List Mgmt. Welcome to GWS Jake Stein!

Remove this Banner Ad

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
happy the club is looking outside the square and this guy has all the athletic gifts so hopefully it works out!

IMG_0399.JPG

The GIANTS have signed former Commonwealth Games decathlete Jake Stein as a category B rookie.

At 22 years of age, Stein is an exciting prospect hailing from Penrith in Western Sydney.

A World Youth Athletic Championships Gold Medalist in 2011, Stein represented Australia at the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow before giving away the sport earlier this year.

Stein is eligible for a category B rookie contract having not been registered in an Australian Football competition in the last three years.

Having grown up playing soccer and athletics, Stein has also been courted by Rugby League teams in recent years.

Stein said after trialling with the GIANTS over the last six months, he’s excited to join the list.

“It’s fantastic to be part of this club and I’m looking forward to what’s to come,” Stein said.

“Athletics is a bit of a lonely sport at times compared to footy where you have 40 guys on the list so I can’t wait to be back in that team culture.

“Having only started following AFL closely in recent years, I’ve got a real appreciation of how hard the players work and the different skill set that’s required.

“They’re incredible athletes and now that I’ve been lucky enough to get this opportunity, I can’t wait to give it my best crack.

“AFL is really starting to build in Western Sydney and Western Sydney is really embracing the GIANTS and I hope I can play in role in that continuing.”

GIANTS General Manager of Football Wayne Campbell welcomed Stein to the club.

“Jake’s a very gifted athlete and an impressive person and we’re delighted he’s joined the GIANTS,” Campbell said.

“He’s got a strong sporting background and he’s impressed in a number of trials he’s done with our staff over the course of this year.

“Jake will work closely with our development coaches to get up to speed as quickly as possible and we look forward to seeing him commence training with our younger players next week.”

The GIANTS will welcome the next batch of players to join their list at the NAB AFL Draft held at Sydney’s Hordern Pavilion on Friday, November 25.

80719e32f220f04f7095589dd207e305.jpg

Very figjam

Personally, 22 years of age is a bit old to try this sort of stuff. Nothing lost, but I wouldn't have huge expectations. He basically starts one year older than what Israel was, and at least Israel had experience at an elite level in a professional, body contact team sport.

He is not tall enough to be a ruck man, which means he will need to use his athleticism around the ground.

The article talks about him being a defender, but seriously, you wouldn't risk him in defence in his first season, in a team making a legitimate tilt at a premiership.

We can probably carry him in a special category outside of the normal squad numbers, so it's probably no big deal giving it a go.

Personally, 22 years of age is a bit old to try this sort of stuff. Nothing lost, but I wouldn't have huge expectations. He basically starts one year older than what Israel was, and at least Israel had experience at an elite level in a professional, body contact team sport.

He is not tall enough to be a ruck man, which means he will need to use his athleticism around the ground.

The article talks about him being a defender, but seriously, you wouldn't risk him in defence in his first season, in a team making a legitimate tilt at a premiership.

We can probably carry him in a special category outside of the normal squad numbers, so it's probably no big deal giving it a go.
Cat B rookie mate, doesn't count to list size per se

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pardon my ignorance, Ellie, but has there ever been an AFL player to come out of Penrith?

Michael Hartley was originally rookied by Collingwood under the old NSW Scholarship program, though he never played a senior game for them. He then got delisted, played a bit of VFL and was drafted last year by Essendon and played 19 games for them.

Also - Nic Natinui was born at Nepean hospital and lived his first 18 months in Penrith before moving to Perth, but I'm not sure that really counts (though happy to use the word "homecoming" if we somehow managed to snag him)

Also - we picked up Renee Tompkins for the Women's team who is from the Riff.

Michael Hartley was originally rookied by Collingwood under the old NSW Scholarship program, though he never played a senior game for them. He then got delisted, played a bit of VFL and was drafted last year by Essendon and played 19 games for them.

Also - Nic Natinui was born at Nepean hospital and lived his first 18 months in Penrith before moving to Perth, but I'm not sure that really counts (though happy to use the word "homecoming" if we somehow managed to snag him)

Also - we picked up Renee Tompkins for the Women's team who is from the Riff.
Thanks Ich! I actually knew about Renee! I should have clarified the men's team. Being female I shouldn't ever do us a disservice by neglecting to make the distinction. :oops::D

The topic is Welcome to GWS Jake Stein! The picture is of Jake Stein. It's exactly on topic.

Look, the fist comment was a bit snarky but ok, so what. The photo was a bit of a pose. But then I pointed you in the direction of his interview, where he explained where he was coming from and what he hoped to achieve, which, without a doubt, disproves your FIGJAM accusation.

The trouble is you then came back and doubled down on insulting the kid.

Did you watch the video? Listen to what he had to say and how he said it?

Clearly not, or you wouldn't have doubled down. Your entire opinion of him is based on a single still, probably posed by the photographer, photo. Pictures may be able to tell a thousand words, but they can also lie their arses off.

I'm pretty sure that with a little bit of effort I could find photos of more than half your team that scream FIGJAM. Would they be accurate reflections of the individuals? Maybe... probably not. But you see, I don't do that sort of s#*t. And I certainly don't do it on your board.

You have done what you have done to be deliberately insulting. You have gone out of your way to come onto another club's board to say disparaging things about their players and then doubled down by insulting the posters who answer back. The first post wasn't, but every post since screams TROLL.

Seriously dude, you need to learn some manners.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back