Toast Welcome to Fremantle Matthew Johnson (pick 21 2021 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

How good was this bloke on the weekend? I was the first to criticise his efforts at the beginning of the year so I will admit he has really hit some form over the last month. The most exciting part is that he is only 21. Hopefully over the next few years we can see him use that 194 cm frame to hit the scoreboard and add contested marking to his game.

I reckon dudes packing on size - like Johnson has been- play sore/tired.

Once he gets comfy being a monster, he is going to really hurt people.

Taranto spent a lot of the game holding on to Johnno. After one particularly egregious act of interference Johnno accidentally backed into him and completely turtled him.

It was beautiful.

But he needs to be like Trace when he runs through dudes. Completely fair and non-malicious. They’re just in the way.

He was good on the weekend but did have more time in traffic against the bottom team in the league. He will still frustrate us at times by not giving off to the first option in pressure games but has so much potential to play a variety of roles from Nat Fyfe to David Mundy’s role.

He was good on the weekend but did have more time in traffic against the bottom team in the league. He will still frustrate us at times by not giving off to the first option in pressure games but has so much potential to play a variety of roles from Nat Fyfe to David Mundy’s role.
I don't find him frustrating at all, tbh. Great to watch.

One thing which pleased me was some of his kicks had a bit more penetration and less hang time. Was getting a bit concerned his kicks were a bit loopy.
His kicking was very good in his draft year. The last two games we've seen some excellent I50 passes which is exactly what we need. Just needs to find more of the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on today's result, I think we really missed our big bodied midfielders in Fyfe and Johnson. Do we think Johnson can become another clearance beast for Fremantle? Out of curiosity I compared Johnson to Cripps, Fyfe and the Bont at the age of 21 as they all have a similar physical build. Johnson is very much behind all three players in clearances and contested possessions. I know it's kind of silly to compare Johnson to those greats but I was kind of hoping he would be following a similar trajectory lol.

Based on today's result, I think we really missed our big bodied midfielders in Fyfe and Johnson. Do we think Johnson can become another clearance beast for Fremantle? Out of curiosity I compared Johnson to Cripps, Fyfe and the Bont at the age of 21 as they all have a similar physical build. Johnson is very much behind all three players in clearances and contested possessions. I know it's kind of silly to compare Johnson to those greats but I was kind of hoping he would be following a similar trajectory lol.
Maybe down the track. Short term prob not. Really hope if Fyfe is out they use Brodie for that role

Cripps and bont would have got more mid time due to team being crap.

Fyfe more mid time because he was Fyfe.

Johnson way more time on the wing because that what suits our team imo. If he had 40 games of mid into him like Serong/Brayshaw got from day 1 I reckon he'd be near their level.

Cripps and bont would have got more mid time due to team being crap.

Fyfe more mid time because he was Fyfe.

Johnson way more time on the wing because that what suits our team imo. If he had 40 games of mid into him like Serong/Brayshaw got from day 1 I reckon he'd be near their level.
Actually that's a very good point, I didn't consider that. Johnson is meant to be the Fyfe replacement so we really need him to become a clearance beast.

Actually that's a very good point, I didn't consider that. Johnson is meant to be the Fyfe replacement so we really need him to become a clearance beast.

I think you can see he moves very well in traffic, just needs more time to get the decision making right and get stronger.

I think you can see he moves very well in traffic, just needs more time to get the decision making right and get stronger.
Yeah not too concerned about that, it will come with experience. The main thing I want to see from Johnson is more clearences and contested possessions. His game against Sydney showed that potential with 21 disposals, 13 contested possessions and 6 clearances. If he can add that to his game our midfield will be unstoppable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to Fremantle Matthew Johnson (pick 21 2021 AFL Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back