Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe not now but in a few years i imagine he might take a few center bounces as well

That's what struck me too - I don't actually think he is a small forward anymore - he's an athletically freakish inside mid.

I expected something more akin to Ginnivan as a forward - incredible reader of the play, finding space through his smarts and elite disposal skills - not an athletic profile of elite speed, leap and HARD contested work.

I'm guessing his junior career was a star mid, gradually getting pushed out to the flank/pocket by coaches who were wary of his size - his attack on the contest is truly elite - he uses his physicality to impact upon contests better than most - he probably had to "prove" himself at every level and so that level of hyper-commitment to the contest became his natural state. He's always redlining at 100%, where most players might only run at 80%. (Might also help explain the goal-kicking accuracy woes). Experience will bring composure - allow him that moment to pull back on the adrenaline rush, and increase his control.

I get such strong Akermanis vibes from Watson (obviously needs to work on his kicking as Aker was ridiculous) - but more the presence, and ability to impact a game. I'm fully anticipating him doing both the mercurial, and just breaking a game wide open with quick goals.

That's what struck me too - I don't actually think he is a small forward anymore - he's an athletically freakish inside mid.

I expected something more akin to Ginnivan as a forward - incredible reader of the play, finding space through his smarts and elite disposal skills - not an athletic profile of elite speed, leap and HARD contested work.

I'm guessing his junior career was a star mid, gradually getting pushed out to the flank/pocket by coaches who were wary of his size - his attack on the contest is truly elite - he uses his physicality to impact upon contests better than most - he probably had to "prove" himself at every level and so that level of hyper-commitment to the contest became his natural state. He's always redlining at 100%, where most players might only run at 80%. (Might also help explain the goal-kicking accuracy woes). Experience will bring composure - allow him that moment to pull back on the adrenaline rush, and increase his control.
Many coaches kept him forward and cleared out the forward line to let him do his thing :p

The mark whilst diving backwards, the crumb at lightning speed on the wing, the recovery pace, being around the ball so often in dangerous positions and of course the 4 shots on goal a game = signs he will absolutely be a star.

If he really works on his already good Tackling he could be the Rioli replacement as his has very good closing speed.

Maybe not now but in a few years i imagine he might take a few center bounces as well
I'm a lot more optimistic of that now than when he was first drafted. I don't think it'll ever be many and he won't be part of a predictable rotation, but he'll definitely get some. That body contact mark on the weekend confirmed he has the strength to match it with the bigger lads.

I'm a lot more optimistic of that now than when he was first drafted. I don't think it'll ever be many and he won't be part of a predictable rotation, but he'll definitely get some. That body contact mark on the weekend confirmed he has the strength to match it with the bigger lads.
he reads the ball of hands and in the air very well and positions himself to get at the ball. Had some almost moments in the forward line where he went at top pace through a stoppage getting his hands on the ball but not carrying it with him. Everything he does seems to be at pace its what makes him exciting

20 scoring shots in just 7 games.
4 goals assists.
Incredible.

People need to stop focusing on what he’s doing wrong, and appreciate what he is doing right ALREADY!

He will iron out his goalkicking.

If he had only kicked 5 goals in his first 7 games - omitting his misses - plus all that he has shown to date, we’d all be over the moon.

Instead people obsess over his missed shots and neglect his amazing performances to date, forgetting how hard it is for a rookie small forward to make ANY impact in a game at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I did mention that he was more than a forward pocket before he got drafted to virtual disbelief by a lot of posters. I have been fortunate to see this kid over the last 3 years. Can't wait for him to tear a game apart you just know it will be box office.

Well I did mention that he was more than a forward pocket before he got drafted to virtual disbelief by a lot of posters. I have been fortunate to see this kid over the last 3 years. Can't wait for him to tear a game apart you just know it will be box office.

Against Geelong in Geelong

Another almost game for the Wiz today, but still did his part despite the inefficiency.

The player that he could be is already evident - he's averaging the 6th most shots on goal of any med/small forward. Unfortunately the player that he is means that those 3.5 shots have a 21.4% conversion rate. He'll turn it around, hopefully soon.

Eddie Murphy GIF by Coming to America

Doesn’t mean I also don’t go slightly mad at his wayward kicking.

I get real nervous when he's kicking for goal. He must be in an absolute twist at this point.

He's doing everything right, and thought once he nailed that one from a straight line run up that he'd be fine.

He's in his own head, but he'll get there. It's important that he does because it saps the team confidence a bit when he misses a few, and he's good enough to create a lot of chances.

It was interesting to see Harley Reid miss a couple of gettables yesterday - it's a reminder how new these guys are to senior footy.

I just want to fast forward at this point. I'm so confident that Wiz will be carving it up very soon.

The snap across the body technique promotes an attitude of indifference to goalkicking.

Snap shots are intended for difficult angles only.

Using them for anything else removes the responsibility on the player to kick straight, bc snap shots imply that the shit is difficultt.

So you see players just whack it on the boot and rarely ever dismayed at missing, unlike when they use a drop punt.

It’s a massive cop out and I’m stunned we haven’t seen coaches rule them out for all but the most acute angles.

Any more than 15-20m out and 1-2m from the boundary line and you’re kicking a drop punt son.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson! Rising star Nom!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back