Toast Welcome to Freo Michael Frederick – Fremantle’s 4th 2019 National Draft Pick [Pick #61]

Remove this Banner Ad

We all know his value and strengths but I still think two tackles in 6 games is poor. Not aware of any forward in the AFL with those sort of numbers. Switta had about 30 in the same timeframe. Even Banners and a big fella like JT had 15. As I said, when he was going well he'd have at least 3 or 4 a game.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Freddy has electric speed. Committing to a tackle and thereby putting himself on the back foot (so to speak) is perhaps not the most strategic use of his attributes. His role vis-a-vis defense is to corral and chase. I’d be surprised if that is not a coaching directive.

Freddy has electric speed. Committing to a tackle and thereby putting himself on the back foot (so to speak) is perhaps not the most strategic use of his attributes. His role vis-a-vis defense is to corral and chase. I’d be surprised if that is not a coaching directive.
Nah his defensive work is not good enough end of story. He needs to up his involvement or his defensive pressure. His work creating space and finishing when he gets it is good but without further improvement he will eventually get superseded.

He's always corralled instead of tackled but even then, I've seen opposition ruckmen step around him. When he's at his best and getting involved, he's getting 2 or 3 tackles in a game.

Was noticing the same thing about tackling and chase watching the Richmond game.
Would like to see Freddy with the same killer instinct Treacy has

Bloke needs to lift a bit. Can be the difference, but we need him getting 15-20 on the regular, coupled with a goal or two and some tackles...for a guy who is so quick his lack of tackles gives me the shits
Probably what is worse is that his run down tackles were a highlight of his game. We get better pressure from our talls than Freddy. Seems the smalls are leaving to Sam to do now. I guess it could be a role change but would love to see a Freddy tackle again.

His numbers are reduced by the amount of times he's been subbed out early this year and reduced time on ground.

He's not improved this season but he's certainly not gone backwards.

I think he's not up to full fitness yet or we are managing his load for finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His numbers are reduced by the amount of times he's been subbed out early this year and reduced time on ground.

I hope you are right..

Disagree with that. He's gone backwards for sure. His 2022 was better than 2023, but even last year I think he came 10th in the Doig. I could conservatively pick 16 or 17 ahead of him this year. I can't think of any stat or metric which would be better this year. He started the year pretty well though.

Last edited:

He’s just coasting right now. He’s the perfect candidate for a couple of weeks of tough love in the WAFL.
Bailey Dale got the ass from Bevo for a week or two in the VFL after some poor early form and he has been superb since he came back in.
There is nothing like a bit of jeopardy for your spot in the team to get someone playing on the edge.

No one can convince me we are seeing the best of Frederick right now.

He’s just coasting right now. He’s the perfect candidate for a couple of weeks of tough love in the WAFL.
Bailey Dale got the ass from Bevo for a week or two in the VFL after some poor early form and he has been superb since he came back in.
There is nothing like a bit of jeopardy for your spot in the team to get someone playing on the edge.

No one can convince me we are seeing the best of Frederick right now.
We have no one to replace him, the cupboard is quite bare when it comes to forwards. Also I think he is playing a different role which isn't getting the most out of him.

We have no one to replace him, the cupboard is quite bare when it comes to forwards. Also I think he is playing a different role which isn't getting the most out of him.
There was a recent article that claimed Fremantle wanted their players to commit to not playing with their egos, but maybe Freddy is an exception who should be playing with an ego - those cartwheels can ignite a team, which I believe Bolton fans are looking for

Remove this Banner Ad

Back