Toast Welcome to Freo Jeremy Sharp - SSP Selection 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I mean, the sprint didn't exactly seem like a serious thing; they had players/runners who had left the line before they had even pulled the trigger. Sharp was having a good old laugh at the race finish, congratulating the other players and looking very happy about the whole thing.

Geez I think this is the first time I’ve ever seen someone take the race seriously.

We had Brayshaw and Schultz running it the past couple years. It’s just a bit of fun
How about when we put haselby in there

I see sharps spot as something that we should look to be getting more out of

Good endurance, average skills, poor in contest, zero versatility.

I'd prefer to play an extra mid and rotate that fat side wing with Freddy, Sturt, NOD, MJ, AB maybe give Chapman a bit of a run there.

In a big game if you're getting the ball on the outside you've got to provide some class, or be able to push deep into either 50 and have an impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He didn't come last. He came 8th. There were heats beforehand to narrow it down from 18. I think he came 4th in his heat. And he was clearly taking the piss in the final.
I don't think the race has much relevance to speed on a footy field. Among other things dont they race in sneakers which is different to running in footy boots.

How about when we put haselby in there

I see sharps spot as something that we should look to be getting more out of

Good endurance, average skills, poor in contest, zero versatility.

I'd prefer to play an extra mid and rotate that fat side wing with Freddy, Sturt, NOD, MJ, AB maybe give Chapman a bit of a run there.

In a big game if you're getting the ball on the outside you've got to provide some class, or be able to push deep into either 50 and have an impact.
There's a bunch of stuff that Sharp should look to work on. Goal kicking accuracy. General play kicking vision and execution. Intercept play. Finishing off defensive plays (too often he almost but didn't quite get the spoil). Strength in the contest. Maybe cleaner hands. The list goes on. But he's 23 and coming off 2 years of state league footy. If he improves like a couple of those areas, which he's capable of doing, he's more than fine. For reference, we rue losing Acres, but Acres was older when we traded him in than Sharp is now, and Acres wasn't that guy until year 3 here.

When you say "good endurance" I think you're really underestimating how clear Sharp is of the rest of the team as a runner. He opens the ground up for us to a level that nobody on the team can really come close to. Top 10 in his combine over 20m and 2km, and the endurance especially has only improved ever since.

He should spend preseason running and kicking on his left foot, even if all he is practicing is a 50m smashing hoof down the line.
He has a left foot? He runs around all the time to use his right. Missed a late goal against Collingwood because being pushed to the left had to kick with his Right on the inside. Sharp has been a solid pick up but could easily be replaced. A dual sided winger would be ideal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to Freo Jeremy Sharp - SSP Selection 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back