the lands you’ve gathered on.”

Kerin then pointed out it is not a relatively new ceremony aimed at white Australians.

“A Welcome to Country is not a ceremony we’ve invented to cater for white people,” he continued.

“It’s a ceremony we’ve been doing for 60,000 years-plus BC. And the BC stands for Before Cook.”

The last comment received a smattering of applause and a few laughs and was a reference to Captain James Cook, who made the first recorded European contact with Australian land in 1770.

“Prior to colonisation, you could get yourself in a lot of trouble for walking on someone else’s lands without being welcomed onto those lands,” Kerin added. “So for me it’s always an honour to perform this ceremony.”

Kerin, who received more warm applause after his speech, then played a short piece on a didgeridoo before the National Anthem was sung by Mimi Velevska.

Whoever wrote this needs to do some more research.
Willem Janszoon got here a long time before Cook. So did Dirk Hartog albeit a few kilometres separated him from the actual mainland of the continent.
He wasn’t even the first Englishman to arrive here: Dampier beat him by nearly 100 years.

Don't have to dismiss it, but people can also take it with a grain of salt as to if it is true or not.

You started saying civilisation instead of continuous connection to the land.

I referred to the article you posted.

'We’ll hear much today about how Cook brought “enlightenment” to a continent that has staged the world’s longest continuous civilisation for 100,000 years.

So I didn't start using it, the article did. Thus I questioned who wrote that nonsense.

Remove this Banner Ad

"Welcome To Country" Speeches .......... Gone Too Far Now ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back