Toast Welcome to Freo Michael Frederick – Fremantle’s 4th 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #61]

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he was only adequate yesterday. We need him performing much better than that if we are gonna contend this year.
Like you said, he has so much more potential.
Getting a concussion must have players ‘out of sorts’ for months. I have a strong feeling he will get his groove back as we get closer to finals. That’s what I currently love about Freo - if someone is down, others lift.

Getting a concussion must have players ‘out of sorts’ for months. I have a strong feeling he will get his groove back as we get closer to finals. That’s what I currently love about Freo - if someone is down, others lift.
They say that the true strength of a team is measured by your bottom six players. Now, I’m not suggesting for a moment that Freddy is in the bottom six of our team but in terms of his output yesterday, he was in the bottom six.
If that effort is reflective of our bottom six yesterday, we are building a great team.

They say that the true strength of a team is measured by your bottom six players. Now, I’m not suggesting for a moment that Freddy is in the bottom six of our team but in terms of his output yesterday, he was in the bottom six.
If that effort is reflective of our bottom six yesterday, we are building a great team.
I like that our top 6 and bottom 6 have been on a sliding scale and have been rotating

This may be a left field call, particularly after a win, but a few coaches i've chatted to have pointed out that giving Frederick the odd burst at centre bounce attendances might add something to our mix, ala papley/swita/liam ryan/zurhaar/rankine/kozzypickett

The one thing we lack in the middle is pure acceleration and burst speed from stoppage, and I feel it could allow Frederick to get more involved.

I for one would love to see what he could add to our centre stoppage midfield mix now and then.

This may be a left field call, particularly after a win, but a few coaches i've chatted to have pointed out that giving Frederick the odd burst at centre bounce attendances might add something to our mix, ala papley/swita/liam ryan/zurhaar/rankine/kozzypickett

The one thing we lack in the middle is pure acceleration and burst speed from stoppage, and I feel it could allow Frederick to get more involved.

I for one would love to see what he could add to our centre stoppage midfield mix now and then.

He running it out of the middle would be epic

It would have to be an over the preseason thing to train for, it’s a lot different learning all the setups than just keeping width, which is his current role.
I'm not convinced the list I mentioned trained a hell of a lot with the cba crew pre being thrown in there. A lot of them seem to have been lobbed in like hand grenades to cause chaos, and mix things up a bit with some raw speed and power.

Definitely a wild card Longmuir could look at in certain game situations, it took him a long time to listen to Joel Corey and chuck Hayden Young in (mid-season) last year, so I'm not sure how flexible/lateral he is with midfield mix, but you never know. Took John Longmire extensive injuries to finally let Heeney have a consistent run in the centre - sometimes coaches need their hands forced to think outside the box.

I'm not convinced the list I mentioned trained a hell of a lot with the cba crew pre being thrown in there. A lot of them seem to have been lobbed in like hand grenades to cause chaos, and mix things up a bit with some raw speed and power.

Definitely a wild card Longmuir could look at in certain game situations, it took him a long time to listen to Joel Corey and chuck Hayden Young in (mid-season) last year, so I'm not sure how flexible/lateral he is with midfield mix, but you never know. Took John Longmire extensive injuries to finally let Heeney have a consistent run in the centre - sometimes coaches need their hands forced to think outside the box.

The decision to move Young into the centre and forward has helped Freo on multiple levels

Picture it. Time on the last quarter of the GF and Freo trail by a point. It’s back in the centre and Fast Freddy is injected into the centre square. Darcy gets it down to Serong who lays it off to Freddy who takes off takes 2 bounces and slots it from 50! Love it.
Not sure my heart would be able to cope on GF day if that's the scenario.

I do agree that he adds an extra dimension and attributes to the forward line but also think he's way off his 2022 and 2023 form. Maybe it has to do with the concussion, I don't know. He had a good patch earlier in the season where he would make 4-5 tackles a game. In the last 6 games he's made a total of 2 tackles in total. I expect more.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Switta does this to great effect at the moment, when he's put in there

I think he's developing alright. Super reliable set shot and has also become a solid mark.
There’s no question on his skills; he has the attributes.
The biggest issue he needs to address is disappearing for lengthy periods. He drifts out of the game too much.
Of course this may be after effects of concussion.

People say he's out of form. I rewatched the game and noticed him free in great positions with his elite running. Players often don't pass to him as a wide receiver instead bomb it in.

People say he's out of form. I rewatched the game and noticed him free in great positions with his elite running. Players often don't pass to him as a wide receiver instead bomb it in.
Yes, there’s one just after Sturt runs too far. We got the turn over and the ball went into the pocket to Sturt, but Freddie is completely open in the corridor

Yes, there’s one just after Sturt runs too far. We got the turn over and the ball went into the pocket to Sturt, but Freddie is completely open in the corridor

And Darcey kicking a goal from a forward fifty entry that bounced towards him from a lucky bounce.

Freddy 20m in space 45 metres out with what would have been an easy set shot.

He does the hard yards

I was listening to the game on the radio and, after Frederick kicked his goal in the fourth quarter, the commentator said that it was his seventh possession for seven score involvements.

He’s a low possession, high impact player. I agree that opposition teams need to properly respect him, which helps create space and opportunities for our other forwards.

I was listening to the game on the radio and, after Frederick kicked his goal in the fourth quarter, the commentator said that it was his seventh possession for seven score involvements.

He’s a low possession, high impact player. I agree that opposition teams need to properly respect him, which helps create space and opportunities for our other forwards.
Frederick is a line breaker who's very hard for the opposition to contain. He's a brilliant weapon to have for ball movement, particularly with the stand rule.

He'll shred opposition defensive structures with his pace and power. He doesn't need to get the ball too much to significantly add to the team. Obviously the more he gets it the better for us though and a part of his game he can build.

We all know his value and strengths but I still think two tackles in 6 games is poor. Not aware of any forward in the AFL with those sort of numbers. Switta had about 30 in the same timeframe. Even Banners and a big fella like JT had 15. As I said, when he was going well he'd have at least 3 or 4 a game.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Welcome to Freo Michael Frederick – Fremantle’s 4th 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #61]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back