Universal Love Welcome to Freo- Nathan O'Driscoll (Pick 27)

Remove this Banner Ad

My query is, do we think NOD is a wingman?
Or is he an explosive line breaking mid?

Considering we moved Young forward and had NOD at a couple of center bounces I would assume it might be the later. I think the wing thing was just getting him games while he was young and didn't have the physique to play in the middle.

My query is, do we think NOD is a wingman?
Or is he an explosive line breaking mid

Considering we moved Young forward and had NOD at a couple of center bounces I would assume it might be the later. I think the wing thing was just getting him games while he was young and didn't have the physique to play in the middle.
Yeah he certainly performed above expectations on the wing in 22’
And I’d be confident can perform there again moving forward But his best long term position and best value to the team is as line breaking mid.

Has all the physical attributes and importantly the competitive nature to boot

Johnson the clear front runner for it IMO

Then hopefully it goes to the Chad the year after
I would like to see the MC have an open mind next season, for a change, and choose the best option at the time. You can't always predict a players trajectory years in advance so they should wait and see . Johnson is quite slow in the head. Unless he improves in that area, i could certainly see that other players might fill Fyfes role better than him. If it isn't already decided irrespective. Which is a possibility with this lot of if course. Connolly made the same mistake.
I'm fine with Chad though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to see the MC have an open mind next season, for a change, and choose the best option at the time. You can't always predict a players trajectory years in advance so they should wait and see . Johnson is quite slow in the head. Unless he improves in that area, i could certainly see that other players might fill Fyfes role better than him. If it isn't already decided irrespective. Which is a possibility with this lot of if course. Connolly made the same mistake.
I'm fine with Chad though.
I rate Johnson pretty highly tbh

Love the way he can walk through tackles, more time in the guts and he starts stepping through them as well IMO

It certainly seems they are thinking NOD is an option here, he’s been playing as a mid at peel and when he was subbed on got thrown straight into CBA (sometimes along with Johnson but also instead of him)
Yes. I think there are a few options. May the best man get the job based purely on merit at the time.

Love the way he can walk through tackles, more time in the guts and he starts stepping through them as well IMO
It may end up that way or someone else may end up being better. I don't care who gets the gig as long as it isn't predetermined and they look at all the evidence at the time. I could think of a few that could just as easily fill that role, some of whom are a bit further along in development than Johnson at the present time. I just don't want it to be like you, where it is already decided.

That’s great but he needs to get through his head he doesn’t have to do it every single time he gets the ball which is exactly what he does.

Has serious composure issues highlighted by the fact that for supposedly decent kick he barely registers points anytime going for goal ,often under little to no pressure

His poor temperament also seems him prone to dummy spitting and banfield type brain fades.

All the physical attributes in the world a near pointless until he gets up to speed with the mental side of the game

Last edited:
Was a breath of fresh air out there last night, the speed and extra left foot in the midfield will help our forward entries be less predictable for oppo defenses.

Rooting for Driz to live up to his potential and lock down B22 for 2025.

Yeah looks really good in the middle, on very little exposure of course.
Another reason to send Serong forward more imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O'driscoll has a big year ahead of him. Just read his draft profile:

STRENGTHS:
Work-rate
Athleticism
Tackling
Production
Versatility
Contested game
Overhead Marking

IMPROVEMENTS:
Scoreboard impact
Kick-to-handball ratio

There aren't many players in this draft pool who work as hard as O’Driscoll does. He is a running machine who works hard whether his side is attacking or defending, which will make him very coachable in the modern game.

It’s easy to see his natural defending style through his tackling numbers, as he will always chase and will stick on his direct opponent like glue around stoppages.

Despite being on the leaner side, O’Driscoll cracks in hard to win his own ball. Even at League level, he wasn’t afraid to get his hands dirty. This goes for his marks as well as he attacks the ball in the air, often showing courage either coming form the side or going back with the flight with eyes firmly on the ball and nothing else.

O’Driscoll blitzed the combine with some impressive numbers across the board. His endurance results wouldn’t surprise anyone with the way he runs in games, and his speed is also on display when chasing or running from contest to contest. This athleticism to go with his size and work-rate will make him a very versatile player at AFL level.

It’s likely he will be used as a tagger early in his career with his running power and competitiveness at a strong level already.

O’Driscoll tested well at the combine for speed and agility, but he doesn’t really use those tools when in possession as he doesn’t really burn off his opponents with the ball and can get caught when taking a little while to get going.

He also needs to find the balance of winning the ball himself and really bursting from the stoppage and using his long kicking to really cause damage as the likes of Patrick Dangerfield do. To reiterate, he has the tools required to become that player, but just needs to work at showing those traits out on the field

O'driscoll has a big year ahead of him. Just read his draft profile:

STRENGTHS:
Work-rate
Athleticism
Tackling
Production
Versatility
Contested game
Overhead Marking

IMPROVEMENTS:
Scoreboard impact
Kick-to-handball ratio

There aren't many players in this draft pool who work as hard as O’Driscoll does. He is a running machine who works hard whether his side is attacking or defending, which will make him very coachable in the modern game.

It’s easy to see his natural defending style through his tackling numbers, as he will always chase and will stick on his direct opponent like glue around stoppages.

Despite being on the leaner side, O’Driscoll cracks in hard to win his own ball. Even at League level, he wasn’t afraid to get his hands dirty. This goes for his marks as well as he attacks the ball in the air, often showing courage either coming form the side or going back with the flight with eyes firmly on the ball and nothing else.

O’Driscoll blitzed the combine with some impressive numbers across the board. His endurance results wouldn’t surprise anyone with the way he runs in games, and his speed is also on display when chasing or running from contest to contest. This athleticism to go with his size and work-rate will make him a very versatile player at AFL level.

It’s likely he will be used as a tagger early in his career with his running power and competitiveness at a strong level already.

O’Driscoll tested well at the combine for speed and agility, but he doesn’t really use those tools when in possession as he doesn’t really burn off his opponents with the ball and can get caught when taking a little while to get going.

He also needs to find the balance of winning the ball himself and really bursting from the stoppage and using his long kicking to really cause damage as the likes of Patrick Dangerfield do. To reiterate, he has the tools required to become that player, but just needs to work at showing those traits out on the field
Nice write up but I don’t think he can become Danger. Happy to be proven wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Welcome to Freo- Nathan O'Driscoll (Pick 27)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back