Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Jasper Scaife - Pick 5, 2024 MSD

Remove this Banner Ad

Jasper has great attributes and I would like to see how he goes at the top level. In saying that I have to take into consideration that he is still very young and learning. I am sure he will have a breakout game in the near future. I have to temper my expectations and let things play out.

Great kick, perfect size, strong hands on the lead and quite quick. Also a huge opportunity with Lewis out and our lack of tall forward depth with Ryan traded, in a side who gives their forwards every chance with ball movement, and also support of so many smalls to knock it down to. Opportunity for development is when the ball hits the ground to be staying busy, pressuring the defenders, laying tackles, and ability to really impact contests when the ball isn't coming to him etc. That seems crucial to our set up, is just to compete and be in the contest. It's not that I doubt it, just I reckon those are the things we'll be working with him from now, and into the next pre-season, and if he can do those things he'll give himself a real chance.

From general play:

Chad Warner is the only bloke who has more than 10 shots from outside 50, for a return of 6.5 with 1 no score.

From a set shot:

H Mckay - 14 shots, 3.4, 7 no score
Walker - 13 shots, 4.5, 4 no score
Cameron - 12 shots, 5.3, 4 no score
Daniher - 12 shots, 4.5, 3 no score
Curnow - 11 shots, 3.8, 0 no score
JUH - 11 shots, 2.4, 5 no score

So no, not as many as there used to be, at least observationally. I imagine game plan, playing the percentages and workrate & exhaustion play a big part in that.

Hawthorn are outright last as a club for shots from outside 50 with 28, Sydney are outright first with 48.
Dan Houston comes to mind

Genuine question…

Who could eat more cheeseburger out of Scaife or meek?
Question Reaction GIF by ProBit Global

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Try something unconventional and play him against Carlton, they have one quality defender (Weitering) so would allow one of our 3 talls to get loose.
Weitering would be above any player that's played on him before & a massive task for Jasper.
I guess this is for the BHH eyeballs that watch the team closely, what's his tank like & could he play out a whole game of afl?

It is really promising that Scaife is having a large impact at VFL level. I love watching him lead like a bull.

In saying that, he shouldn't debut yet. He is very much a lead, take mark / drop mark and repeat type player. Super strong on the lead but not very agile. At AFL level, the better defenders will shut that down and his ground ball game isn't where it needs to be.

This isn't a Dear scenario where his constant tackling and defensive efforts have translated. Happy for Jasper to keep kicking them, and build on the areas he needs to for a big 2025.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Jasper Scaife - Pick 5, 2024 MSD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back